Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 15th December 2017, 07:07   #11
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

One of the most common causes of current drain on R40 models is a defective LSM

The led backlighting for the light switch controls remains illuminated, which in turn does not allow the BCU to enter it's "sleep mode" where a quiescent current of 45 mA is to be expected, instead you will experience a current draw of between 2.5 and 3 amps.

The test for this is simple, look throught the window of a locked car after dark, if the light switch is lit, then the LSM must be replaced

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2017, 11:00   #12
mikeh
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Does the R40 only go into 'sleep mode' when locked? I always leave my car unlocked in the garage as I assumed without the alarm on there would be less battery drain.
mikeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2017, 08:14   #13
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

No, you don't have to lock it for the ECU's to go into sleep mode - just turn the ignition off.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2017, 19:22   #14
pugcrew
Avid contributor

none

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
One of the most common causes of current drain on R40 models is a defective LSM

The led backlighting for the light switch controls remains illuminated, which in turn does not allow the BCU to enter it's "sleep mode" where a quiescent current of 45 mA is to be expected, instead you will experience a current draw of between 2.5 and 3 amps.

The test for this is simple, look throught the window of a locked car after dark, if the light switch is lit, then the LSM must be replaced

Brian
Thanks for this suggestion. Tonight was the first opportunity I have had to look at the light switch in the dark. It was not illuminated so it doesn't appear to be the LSM.

I'm still open to suggestions!!
pugcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2018, 12:04   #15
Synchromesh
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Hi Pugcrew,

Did you manage to resolve your current drain problem?

Regards,

Synchromesh.
Synchromesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2018, 19:13   #16
pugcrew
Avid contributor

none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchromesh View Post
Hi Pugcrew,

Did you manage to resolve your current drain problem?

Regards,

Synchromesh.
I think that it is down to the SatNav not shutting off. I've monitor the current flow with and without this connected and there is a difference. This was not easy as I found that it could take anything up to 20 minutes before everything shut down and any disturbance meant that that is took another 20 minutes to get into a fully sleep mode.

I'm still not convinced that it is only the SatNav but I have left it disconnected for about 10 days now and haven't had any flat battery problems.
pugcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2018, 11:35   #17
Synchromesh
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Thank you for the feedback.
Synchromesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2018, 09:55   #18
YHT
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Default battery drain

Not sure that this is where my reply should be but here goes. Have a 51 reg diesel 75 with a battery drain. Have disconnected the alternator and fbh and the glow plug fuse link to no avail. It drains at 0.09A with fuse 5 in and 0.05A with fuse F5 in. When replacing F5 (with the door open) the ammeter rises to 2.05A (internal light on) for 20 seconds, and then drops to 1.75A with the internal light still on. Turn off the internal light and it drops to 0.39A for a while and then drops back to 0.09A after 3 mins or so. I have tried to reconnect the fbh and the current rises to 0.13A and then drops back to 0.09A. I understand form the threads that the drain should be 0.05A so believe something somewhere is "leaking"! Thoughts please? (There is no sat nav and the aftermarket CD player don't seem to be the problem). Normal daily use shouldn't be a problem but leaving it at an airport for a week means coming back to a flat battery which has been renewed in the recent past.
YHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2018, 10:04   #19
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YHT View Post
Not sure that this is where my reply should be but here goes. Have a 51 reg diesel 75 with a battery drain. Have disconnected the alternator and fbh and the glow plug fuse link to no avail. It drains at 0.09A with fuse 5 in and 0.05A with fuse F5 in. When replacing F5 (with the door open) the ammeter rises to 2.05A (internal light on) for 20 seconds, and then drops to 1.75A with the internal light still on. Turn off the internal light and it drops to 0.39A for a while and then drops back to 0.09A after 3 mins or so. I have tried to reconnect the fbh and the current rises to 0.13A and then drops back to 0.09A. I understand form the threads that the drain should be 0.05A so believe something somewhere is "leaking"! Thoughts please? (There is no sat nav and the aftermarket CD player don't seem to be the problem). Normal daily use shouldn't be a problem but leaving it at an airport for a week means coming back to a flat battery which has been renewed in the recent past.
Check your background illumination on the light switch fascia isn't remaining on with the car locked

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2018, 10:57   #20
YHT
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Battery drain

Thanks for the suggestion Brian. Have tried what you suggested (after having adjusted the brightness to full) but still 0.09A after it settled down. Looking at earlier threads I have checked the plenum, chamber and its dry (the car has been in a barn this past couple of weeks and a garage before that so no moisture).
YHT is offline   Reply With Quote