Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 24th June 2021, 18:04   #1
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts
Default How can we be short or workers?

The local news reports that we are short of manual workers due to Brexit. I don't want this to be a row about the rights or wrongs of Brexit but how can we be short of UK based workers? I cannot believe that there are no unemployed people in these areas.

Anyone that thinks those foreigners came over here taking our jobs, well, here is your chance to prove it to be true, go fill those jobs with British people!

No, this is not an anti foreigner post, far from it.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2021, 18:27   #2
ricardo65
This is my second home

mgzt cdti 160.mgzt 1.8t mg6 1.8t

Thanked 1,652 Times in 969 Posts

I don't want to put the cat amongst the pigeons either but I've had 3 British starters in the last 5 weeks and none of them wanted the work and You've guessed none of them stayed we are still looking for someone but rather work with the staff we have at the moment as I'm still frustrated about the time spent training them

Sent from my VFD 730 using Tapatalk

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=213906
ricardo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2021, 20:11   #3
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
The local news reports that we are short of manual workers due to Brexit. I don't want this to be a row about the rights or wrongs of Brexit but how can we be short of UK based workers? I cannot believe that there are no unemployed people in these areas.

Anyone that thinks those foreigners came over here taking our jobs, well, here is your chance to prove it to be true, go fill those jobs with British people!

macafee2
Well, with over 1.5 million unemployed + those who are not counted (for various reasons and to make sure the "official" figure is low as it can be) there does seem to be a reluctance nowadays to commit to a work ethic. We have a 68 and 65 year old working in my production department that do more than the 46 year olds and far excel the teenagers and twenty-somethings.

As an earlier post suggests, why work when all the benefits will come to one if the form is filled in!

Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2021, 20:16   #4
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

Part of the problem is the pay for some of these jobs. Why would you do some of these jobs for minimum wage?

If you can earn minimum wage plus 20% for a nice job or something that does not involve getting up at 5am and finishing at 11pm most people are going to opt for the better option.

Maybe it is time that these rubbish jobs get the pay they deserve, yes it will have a knock on effect of what we pay for a nice meal out or the fresh fruit that is picked at some times of the year but maybe this is what should happen?
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2021, 21:20   #5
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
Part of the problem is the pay for some of these jobs. Why would you do some of these jobs for minimum wage?

If you can earn minimum wage plus 20% for a nice job or something that does not involve getting up at 5am and finishing at 11pm most people are going to opt for the better option.

Maybe it is time that these rubbish jobs get the pay they deserve, yes it will have a knock on effect of what we pay for a nice meal out or the fresh fruit that is picked at some times of the year but maybe this is what should happen?
agree, pride, my upbringing and my moral code would get me to take a minimum wage job before being on the dole

but the unemployed dont have jobs, is the dole the better option?

How do you quantify the value of a job? Cleaner V Brain surgeon?

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2021, 10:56   #6
KWIL
Precise

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5KV6 Connoisseur SE

We need Workfare not Welfare. as long as there are vacancies there should be no payments to those who will not work.

Cannot work is another question.
KWIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2021, 11:30   #7
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts

Quote:

How do you quantify the value of a job? Cleaner V Brain surgeon?

macafee2
And therein lies the big problem.

No one thinks about the mundane jobs like, for example, cleaning, but COVID-19 has shown just how important that job is.

No one thinks about what happens to the rubbish in their bin until it's not collected, or the quality of the drinking water out of the tap or what happens when we flush the loo until it's not right. THEN it's VERY important that something is done and done quickly. And what about if your house is on fire or your catalytic converter is being nicked etc. etc......

Would you like a pro footballer or a F1 driver or one of the Dragons Den panel or a paramedic to arrive if you've had an accident or a possible stroke or heart attack. But three of those get paid vastly more than the other.

Maybe everyone should be paid the same and do the "job" that they actually enjoy and excel at.

Oh look, there's a squadron of pigs doing loop the loop outside my window

http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2021, 11:53   #8
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

In some countries being a waiter or refuse collector is considered a profession, I remember talking to a waiter in a restaurant in France, he had been doing that since he was in his 20's and for every extra year he did he got more pay and seniority. After a certain amount of years he was considered a professional and could walk into a job any where he wanted. He was in his early 50's and loved his job.

That has to better than getting a 15 year old doing it who is more worried about her Facebook than your order.

I can remember when bin men took pride in there work, they would come and find the bin and put it back when it was empty.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2021, 14:04   #9
Retap
Loves to post

MG ZT-T CDTi

Quote:

macafee2
Its an employees market again like it was pre 2002 even with furlough etc and i think thats a good thing but it will mean we all pay more for goods and services because natives, unless youthfully naive will not work for a pittance and why should they, we? A fair days work for a fair days wage!

In 1999 I took work with an employment agency working in Lincolnshire in food factories and there was 16 of us in our van, all Brits from the same town. We had a Scot and Irish lad to, it was good fun we all got on and worked hard for each other.

Then around 2002 when the Afghan war kicked off the agency's switched to these Afghani's flooding in as migrants who had none to very little English language but where happy to do all tasks and all hours demanded without any fuss we had to use hand gestures to how them what to do. We natives got dispatched to the Jobcentre in no time at all the agencys where not interested in us at all and then the eastern Europeans came. Polish are among the most hard working people i have known, nothing against them but no point importing labour just to keep wages down here is there it only serves to make supermarkets fatter!

Trouble is most folks are unaware that the food industry is very seasonal in nature and requires lots of labour in the warmer months and around holidays so agencies will always exist to satisfy the model our food industry and thus supermarkets rely on, but soon the cost of wages will have to rise to attract native workers and so prices will rise as the cost of making goods also rises. In economics its called the scarcity theory of value, (credited to a Scottish man called John Law around 1700 lol)

Renew auxiliary drive belt # Replace driver door lock actuator # Refurbish wheels

Last edited by Retap; 26th June 2021 at 14:07..
Retap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2021, 14:15   #10
Retap
Loves to post

MG ZT-T CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardo65 View Post
I don't want to put the cat amongst the pigeons either but I've had 3 British starters in the last 5 weeks and none of them wanted the work and You've guessed none of them stayed we are still looking for someone but rather work with the staff we have at the moment as I'm still frustrated about the time spent training them

Sent from my VFD 730 using Tapatalk

Eventually I ended up in management in the food industry, at my career peak was responsible for 80 employees at a time. You learn quickly when taking on staff to hire the motivated ones even if they do not have the skills because skills can be taught unlike motivation. Making use of 12 week probation period is also useful to weed out the foolers n such who in short time will always make themselves known.

I havent got any axe to grind with a person who doesn't want to work but if thats you stay away from employment and torturing bosses lol and do that as a lifestyle choice instead. Lets face it the Govt spend so much money on so much NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- for there mates to profit from the national tax income doesn't even pay the interest on the national deficit let alone the cost of the JSA bill.

Renew auxiliary drive belt # Replace driver door lock actuator # Refurbish wheels
Retap is offline   Reply With Quote