Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 20th January 2018, 11:25   #1
jmdh

Rover 75 Tourer

Default CDTi tourer rusting wing / damaged wheel arch

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum, new (two months) owner of a 2003 CDTi tourer, and a novice when it comes to maintaining cars. I've been really enjoying reading some of the threads on here and starting to understand the essentials. But please be gentle with me

And I'm looking for some advice on how to get started on some needed maintenance. The previous owner is friendly and local and will probably give me a hand with repairs in exchange for beer

The offside wing panel has a rust hole to repair:

. I am thinking that it is simpler to replace the panel and panels seem to be fairly readily available on ebay eg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROVER-75-...53.m1438.l2649

My questions are:

Is it safe to use a ZT panel here (as the above listing seems to be?). I know the trim is wrong but some other panels didn't seem to come with trim anyway so that would need to be transferred.

And more importantly - how difficult a job is this likely to be? As far as I can tell most of the bolts are accessible-ish but any tips/gotchas would be most welcome. Another suggestion I was given was to patch it in place which might be easier in terms of access to the panels but I'm not keen on trying this without experience.

There is also some surface rust on the end of the sill which I believe I will need to treat with rust converter/paint. Rimmer bros seems to be the place to go for the paint: https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-GRID001531

There is also some damage to the wheel arch cover, as well as a missing headlight access panel. I assume that at some point it's got bent round and the ripped apart by wheel rotation:

I will at least replace the access panel, but is the damage to the rest important to address? Is this the part I'd need for this - and again how big a job is this?

https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-CLF000760

Any other thoughts or suggestions welcome of course.
jmdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2018, 11:42   #2
dave lincs
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Usually the front wings go rusty if they have mudflaps fitted, changing the front wing is an easy diy job as it the liner a secondhand wing should be easy to find as should a liner if your paintcode is MUM then I'm sure I have got a wing if you want
dave lincs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2018, 13:48   #3
jmdh

Rover 75 Tourer

Thanks, my paint code is MBB. Just noticed the liner part I linked to is for a V8 - so probably not quite right. Will drop Rimmer Bros a query about that since the new part is so cheap.
Old 21st January 2018, 16:13   #4
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Here you go

LINK

Your car is a classic example of why mudflaps are a such a bad idea to have fitted to these cars, something I'd never have fitted to any 75 or ZT I own

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2018, 20:16   #5
Sonic ZS
Posted a thing or two

75 Conn CDT Tourer, 75 Conn SE V6, 75 Conn V6, 75 Conn CDTi Tourer, ZS 180

Mudflaps are fine, as long as they are removed occasionally and the muck cleaned out from behind They save the inevitable stone chipping that would occur on the leading edge of the sill.

Looks like there's a small hole just appearing in your sill, but so small that at this stage it's hardly worth firing up the welder to repair ! Might be worth cleaning up the rust and sealing the hole though, to help stop water from entering the sill. A small run of weld from a MIG will fill that easily.

Personally, I'd swap a wing, fix the sill corrosion, refit the mudflap and then check things regularly

Last edited by Sonic ZS; 21st January 2018 at 20:20..
Sonic ZS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2018, 22:20   #6
jmdh

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic ZS View Post
Mudflaps are fine, as long as they are removed occasionally and the muck cleaned out from behind They save the inevitable stone chipping that would occur on the leading edge of the sill.

Looks like there's a small hole just appearing in your sill, but so small that at this stage it's hardly worth firing up the welder to repair ! Might be worth cleaning up the rust and sealing the hole though, to help stop water from entering the sill. A small run of weld from a MIG will fill that easily.

Personally, I'd swap a wing, fix the sill corrosion, refit the mudflap and then check things regularly
So the thing is, there is no mudflap... see wider shot here:

Last edited by jmdh; 27th January 2018 at 13:04..
Old 13th February 2018, 18:37   #7
jmdh

Rover 75 Tourer

[QUOTE=Sonic ZS;2586900

[/QUOTE]

Hi all,

Thanks for the tips, I have now acquired a replacement wing and wheel arch liner as well as some touch up paint.

As I don't have access to a welder - would it be good enough to use some metal filler instead for that small hole? Something like this perhaps?

https://www.screwfix.com/p/unibond-3...ey-280ml/59655

Or maybe rust converter like this?

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p43408?table=no

Ta.
Old 13th February 2018, 20:31   #8
Stickman
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 saloon

I’ve got a pair of headlight access panels if you need them buddy?
Regards
Chris
Stickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2018, 20:33   #9
steve-45
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Thanked 1,089 Times in 774 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
I’ve got a pair of headlight access panels if you need them buddy?
Regards
Chris
I've secured mine on with an extra self-tapping screw - just in case.
steve-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2018, 21:22   #10
Sonic ZS
Posted a thing or two

75 Conn CDT Tourer, 75 Conn SE V6, 75 Conn V6, 75 Conn CDTi Tourer, ZS 180

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdh View Post
Hi all,

Thanks for the tips, I have now acquired a replacement wing and wheel arch liner as well as some touch up paint.

As I don't have access to a welder - would it be good enough to use some metal filler instead for that small hole? Something like this perhaps?

https://www.screwfix.com/p/unibond-3...ey-280ml/59655

Or maybe rust converter like this?

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p43408?table=no

Ta.
Yes, anything is better than nothing if it helps to stop rust. Rub it down with some sandpaper first, treat with rust converter, neatly fill the hole, prime it then top coat it.
Strictly speaking, a sill hole should be welded, but as the hole looks smaller than a drain hole, I can't see it affecting the integrity of the bodyshell...!!