Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 21st October 2016, 17:05   #1
scruffyrd

MG ZT-T

Default LPG question

Hi,
I have seen a ZTT for sale already fitted with a gas conversion. Now I'm used to seeing large engined cars fitted with gas but this is just an 1800.
Can the K series handle the conversion ok? Its got fairly high mileage so I,m presuming its worked ok so far.

Of course, it doesnt have to be run on gas but it would be very cheap on fuel
scruffyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2016, 18:42   #2
Astraeus
Regional Secretary North Scotland

MG ZS Exclusive 1.0T Auto 2022

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,058 Posts
Default 1.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by scruffyrd View Post
Hi,
I have seen a ZTT for sale already fitted with a gas conversion. Now I'm used to seeing large engined cars fitted with gas but this is just an 1800.
Can the K series handle the conversion ok? Its got fairly high mileage so I,m presuming its worked ok so far.

I did 60,000 miles on LPG on my old 1.8. It was the factory ( out sourced) fit Landi Renzo kit and didn't need anything doing to it at all. Change spark plugs every service and it should be fine.

Chris
Astraeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2016, 18:49   #3
scruffyrd

MG ZT-T

Thank you. I will go and view the car tomorrow
scruffyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2016, 19:02   #4
Astraeus
Regional Secretary North Scotland

MG ZS Exclusive 1.0T Auto 2022

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,058 Posts
Thumbs up Make of lpg

Find out make of LPG. Make sure it works. They all start on petrol but should switch to LPG when coolant warmed up.

Any ignition problems etc tend to show up early on LPG and it does consume spark plugs if not changed at every service. Other than that a no brainer!
47p a litre at asda!
Astraeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2016, 20:36   #5
MDMH757
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

My 1.8T ztt has been converted since March.... car runs well.... get 3 full 50 litre tanks of lpg for the same price of one tank of petrol.... cheapest I pay is 45p a litre

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
MDMH757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2016, 15:08   #6
StewartIngram
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connoisseur 2.5 V6 auto

My 2.5 KV6 was about 59k when I bought it. Pretty quick I converted it myself to lpg. Its now done over 220k. I do about 20k p.a., get the same mpg on either fuel. The plugs were changed to iridium about 3 years ago, and I haven't touched them since!

Stewart
StewartIngram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2016, 16:10   #7
guru
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT, Rover Sterling, MG ZS EV & BMW X5

Having run many LPG cars over the last 14 years I think the things to look into are a) do you have a good LPG installer nearby who can service and repair the LPG system. Be especially careful to check the make of the LPG kit installed as LPG people only tend to deal with a few specific makes. Second thing is to make sure that the LPG system works perfectly. I'm been stung a couple of times buying cars with LPG systems that ran poorly on gas but 'only needed a servce' only to find more significant issues that cost a lot to repair. In fact an Alfa I bought never did run right despite numerous attempts to sort it and I ended up cutting my losses after just 3 months. It should change to gas and run without being noticeable at all, in fact the only way you should be able to tell is by looking at the indicator light!
Old 23rd October 2016, 16:51   #8
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scruffyrd View Post
Hi,

I converted my 214 at 26000 miles using a kit taken from my previous 214 which had a rear end shunt writing it off.

The previous 214 had 250000 miles and had been converted at 15000 miles, and my second 214 had 396000 miles when I retired it from service, so cumulatively the cars had covered 605000 miles on LPG

So I would say the four cylinder K series is well suited to being run on LPG wouldn't you?

Oh, and I did the same conversion on my wife's Freelander which started on the button after a five year slumber

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2016, 17:05   #9
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by guru View Post
It should change to gas and run without being noticeable at all, in fact the only way you should be able to tell is by looking at the indicator light!
This is the key. If you go to see an LPG converted car and it runs lumpy in anyway shape or form on LPG walk away........

If anything - based upon my experience with a 3.5 V8 and a 3.9 V8 - when running on LPG the engine should be smoother and more even running.

So if it runs rough on LPG then something is amiss
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote