Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 19th January 2018, 21:05   #1
Mogodon
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 135+ Diesel Auto Mk2. Nisan Micra 1.4 SVE Auto.

Default Damn quick repairs !!!!!!

I sold my much loved, old moon mileage 45 two years ago for my ZT to come home.

Knowing the MOT was now due and it had some upcoming issues (buyer aware) just had a look to see if it had been MOT'd, Sorn'd or Overdue.

It has been MOT'd, but failed on a long list of excessive corrosion issues around the rear suspension mounts and wheel arches.

What surprised me was it was MOT'd and failed, repaired (welding I assume) and retested and passed all on the same day and not a single extra mile travelled !!!!!

It struck me that a lot of fairly intricate patch welding was required and to be all done the same day, and two mot's as well at a garage is just a tad suspicious ????? Although I suppose it could have been pre-mot'd and booked in for it all to be done but then why test it first and fail it.

KN51 HUZ.
Plenum spyhole mod. Powerflow backbox. 11 spoke alloys repainted Black Sparkle. Black Expansion tank. Drivers side cup holder. PPD carpeted heater box sides. Illuminated sun visors, PPD Door reflectors. PPD Seatbelt lower mount bolt covers. PPD Drivers grab handle. Cubby rechargeable torch and power socket. FBH retro-fitted. FBH engine pre-heater mod done. Electric rear Sunblind. Tow bar. Flip key. MGR towing mirrors and Saloon roof bars.

Hand Built in Birmingham

Last edited by Mogodon; 19th January 2018 at 21:08..
Mogodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2018, 21:47   #2
sewerman
Gets stuck in

MG ZT+ CDTi

Not really if they mot'd it in the morning did the welding they would retest in the afternoon the retest would only look at the failure point's - the welding not a full retest. In reality they'd just book it in for a slot and give it the mot.

What you don't know is is it mot welding ie slapped on patches and undersealed not proper panel shaping and cutting with the inside sections treated, I suspect when you get it it will be the first one.

But 12months mot gives you chance to sort it to your satisfaction
sewerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2018, 23:41   #3
Mogodon
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 135+ Diesel Auto Mk2. Nisan Micra 1.4 SVE Auto.

Good point, never thought of as you call it "MOT welding".

Wish I could find a good garage not busy enough to do all that in a day and without having to book it in days in advance.
Plenum spyhole mod. Powerflow backbox. 11 spoke alloys repainted Black Sparkle. Black Expansion tank. Drivers side cup holder. PPD carpeted heater box sides. Illuminated sun visors, PPD Door reflectors. PPD Seatbelt lower mount bolt covers. PPD Drivers grab handle. Cubby rechargeable torch and power socket. FBH retro-fitted. FBH engine pre-heater mod done. Electric rear Sunblind. Tow bar. Flip key. MGR towing mirrors and Saloon roof bars.

Hand Built in Birmingham
Mogodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2018, 07:31   #4
RogerHeinz57
I really should get out more.......

A Reasonably Priced Car

Thanked 1,064 Times in 712 Posts

Further to this, some of the failure descriptions may be misleading / exaggerated by peoples perception. Excessive may mean "It's holed" but only a small one - but the customer is unlikely to see the area in question, thus it may sound worse than it really is.
RogerHeinz57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2018, 08:45   #5
rustymotor
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

Hi, looking at the fail list it doesn't sound so bad :-
Reason(s) for failure
  • Nearside Rear Suspension component mounting prescribed area is excessively corroded wheel arch (2.4.A.3)
  • Nearside Rear Suspension component mounting prescribed area is excessively corroded inner sill (2.4.A.3)
  • Offside Rear Suspension component mounting prescribed area is excessively corroded wheel arch (2.4.A.3)
Maybe a small hole in the wheel arches at the bottom and a bit on inner sill. Some of the terms used on the MOT frighten people to death like, seat belt anchors prescribed area is excessively corroded etc usually inner and outer sills. Check this out

Last edited by rustymotor; 20th January 2018 at 08:52..
rustymotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2018, 09:11   #6
Dawn
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT 180+ auto

Thanked 1,128 Times in 504 Posts

I once had a Cavalier fail on rear arches. They told me as it wasn't load bearing but simply sharp and rusty edge if I slapped duct tape on it would pass, which I did to get it through as I had just bought it, then off it went to have arches fitted. Rules may have changed since then, of course.
Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote