Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 5th June 2021, 16:51   #1
Ian G
This is my second home

Small

Thanked 2,991 Times in 1,431 Posts
Default Buying a repaired car

Hi Folks
Does anyone know if a vehicle that has been declared a total loss and then repaired has much effect on insurance for said vehicle? Vehicle in question has only had a couple of body panels replaced.
Ian G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2021, 18:38   #2
snowman
Avid contributor

rover 75 tourer

As I understand it they will charge you the same to insure it but if you make a claim they will only pay you out scrap value alright if you intend to keep the car and run into the ground I found this out once when I went to look at a car private sale when I hpi it it came back as a total loss and only worth scrap money at the time they said about 450.00p not the 3000.00p he wanted the car looked great and full mot as well I stand to be corrected but that's what I was told
Regards Paul
snowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2021, 19:43   #3
cossie dunc
I really should get out more.......

rover 75 contemporary se cdti + rover 75 connie cdti work horse

In my experience,it totally depends on the insurance company, some won’t even touch a category car, others have no problem at all insuring them. Exactly the same if you make a claim, some won’t pay full value, some will. I’ve never heard of any only offering only scrap value though

Scotland's rover 75/mg zt service,repair & enthusiast centre

Used parts.....servicing.......mechanical repairs.......modifications

Call Duncan 07415 251 705
cossie dunc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2021, 19:48   #4
Typhoon190
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190 Monogram Typhoon

Hastings wrote off my ZT-T then refused to continue insuring it. Very helpful ( not) when the claim takes months to settle and you have to find another insurance company who then 'have' to charge you a fortune due to the fact the claim is still unsettled.

It ended up being cheaper for me to buy another car and continue the policy with Hastings for the rest of the term.

Not with them now though.
Typhoon190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2021, 21:11   #5
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

As has been said some insurance companies dont like them, I had an Omega a few years ago that was a previous write off, two companies refused to insure it and the one that did valued it at 60% of its full value but I was paying a full premium.

I would suggest unless the vehicle is a bargain you avoid unless you are happy to get next to nothing for it if the worse does happen, I was lucky a friend needed an Estate and was happy to take it off my hands.

I was looking at a Mustang recently that had been previously written off, the work had been done to a good standard but I was struggling to get an insurance company to insure it even for a lesser amount.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2021, 22:06   #6
Ian G
This is my second home

Small

Thanked 2,991 Times in 1,431 Posts

Thanks for the very helpful replies everyone it has reinforced my thoughts that they are best left alone unless you want to build a race or track day car and I'm far too old for that kind if thing😁😁
Ian G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2021, 05:36   #7
Georgies Dad
This is my second home

Land Rover

Thanked 2,925 Times in 1,979 Posts

Lots of our cars have been Cat C or D,they are still going,they get wrtten off for very mnor scrapes etc.

My tourer was Cat D,had it for 6 years no insurance issue,sold it on and its still going strong.

Bear in mind when you sell a Cat D you have to declare it on the sales pitch?Advert.

Cat D are not even listed on the log book

Steve and Georgie

Together Forever

Lonely days are long
Twilight sings a song
All the happiness that used to be

Soon my eyes will close
Soon I'll find repose
And in dreams, you're always near to me

I'll see you in my dreams
And then I'll hold you in my dreams

Last edited by Georgies Dad; 7th June 2021 at 15:45..
Georgies Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2021, 07:02   #8
picky747
Gets stuck in

ROVER

Insurance companies are a bit cheeky, they release these vehicles back on the market to recoup some of their outlay and then refuse to insure them.
picky747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2021, 07:06   #9
wullie480
This is my second home

Thanked 1,022 Times in 786 Posts
Default Buying a repaired car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgies Dad View Post
Lots of our cars have been Cat C,they are still going,they get wrtten off for very mnor scrapes etc.

My tourer was Cat C,had it for 6 years no insurance issue,sold it on and its still going strong.

Bear in mind when you sell a Cat C you have to declare it on the sales pitch?Advert.

Cat C are not even listed on the log book

Cat C and Cat S are listed on the log book (V5) in the notes at the bottom of the front page. Cat D and Cat N aren’t on the logbook.
I’ve never had an issue insuring a damage repaired car I’ve had a few over the years I even wrote one off after running it for 2.5 years and still got back almost double what I paid for it including repairs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by wullie480; 6th June 2021 at 07:10..
wullie480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2021, 14:21   #10
Saga Lout
This is my second home

MG ZT and Rover 75,

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,037 Posts
Default Not now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wullie480 View Post
Cat C and Cat S are listed on the log book (V5) in the notes at the bottom of the front page. Cat D and Cat N aren’t on the logbook.
I’ve never had an issue insuring a damage repaired car I’ve had a few over the years I even wrote one off after running it for 2.5 years and still got back almost double what I paid for it including repairs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The cat C and D was replaced a few years ago with a cat S, it stands for structurally damaged. My old Punto was fire damaged when I got it and was a cat C back then, I don't know what it would classify as now. My Cortina 2000E was a COD and slipped through the destruction net back in 1996, the car is going to be worth a small fortune soon and, no matter what it would say on the document it would sell to a person that desires it. I think it all depends on the job done with the repairs, a bad job can leave a car worthless. The Punto I had for nine years, the Cortina is staying with me until the end, the elderly couple were the Willcocks from Epworth near Doncaster, he was driving the car when it was hit, the picture was taken two years after the bump, he believed it to have been crushed but it had slipped through the net. The point being made is that a car with classic status will always be rising in value.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A1.6.jpg (139.6 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg A1.32.jpg (138.8 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 6 (2).jpg (130.2 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 7 (2).jpg (138.7 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 10 (2).jpg (136.6 KB, 13 views)
Saga Lout is offline   Reply With Quote