Notices

Old 4th February 2018, 10:20   #11
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenicks View Post
Byker is a nice, well to do area to settle down. The Quayside is only a leisurely fifteen minute walk away ;-)
You’re havin a giraffe about Byker, the quayside is much improved though, but Byker is not the nicest of places, maybe 50 years sgo it was a decent place, but not now.

Last edited by RPWC; 4th February 2018 at 10:55..
RPWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2018, 10:36   #12
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPWC View Post
You’re havin @ giraffe about Byker, the quayside is much improved though, but Byker is not the nicest of places, maybe 50 years sgo it was a dec3nt place, but not now.
That's like when my folks were moving to this area in the late '70s. My father remembered Penicuik as a nice wee village, since the last time he was there it had turned into Wimpeyville!

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2018, 14:08   #13
KWIL
Precise

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5KV6 Connoisseur SE

Get your jobs sorted first, no use having a nice house and no job

Weather up there is not a good as Lincolnshire, Spring is later and winter start earlier too.
KWIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2018, 15:29   #14
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

[QUOTE=KWIL;2592104]Get your jobs sorted first, no use having a nice house and no job

Weather up there is not a good as Lincolnshire, Spring is later and winter starts earlier tooQUOTE] and it last longer up here
Old 4th February 2018, 16:54   #15
Phil-Hex
Gets stuck in

Typhoon ZT-T CDTi Bittersweet 135 TF

Richard has the Tyne Valley pretty accounted for!!

you could also look further West along the tyne valley, Haydon Bridge and Haltwhistle are also decent villages with plenty of country side right out the back door

once you get away from the A69 corridor you start struggling for decent public transport, house prices tend to rise but you do get peace and quiet with a nice relaxed quality of life.

just one thing........ if you do move up here please dont go telling everyone how nice it is
Phil-Hex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2018, 17:36   #16
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

I fôrgot to mention, the villages north of the Tyne, such as Ovington, a smallmquiet village just off the A69, no facilities, but just a mile or so south, but still north of the river, is the village of Ovingham, with a parish church local shop and pub, with a regular bus service,and a pub, just across the river is the town of Prudhoe, that I mentioned in my first post, a pittle further along the Tyne is the village of Wylam, which has a church, post office, mini market, co op and 4 pubs. North east of Wylam is Heddon on the Wall, which has 2 pubs and a local shop, with access to countryside in your doorstep. Then you come to the villages of Throckley and Newburn, which are about 7 miles and 20 minutes drive to the city centre, and served by good bus service, here you will find a supermarket, post office, chippy/pizza shop,newsagent, and Chinese takeaway. A bit more urban,rather than rural,but Newburn has a good country park at the riverside, with the old waggon way being a public footpath, and you can walk the 4 miles back to Wylam. As Kwil suggests, you would be better off securing work placements in the area first, before choosing property, that way you can narrow your search a bit.
Old 4th February 2018, 18:29   #17
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWIL View Post

Weather up there is not a good as Lincolnshire, Spring is later and winter start earlier too.

Understatement of the year
Old 4th February 2018, 18:36   #18
WillyHeckaslike
This is my second home

Rovers 75 & 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPWC
Lived in the area for 50 years, so think I’m just about qualified to advise.
I found that to be a good read Richard, I think that a career as a travel correspondent might beckon.

I lived and worked in Lincolnshire for a few years, home was a three-bedroom semi in the village of Welton just to the north of Lincoln itself. A nice place to live and when compared to some of Lincolnshire's more sparsely populated areas it was relatively well-served. But even so without a car I could imagine that life might be difficult at times, for me it was essential and I was young fit and healthy. I think that much of Northumberland will fall into the same bracket.

Depending on where in the North East you move to house prices may not necessarily be as cheap as some might presume. In fact during my time in Lincolnshire I found it to be much better value to Sunderland in that respect.
WillyHeckaslike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2018, 21:31   #19
v-man
I really should get out more.......

Ford Fezza Poverty Spec & ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyHeckaslike View Post
I lived and worked in Lincolnshire for a few years, home was a three-bedroom semi in the village of Welton just to the north of Lincoln itself. A nice place to live and when compared to some of Lincolnshire's more sparsely populated areas it was relatively well-served. But even so without a car I could imagine that life might be difficult at times, for me it was essential and I was young fit and healthy. I think that much of Northumberland will fall into the same bracket.

Depending on where in the North East you move to house prices may not necessarily be as cheap as some might presume. In fact during my time in Lincolnshire I found it to be much better value to Sunderland in that respect.
Ahh, Welton. My brother lived there too for a while.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
If they move to Ashington, they will need a grade 1 translator
Is it that bad Andy? I know they have looked at Ashington and slightly further south in Bedlington.

Report potholes, flytipping, broken streetlights - www.fixmystreet.com

Find cheaper diesel/petrol - www.petrolprices.com
2001 Rover 45 1.8 Impression S owned for 15 years, now scrapped.
v-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2018, 21:39   #20
daveycooper
Avid contributor

75 Saloon

Morpeth is nice and upmarket, if a little further north. But, i believe it has a train station so short trip to newcastle
daveycooper is offline   Reply With Quote