Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 11th June 2020, 21:46   #1
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts
Default Rules for driving a 7.5 tonne lorry

With having grand farther rights, do I need a CPC to drive for personal use a 7.5 tonne lorry?

How many hours per day can I drive?

Does not driving count as rest?

As it is for personal use do I need a tacho print out?

collect lorry at 8am, load 9-3pm, drive 2 hours, 15 minute break, drive 2 hours, unload lorry. Don't know how long to unload. Can I then drive 2 hours, 15 minute break, drive 2 hours? How long before I can next drive?
May need extra breaks on way home.

my "working day" if it starts at 8am when I collect the lorry could be 15-18 hours. Legally, is this too long?

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2020, 22:05   #2
Ian G
This is my second home

Small

Thanked 2,991 Times in 1,431 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
With having grand farther rights, do I need a CPC to drive for personal use a 7.5 tonne lorry?

How many hours per day can I drive?

Does not driving count as rest?

As it is for personal use do I need a tacho print out?

collect lorry at 8am, load 9-3pm, drive 2 hours, 15 minute break, drive 2 hours, unload lorry. Don't know how long to unload. Can I then drive 2 hours, 15 minute break, drive 2 hours? How long before I can next drive?
May need extra breaks on way home.

my "working day" if it starts at 8am when I collect the lorry could be 15-18 hours. Legally, is this too long?

macafee2
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/drivers-...-drivers-hours
Old 11th June 2020, 23:14   #3
steve-45
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon CDTi

Thanked 1,089 Times in 774 Posts

I have a feeling that “personal use” is exempt from the driving hours regulations.
steve-45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2020, 02:17   #4
The Rovering Member
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 saloon

I have a class one & l've no idea, it's a minefield of regulation.
If you were doing it professionally on a tachograph you would need to show a full thirty minute break at no later than six hours working, including driving or forty five minutes at the end of four hours, thirty minutes total driving, whichever came first. The forty five could be split into two, at least fifteen at some point during your journey & thirty at the end but the second must always be a thirty minute break, it can't be done the other way round anymore. Sometimes l'll have two thirty minute breaks to satisfy both regulations if l'm not on a long haul. At nine hours work another fifteen minutes is supposed to be taken but that seems a bit ignored as far as l can see & not really backed up by anyone, not least the firms. After a second four hour, thirty stint behind the wheel you must stop driving for the day or take a further forty five which can also be split as before. This is because twice a week you can drive for a further hour, which must be compensated for in the following three weeks, l think. Your maximum working spread is strictly fifteen hours. You can work it out from that but as said, you're exempt as you're not working for hire or reward (a pint or three won't count ), as far as l know.
It's not a requirement to take a tacho printout but if you do then you must keep it for twenty eight days. I never do unless there has been an unavoidable transgression then l take one & write a brief explanation why on it, which covers you in case of a tug by the authorities.

Last edited by The Rovering Member; 12th June 2020 at 02:23..
The Rovering Member is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2020, 03:52   #5
Snetty
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rovering Member View Post
I have a class one & l've no idea, it's a minefield of regulation.
If you were doing it professionally on a tachograph you would need to show a full thirty minute break at no later than six hours working, including driving or forty five minutes at the end of four hours, thirty minutes total driving, whichever came first. The forty five could be split into two, at least fifteen at some point during your journey & thirty at the end but the second must always be a thirty minute break, it can't be done the other way round anymore. Sometimes l'll have two thirty minute breaks to satisfy both regulations if l'm not on a long haul. At nine hours work another fifteen minutes is supposed to be taken but that seems a bit ignored as far as l can see & not really backed up by anyone, not least the firms. After a second four hour, thirty stint behind the wheel you must stop driving for the day or take a further forty five which can also be split as before. This is because twice a week you can drive for a further hour, which must be compensated for in the following three weeks, l think. Your maximum working spread is strictly fifteen hours. You can work it out from that but as said, you're exempt as you're not working for hire or reward (a pint or three won't count ), as far as l know.
It's not a requirement to take a tacho printout but if you do then you must keep it for twenty eight days. I never do unless there has been an unavoidable transgression then l take one & write a brief explanation why on it, which covers you in case of a tug by the authorities.
That is perfectly put and as such as clear as mud. I too drive artics, but have little clue about the rules for 7.5 t vehicles. If you are hiring surely the hirer should ensure you are qualified and within the law before you leave their premises.
Snetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2020, 06:50   #6
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

I was reading a piece about new driving regs coming in & new tachograph laws for vans A guy was writing about his concerns about the van tacho laws as he has a number of vans on for Red bull F1 carrying parts to circuits across Europe & even double manned they can no longer drive between circuits in one hit any longer.

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2020, 06:58   #7
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G View Post
That blew my mind. I will have to have my wife read it and explain it to me

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2020, 08:24   #8
The Rovering Member
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 saloon

Life is really too short to gen up on any more than you really need to to remain legal.

If your mind runs that way though, you can research the reg's for amusement.

The Rovering Member is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2020, 09:01   #9
Atlan
Avid contributor

rover 75

Hope this helps.

The following groups are exempt from the domestic drivers’ hours rules:

drivers of vehicles used by the Armed Forces, the police and fire brigade
drivers who always drive off the public road system
private driving, ie not in connection with a job or in any way to earn a living
Old 12th June 2020, 09:35   #10
Phil th Barrow
Gets stuck in

" NOW SOLD" :-( Rover 75 Conni Auto SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
That blew my mind. I will have to have my wife read it and explain it to me

macafee2
Oh this is nothing compared to what Vosa legislates. We (Iv had my licence HGV C+E for over 29 years.)… We are th most leglislated business in th world.. This isn't a flippant remark its fact.

Bit of info below. Also to add insult to injury, as said by others Working time directive (WTD) is also in with drivers hours.

Is a Driver CPC required to drive a 7.5-tonne truck?
Even if a driver passed their test before 1997, they will still have to complete 35 hours of Driver CPC training every five years if they want to drive a 7.5-tonne vehicle professionally, unless they are covered by an exemption.
Exemptions to the Driver CPC requirement include:
The vehicle has a maximum authorised speed of no more than 28mph
The vehicle is operated by the armed forces or emergency services
The vehicle is being driven as part of a test or for repair and maintenance purposes
The vehicle is new and is not yet in service
The vehicle is being driven for non-commercial purposes
The driver is carrying equipment for their work, where their work does not mainly involve driving (e.g. glazer, scaffolder).
The driver is only required to complete the Driver CPC if they are driving professionally, and will not need one of they are driving for personal use. A full list of Driver CPC exemptions can be found on the gov.uk website.

But... How I see it in a accident lets say and your load as caused it having no CPC isn't going to help. No tacho is going to look really bad as well. Vosa are self funded now and on th spot fines are FEARCE....