Notices

Old 20th August 2022, 02:33   #166301
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraymond View Post
My sympathies offered. Yesterday I suffered a similar fate. I had an appointment for a certain oncology procedure considered serious. This appointment was already a deferment from the first one a month ago. The mental stresses in these cases is awful. I arrived on department at 7.00am, number one in the list.

The final hurdle after much faffing about was the surgeon himself come to tick all the boxes immediately prior to the procedure. It became apparent the earlier doctor on the first appointment had given me the wrong instructions regarding when I should stop taking my prescription drugs. So the second one had to be deferred. No apologies, no comment, just 'get dressed and we will contact you soon regarding a new appointment'.

My last view as I left the department was the, ha ha, activity board 6 foot wide and high with my name at the very top with a large capital 'C' for cancelled. In red. I thought 'go on, cheer me up why don't you'. Not impressed.
Good morning Ray, how frustrating for you and the surgeon that you did not receive the correct pre-op instructions and no apologies. Now another delay and added stress whilst waiting for this life saving procedure. How very horrible for you.

On Thursday I met with a vascular surgeon in London who asked if I had seen the results of the pre-op treadmill ECG echo cardiogram I had done on 5 August, as he had not. The results were not ready.

So I gave him the verbal results from what the cardiologist had told me which basically said my heart was strong enough to survive the operation.

He then booked the theatre and ICU for 26 September at the Royal Free Hospital. But in reserve another date is booked 2 weeks later in case the 26 September falls through for what ever reason.

In preparation for the op: an aortic aneurysm repair with a synthetic graft from below heart to both thighs. 7 days pre-op I am to stop all blood thinners and keep active. Nil by mouth the night before. He told me what to expect post op so I know what I am facing. Half the battle is knowing and trying to stay positive.

When I asked about a blood transfusion, he said there will be a cell collection machine in the operating theatre during the op which sucks up the blood, pushing it through a centrifuge, then filtering it before the blood is recirculated back into my body, impressive technology.

Last edited by Gate Keeper; 20th August 2022 at 02:39..
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2022, 06:45   #166302
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Morning all, what’s everyone up to?
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2022, 07:33   #166303
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

Quote:
My sympathies offered. Yesterday I suffered a similar fate. I had an appointment for a certain oncology procedure considered serious. This appointment was already a deferment from the first one a month ago. The mental stresses in these cases is awful. I arrived on department at 7.00am, number one in the list.

The final hurdle after much faffing about was the surgeon himself come to tick all the boxes immediately prior to the procedure. It became apparent the earlier doctor on the first appointment had given me the wrong instructions regarding when I should stop taking my prescription drugs. So the second one had to be deferred. No apologies, no comment, just 'get dressed and we will contact you soon regarding a new appointment'.

My last view as I left the department was the, ha ha, activity board 6 foot wide and high with my name at the very top with a large capital 'C' for cancelled. In red. I thought 'go on, cheer me up why don't you'. Not impressed.

Oh good grief! As Phil said it just adds to the stress levels. I'm still waiting for a reply from my doctor who stopped doing face to face appointments when covid first started, He doesn't take phone calls either You have to email him & await his reply, I've got an oncology appointment on the 1st Sept which I need some info off my doctor about a medication I'm taking & still no reply.

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2022, 07:37   #166304
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate Keeper View Post
Good morning Ray, how frustrating for you and the surgeon that you did not receive the correct pre-op instructions and no apologies. Now another delay and added stress whilst waiting for this life saving procedure. How very horrible for you.

On Thursday I met with a vascular surgeon in London who asked if I had seen the results of the pre-op treadmill ECG echo cardiogram I had done on 5 August, as he had not. The results were not ready.

So I gave him the verbal results from what the cardiologist had told me which basically said my heart was strong enough to survive the operation.

He then booked the theatre and ICU for 26 September at the Royal Free Hospital. But in reserve another date is booked 2 weeks later in case the 26 September falls through for what ever reason.

In preparation for the op: an aortic aneurysm repair with a synthetic graft from below heart to both thighs. 7 days pre-op I am to stop all blood thinners and keep active. Nil by mouth the night before. He told me what to expect post op so I know what I am facing. Half the battle is knowing and trying to stay positive.

When I asked about a blood transfusion, he said there will be a cell collection machine in the operating theatre during the op which sucks up the blood, pushing it through a centrifuge, then filtering it before the blood is recirculated back into my body, impressive technology.

Blimey! Phil I hope everything goes to plan & smoothly for you. I was informed yesterday that I have to go for a flow test, Haven't looked up what that entails yet & will be going for radio therapy treatment for 20 straight days (minus weekends) to Salford Royal hospital after I've been on these hormones for three months. The joys of getting old eh.

Old 20th August 2022, 07:38   #166305
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Morning all, What a grey day. I shall be doing a grand total of nowt today.

Old 20th August 2022, 07:38   #166306
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool

Morning everyone

A grey start to the day, but it’s still warm.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2022, 08:09   #166307
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancpudn View Post
Oh good grief! As Phil said it just adds to the stress levels. I'm still waiting for a reply from my doctor who stopped doing face to face appointments when covid first started, He doesn't take phone calls either You have to email him & await his reply, I've got an oncology appointment on the 1st Sept which I need some info off my doctor about a medication I'm taking & still no reply.
The lead doctor in 'my' surgery, who also owns the building in which is the practice, also has 'an interest' in the adjoining private health centre. He is no longer available for consultation.

I was assigned another doctor in the practice two years ago when two or more doctors, er, retired. My new doctor is most delightful and helpful and I wonder how long he might last. We can now only get prescription service by email as the phones have the usual message 'you are now number xxx in the queue'.

Three of my family gave years of service (nurses) within hospitals, they would be ashamed of what it has become. The individuals are wonderful and under great pressure now, I wonder for how long they can withstand their working conditions. Good luck!
Old 20th August 2022, 08:54   #166308
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Quote:
The lead doctor in 'my' surgery, who also owns the building in which is the practice, also has 'an interest' in the adjoining private health centre. He is no longer available for consultation.

I was assigned another doctor in the practice two years ago when two or more doctors, er, retired. My new doctor is most delightful and helpful and I wonder how long he might last. We can now only get prescription service by email as the phones have the usual message 'you are now number xxx in the queue'.

Three of my family gave years of service (nurses) within hospitals, they would be ashamed of what it has become. The individuals are wonderful and under great pressure now, I wonder for how long they can withstand their working conditions. Good luck!

I thought of changing doctors but our recently built clinic building has six doctors practices in there & they're all the same as mine regarding unable to get face to face appointments, It's like a ghost town in there since the first covid outbreak except for the pharmacy side which is busy with people queuing to get their meds.

Old 20th August 2022, 09:30   #166309
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

The "old" NHS simply bled money. Great staff, as always but the old system was costing way too much. The term "A hospital job" in the building trade, was one that took forever, had to be perfect and was a real money maker for the builders and suppliers. Just go into an old hospital and look at the doors, locks and hinges. The doors were all hardwood, the hinges were heavy brass and the locks were state of the art. They lasted a lifetime and more. If you had a paint job for the hospital, it was knot, prime and stop, one undercoat and three coats of gloss!

A lot of the money is now spent on high tech and we all know how much that costs.

I don't have the answers but if we have a "free" NHS, well, somebody has to pay for it!!!!!

Nice and sunny here in Norfolk today. Topping up on vitamin D is called for again!
Old 20th August 2022, 10:03   #166310
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Morning. Grey and damp here, breezy with it.
Quote:
We can now only get prescription service by email as the phones have the usual message 'you are now number xxx in the queue'.
Here you can order repeat prescriptions online. Log in, list of your meds comes up, check the box next to what you need and collect from the pharmacy a few days later. Could have it delivered but there's others that need that service more than I do.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote