Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 24th December 2017, 11:33   #21
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanbursta View Post
That model is called "dropshipping" and is illegal in the UK. Basically if you offer something for sale you must have stock of it.
Regardless of anything else- and with reference only to the quoted post - I can find no evidence that dropshipping is illegal in the UK - dropshipping and JIT suppy is an extremely common way of selling goods across the globe. If someone is going to make statements like this they ought to back it up with a link to the legislation, and at least one applicable prosecution.

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2017, 12:39   #22
bendrick
Gets stuck in

Ex CDT Auto

I think perhaps one of the most relevent points in this thread as in so many cases of customer service of any description is.

Communication.

It is ( or should be ) the cornerstone of any customer oriented service sales or supply.

As long as the customer is kept informed of potential delays or any minor or major problems and isn't chasing information regarding delays etc then that is half the battle sorted. The other half of course is actually getting the goods to the customer that they have paid for.
bendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2017, 14:35   #23
Les4048
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer/ MG ZT-T 400

Thanked 1,523 Times in 869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avulon View Post
Regardless of anything else- and with reference only to the quoted post - I can find no evidence that dropshipping is illegal in the UK - dropshipping and JIT suppy is an extremely common way of selling goods across the globe. If someone is going to make statements like this they ought to back it up with a link to the legislation, and at least one applicable prosecution.
You are correct sir, and this isn’t what RadioGuy is doing anyway as he doesn’t get items shipped direct

“Dropshipping is a method of trading whereby you, the retailer, do not keep products in stock. Instead you partner with a wholesaler who is holding stock, you transfer customer orders and delivery details to them and they ship the goods directly to the customer. Most retailers make their profit on the difference between the wholesale and retail price”
Les4048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2017, 15:11   #24
smallheathlad
Loves to post

No more aRover 75 Saloon

Default Radio guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendrick View Post
I think perhaps one of the most relevent points in this thread as in so many cases of customer service of any description is.

Communication.

It is ( or should be ) the cornerstone of any customer oriented service sales or supply.

As long as the customer is kept informed of potential delays or any minor or major problems and isn't chasing information regarding delays etc then that is half the battle sorted. The other half of course is actually getting the goods to the customer that they have paid for.

I paid for a new set of lights at the end of October, I had not realised there was a lead time for delivery I Just assumed the goods were available. I had not fully read the small print of the advert.

I did send emails which were responded to, some times within the hour others did take a few days.

The lights have arrived at the start of the week I fitted them and they work wonderfully they are just as described in the advert.

Reading the various posts there does appear to be a number of different companies involved in the supply chain which must present difficulties in organising.
Large multi nationals have problems and make mistakes it’s how they correct them which matters. The method of trade for a number of organisations is to offer goods which they do not physically hold in stock but can get delivered, I see nothing wrong in that provided the customer is made fully aware of the delivery date and kept informed about issues.
smallheathlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2017, 16:04   #25
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avulon View Post
Common sense should be employed before you make statements. My question to you is, can you sell something you do not own? A yes or no will do. Does the said action amount to fraud?

Last edited by bl52krz; 24th December 2017 at 16:06..
bl52krz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2017, 16:08   #26
Les4048
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer/ MG ZT-T 400

Thanked 1,523 Times in 869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
Common sense should be employed before you make statements. My question to you is, can you sell something you do not own? A yes or no will do.
Yes you can and I do it regularly when a customer requests spare parts. If I don’t have it in stock I order it from the supplier and it arrives next day and I invoice it, sometimes for immediate payment other times on an account. Now I have anything up to 120 days in some cases to pay for the parts so effectively I’ve sold them and got the money in before I pay for the goods. It’s called efficient business and good cash flow
Les4048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2017, 20:02   #27
7T5
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 saloon

Bit annoyed now. Some folk have theres,some don't. No notification of delay until I asked. Wish I hadn't bother ordering these now.
7T5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2017, 23:29   #28
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les4048 View Post
You are correct sir, and this isn’t what RadioGuy is doing anyway as he doesn’t get items shipped direct

“Dropshipping is a method of trading whereby you, the retailer, do not keep products in stock. Instead you partner with a wholesaler who is holding stock, you transfer customer orders and delivery details to them and they ship the goods directly to the customer. Most retailers make their profit on the difference between the wholesale and retail price”
Absolutely agree - It's not dropshipping - it's JIT (just in time) supply (or that's what its supposed to be).

Quote:
Common sense should be employed before you make statements. My question to you is, can you sell something you do not own? A yes or no will do. Does the said action amount to fraud?
Yes, No -- See below. As an aside sales assistants do it every day up and down the country. Another example is auction houses sell stuff they don't own all the time (although they usually have posession at the time of sale). When you order some carrots from the supermarket for delivery the next day - who do you think 'owns' those carrots while you pay the supermarket up front?........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les4048 View Post
Yes you can and I do it regularly when a customer requests spare parts. If I don’t have it in stock I order it from the supplier and it arrives next day and I invoice it, sometimes for immediate payment other times on an account. Now I have anything up to 120 days in some cases to pay for the parts so effectively I’ve sold them and got the money in before I pay for the goods. It’s called efficient business and good cash flow
Absolutely, and for traders able to pull it off smoothly it makes a great difference. Carrying stock paid for in advance with only a sales forecast to go on, or worse waiting for payment after supplying goods or services, can often make business's that are turning over well with good order books go under.

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2017, 13:01   #29
7T5
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 saloon

Still no reply from my PM. Poor show i feel. Yes things go wrong but the folk that ordered should have been kept in the loop.
7T5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2017, 13:06   #30
Kiltman
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT CDTi 135 / Rover 75 Club SE 160

Quote:
Yes, of course you can, a tried and trusted business model, my employer uses it as do many other businesses, do you really think someone such as Amazon have every product in stock and paid for when you order?
Kiltman is offline   Reply With Quote