Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 11th August 2017, 22:08   #1
bikerdude666
Posted a thing or two

Jaguar Xe diseasal

Default Dunkirk...

Has anyone else here been to see the new Dunkirk film? Just got back from seeing it, and theres a few bits I'd change, mainly the timeline of things, as there seemed to be a few things where you saw the same thing again and again, but from a different perspective, but it didn't quite tie in right for me. But over all, it was great to see a war film, that wasn't taken over by Hollywoods big budget and massive special effects, just a good honest film, with genuine machinery from Dunkirk (a few of the 'little boats', and 'The' Spitfire), really felt like it gave an insight into it rather than just a piece of entertainment.
bikerdude666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2017, 05:20   #2
rustymotor
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

Hi, I watch anything on TV about the world wars, my kids will flick through the channels and if they see a war film they flick the remote real fast so I don't notice it..but I do notice hehe.

To my surprise two of them 17 and 19 year old went to see Dunkirk the other evening, when picking them up asked how was the film, great dad was the reply..
rustymotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2017, 08:33   #3
Gino
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer

I went to see it last week with the other half, she found it very emotional. I think it was a very good film, with a good story which didn't need special effects to make it good.
I was a bit concerned about how the time line was set out before the film, but in the end I thought it worked really well.
If you haven't seen it I would thoroughly recommend it.

Rob

MODS DONE;

plenum spyhole, bonnet cable divider block (previous owner), chrome wing mirror covers, gold fan resistor (previous owner), s/s bumper bolts, uprated under tray fittings
silicone intercooler hose, Viton O rings, Crofts door finishers, boot badge, wood dash, Phil-t4's magic wand, wood wheel, mk2 repeaters, HK tweeters & Angel eye projectors.
Gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2017, 10:56   #4
Astraeus
Regional Secretary North Scotland

MG ZS Exclusive 1.0T Auto 2022

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,058 Posts
Default Seen

I went to see it on opening week. Fanatstic film and according to some reports veterns viewed it as a very accurate portrail of the events. Having read up a LOT (obsession) about WW2 and my grandfather being amongs the last off (Seaforth Highlanders) it seemed a very good effort. Good to see some of the real Dunkirk little ships being used in film too. There are still quite a few being used today. They have a meet to get them back together regularly.

Having a small vessel ourselves my dad and I were talking about what we would have done in similar circumstances. I reckon a lot of us boaties would have gone. A sort of code that you help others. Mind you I would have been very, very scared but I reckon I would have. My old man...without doubt.

If you have not been ...go. It is excellent particularly on big screen.

Chris
Astraeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2017, 17:15   #5
stevenicks
This is my second home

MG ZT 180 Auto / Rover 75 2.0 Diesel

Thanked 1,666 Times in 1,264 Posts

I would have gone to help but not without my water wings .

Steve
stevenicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2017, 22:24   #6
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

Agreed very good film but spoilt in a few details for me.

A spitfire only had 20 seconds of ammunition in its machine guns and do you really think a Spitfire could glide that long with no engine power?

My father was one of the rescued at Dunkirk, he would never speak about it other than he was lucky to be alive. If half of what happened at Dunkirk is portrayed in the film I can see why.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2017, 14:20   #7
BigRuss
Premium Trader

75 CDT Tourer,2.5 Launch Saloon, Omipro MG/Rover (T4)

Thanked 1,340 Times in 661 Posts

The time line jumping around made it difficult to keep track of what's going on

I agree the depiction of the Spitfire was poor, far too much ammo and that particular plane didn't land on Dunkirk beach using it's landing gear, it belly landed wheels up.

It's the one shown on Guy Martin's Spitfire programme, you can find it on C4 catch up

Russ

Replacement Key Service
http://https://the75andztclub.co.uk/...d.php?t=244732
Full T4 Testbook diagnostics available.
Diesel ECU repair and replacement.
Options enabled or disabled as required.
Diesel X-Power 135 and 160bhp, Rover 1.8T 150 to 160
MG 160 V6 to 177 upgrades available
P.M. for details.
BigRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2017, 10:43   #8
neilb740
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT 1.8

The film is being slated in the liberal media for being sexist and racist and having too many white men in it.

No,,,im not joking http://nationalpost.com/entertainmen...a-f7b71a04cddd
neilb740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2017, 14:03   #9
bikerdude666
Posted a thing or two

Jaguar Xe diseasal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
Agreed very good film but spoilt in a few details for me.

A spitfire only had 20 seconds of ammunition in its machine guns and do you really think a Spitfire could glide that long with no engine power?

My father was one of the rescued at Dunkirk, he would never speak about it other than he was lucky to be alive. If half of what happened at Dunkirk is portrayed in the film I can see why.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRuss View Post
The time line jumping around made it difficult to keep track of what's going on

I agree the depiction of the Spitfire was poor, far too much ammo and that particular plane didn't land on Dunkirk beach using it's landing gear, it belly landed wheels up.

It's the one shown on Guy Martin's Spitfire programme, you can find it on C4 catch up

Russ
Agree about the length of the gliding, but it's such a gorgeous design that I'll allow them that artistic license, and however unlikely/impossible, it was great to see a stuka shot down by a spitfire with no engine!

The ammo though, I was sat there thinking the same. But looking back, I think he only actually shot down 3 or 4 planes, so 5 secs of shooting each. I think it just seemed far more ridiculous because you kept seeing the same planes being shot down again and again just from different perspectives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilb740 View Post
The film is being slated in the liberal media for being sexist and racist and having too many white men in it.

No,,,im not joking http://nationalpost.com/entertainmen...a-f7b71a04cddd
I've read other things like that, not enough black people, no indians, not enough women. I just shrug it off as being from complete idiots. I also read that at certain points you can see tower blocks in the background, but I'll be honest, I didn't notice any. Also read reviews from people who I think have too much time on their hands, complaining that the boots weren't correct for those issued at the time, laces not done correctly, just nit picking trying to take away from an overall good film.
bikerdude666 is offline   Reply With Quote