Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 20th January 2013, 18:09   #11
ocdskull
Regular poster

MG ZT saloon

Hi my way of thinking would be that if the fittings are already there then your right it should not be a modification, but if you have to drill holes ect then this is a modification.
To modify something is to change what is not original.
Adding seats to a standard Transit van is a Mod even though it is also built as a minibus version.
you need to look at the spec of the vehicles, yours and the extra seating version to see if they have up-rated the suspension and brakes to compensate for the extra weight.
I know a van should be able to handle the change as the weight changes when placing heavy items in it but the way the insurers look at it is safety.
A delivery driver can carry all sorts of items, except flammable and animals without the proper fixings.
just my thoughts
Old 20th January 2013, 18:18   #12
438brad
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T 260 SE (#491)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocdskull View Post
Hi my way of thinking would be that if the fittings are already there then your right it should not be a modification, but if you have to drill holes ect then this is a modification.
To modify something is to change what is not original.
Adding seats to a standard Transit van is a Mod even though it is also built as a minibus version.
you need to look at the spec of the vehicles, yours and the extra seating version to see if they have up-rated the suspension and brakes to compensate for the extra weight.
I know a van should be able to handle the change as the weight changes when placing heavy items in it but the way the insurers look at it is safety.
A delivery driver can carry all sorts of items, except flammable and animals without the proper fixings.
just my thoughts
Don't think the fixings are there tbh as my van has a factory fitted lined floor. Not sure if the fixings are underneath as I've not looked yet. My brakes, suspension and payload is identical to the crew cab version which is fitted with 6 seats as standard.
I just think that it is over zealous of insurers to refuse insurance for extra seating. Like I said previously, I could understand an increase in the premium to cover a higher claim in the event of an accident, but don't understand flat out refusal when I could do the work and provide an engineers report to confirm a safe installation.

Holden HSV GTS 5.7 V8. Turboed and Nos
'98 Honda Fireblade
Mercedes Vito

Never mind the power, feel the torque!
438brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2013, 18:27   #13
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 438brad View Post
As the title suggests, why does our insurance industry have to be so idiotic?!? Just contacted my insurers about adding 2 extra seats in the back of my Vito van (taking it to 5 seats) only to be told that my current insurer will not cover it as it is a "modification"! I would have to cancel my policy thereby losing my NBC built up from the last 8 months. As this is an additional policy I currently have no NBC built up yet so I need this first year. How can this be classed as a modification? Does it make my van faster, more attractive to thieves or more of a risk in any way?!? Absolutely ridiculous policies. Rant over!
If they won't insure you what are you going to do? One option would be for you to postpone your modification and inform your insurers. Hopefully your policy will be reinstated and it could give you some time to arrange cover elsewhere with a company who accepts your plans. It is not ideal and the same happened to me when I bought a second 75, the insurer refused to cover and I had to go elsewhere. It sometimes feels a pain being upfront and honest.
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2013, 18:33   #14
438brad
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T 260 SE (#491)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate Keeper View Post
If they won't insure you what are you going to do? One option would be for you to postpone your modification and inform your insurers. Hopefully your policy will be reinstated and it could give you some time to arrange cover elsewhere with a company who accepts your plans. It is not ideal and the same happened to me when I bought a second 75, the insurer refused to cover and I had to go elsewhere. It sometimes feels a pain being upfront and honest.
Tell me about it, makes you want to be dishonest!
I called them before doing the seating so I am still insured with them, just not allowed to carry out my plans. My insurance is due for renewal at the end of may, so I will inform my new company of my plans before settling for an insurer. I have heard horror stories of 30% loading on policies for adding seats so if that is the case I'll probably knock the idea on the head!

'98 Honda Fireblade
Mercedes Vito

Old 20th January 2013, 19:18   #15
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

Quote:
Wow, that is expensive insurance! Mines £500 odd pounds for my 05 Vito with alloys fully comprehensive. Been driving for 17 years but have no NBC to use on the policy as its used on my car. I do have a clean licence but I'm only in my mid 30's as well!
Havent paid that,got it for £371 in the end,but my van is 04,and used in connection with business ,10k miles p/a,and the postcode includes an area that was"dodgy" a few years back, not my village, but one that comes under the same first part of postcode.
Old 20th January 2013, 19:20   #16
ianinfrance
Gets stuck in

Triumph TR7 2.0 dhc + ford ranger XLT+ VW Passat 2.5 V6 Tdi

I think this is down to possible claim amounts or liability.

3 seats = 3 x 1 million quid.
5 = 5 million quid!

simples!
ianinfrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2013, 20:11   #17
438brad
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T 260 SE (#491)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianinfrance View Post

5 = 5 million quid!

simples!
What's 2 million quid between friends?!?

'98 Honda Fireblade
Mercedes Vito

Old 20th January 2013, 20:13   #18
MrDoodles
Banned

MG ZT+ V6 190

Thanked 1,196 Times in 818 Posts

Quote:
What's 2 million quid between friends?!?
A Million pounds each!
MrDoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2013, 20:43   #19
438brad
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T 260 SE (#491)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianinfrance View Post

5 = 5 million quid!

simples!
My point was and still is though, that my vehicle in exactly the same spec is available from the factory with 6 seats. I only want to make it a 5 seater using oe seats, therefore the highest claim possible would still be less than the potentially highest claim possible with the factory built vehicle which is insurable!

'98 Honda Fireblade
Mercedes Vito

Old 21st January 2013, 16:15   #20
ocdskull
Regular poster

MG ZT saloon

Talking

Another thought is what does your log book say as if it is only registered as a 2 seater then you would need to get the log book updated. Then your get the DVLA saying you will have to have a VOSA? check (more Money)
: shrug: