Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 20th January 2018, 17:09   #1
Penfeld
Regular poster

Rover 75 Heritage (facelift)

Default 75 CDTI facelift. Fan never stop !

Hello from Brittany...
Problem of the day... The fan does not want to stop, even if I remove the ignition key.
My battery is flat, I had to take it off to charge it.

Any solution ? Where can be the problem ?

Thanks.
Penfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2018, 17:40   #2
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Two causes spring to mind. A faulty pcb (which is quite common) or a 'stuck' on relay. Both are located in the control box mounted behind the fan framework, RHS (bumper off job). If it's the pcb, talk to Frenchmike, who fixes them.

Both issues get covered regularly so worth trying the search system (but good luck with it).

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2018, 01:19   #3
Penfeld
Regular poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
Two causes spring to mind. A faulty pcb (which is quite common) or a 'stuck' on relay. Both are located in the control box mounted behind the fan framework, RHS (bumper off job). If it's the pcb, talk to Frenchmike, who fixes them.

Both issues get covered regularly so worth trying the search system (but good luck with it).

TC
Thanks for a quick answer. What is the pcb? I live in Brittany (France). Is the best solution to buy the 2? Pcb(?) and relay so I'll don't have to remove the bumper twice.
If yes where may I buy that stuff? We need the car daily...
Old 21st January 2018, 08:15   #4
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Thanked 4,247 Times in 3,025 Posts

You can unplug the fan until fixed... car will run fine under normal driving.... air can will be pants unless over 50 mph...
Old 21st January 2018, 08:35   #5
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penfeld View Post
What is the pcb?
It stands for Printed Circuit Board. It is an assembly of electronic components which controls the fan speed. Only the diesels have this system.
Quote:
Is the best solution to buy the 2? Pcb(?) and relay so I'll don't have to remove the bumper twice.
The best solution is to take off the bumper and find out exactly what the fault is. This is because there is a third possibility. On the diesels a wiring loom can become damaged in the NSF inner wheelarch area. Some members have found that to be the problem. Ideally Jean, you will need to use a multimeter to make basic voltage measurements to locate the fault.
Quote:
... where may I buy that stuff?
You can't buy a new PCB but club member FrenchMike can test and, if necessary, repair yours should it be faulty. The slow speed relay is unlikely to have failed.
Quote:
We need the car daily...
You're going to have to make alternative arrangements whilst the Rover is being repaired I'm afraid Jean.

Simon
Old 22nd January 2018, 10:36   #6
Penfeld
Regular poster

Thanks for all the answers.
My problem is that I need my car every day and I have no alternate solution. Sometimes I start at 3;30 Am in the airport 10 miles from my home...

It it possible for me to remove the pcb and use my car without the fan (just to go at work?)

Is the radiator switch could be faulty too ?

Sending and receiving the PCB will take a long time. My last order to Rimmer took 10 days to be delivered..

What if I buy this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272733752...MakeTrack=true
Old 22nd January 2018, 10:45   #7
Penfeld
Regular poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by klarzy View Post
You can unplug the fan until fixed... car will run fine under normal driving.... air can will be pants unless over 50 mph...
Sorry I did not understand the last sentence. Do you mean, it would be OK without fan if I drive under 50 mph ?
My work place is 10 miles from my home and the speed limit is 70km/h (so close to 50mph)
Old 22nd January 2018, 11:04   #8
jordimussol
Avid contributor

2005 MG ZT & 1996 MGF

It's not the type of advice I'd want to give, but now in winter driving without stopping for 10 minutes will unlikely trigger the fan to cool down. As long as there's a flow of air coming in.

It would be safe to do so, yes. I'd do it. Keep watching the temp needle and make sure it doesn't start to rise from half way up.
jordimussol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2018, 11:31   #9
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penfeld View Post
Thanks for all the answers.
My problem is that I need my car every day and I have no alternate solution. Sometimes I start at 3;30 Am in the airport 10 miles from my home...

It it possible for me to remove the pcb and use my car without the fan (just to go at work?)

Is the radiator switch could be faulty too ?

Sending and receiving the PCB will take a long time. My last order to Rimmer took 10 days to be delivered..

Do not purchase the fan above as it is for a 1.8t petrol engine not a diesel so will not have the PCB and the wires are different in side the control box.

Remove the fuse to the fan for now, I doubt your engine will get up to temperature in this cool weather if you need to use the car, but as above keep your eye on the needle.

Does your fan on the car have a silver resistor on it looking through the fan blades at about 14.00oclock

Also check the main fan plugs on the loom inside the NS wheel arch liner, as they sometime can have water ingress which can short them to earth and the fan will run even if engine is switched off, bumper off job is best to access takes about 20 minutes.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "

Last edited by Arctic; 22nd January 2018 at 11:47..
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2018, 11:58   #10
Penfeld
Regular poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
Do not purchase the fan above as it is for a 1.8t petrol engine not a diesel so will not have the PCB and the wires are different in side the control box.
But it says "2.0 Diesel Radiator Fan"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
Remove the fuse to the fan for now, I doubt your engine will get up to temperature in this cool weather if you need to use the car, but as above keep your eye on the needle.

Does your fan on the car have a silver resistor on it looking through the fan blades at about 14.00oclock

Also check the main fan plugs on the loom inside the NS wheel arch liner, as they sometime can have water ingress which can short them to earth and the fan will run even if engine is switched off, bumper off job is best to access takes about 20 minutes.
I have the silver resistor :-(
What side wheel arch liner ? passenger or driver side on a continental car...

Last edited by Penfeld; 22nd January 2018 at 14:57.. Reason: forgotten one question