Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 19th February 2015, 21:26   #1
alanjay
Passed Away

Rover 75 Connie Tourer

Default Haynes Manuals

Just read another thread knocking Haynes Manuals.

If they are that bad why is it that this years May National is at the Haynes Museum?

Personally if I were in charge of the Haynes organisation I'd cancel the meet at the last moment, just to balance matters.

Before the days of clubs such as this, Haynes manuals saved me a fortune in garage bills, so don't knock them. I reckon before there's a Dacia club Haynes will be there to help Dacia owners, that's what they do.

Actually the only reason I've not signed up for the National is for the above reasons.

Think about it, in the early days of the 75 a Haynes manual was the only source for owners who could not afford garage fees and often the free advice on this site is from members who learnt the Haynes way.
alanjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2015, 21:35   #2
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

I agree wholeheartedly.

But then it's fashionable to knock everything and anything if it's beyond the end of one's nose or ability to comprehend the value of.

I still find Haynes extremely useful despite the excellent forums.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2015, 21:36   #3
ninaandphil
Avid contributor

MG ZT CDTi

Have routinely picked up a Haynes manual for every car I've owned.... for me as an amateur they are a great guide, and I use in conjunction with advice from forums these days... can't understand why some folks have to knock them, they may not be perfect, but they aren't bad!
ninaandphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2015, 21:39   #4
alanjay
Passed Away

Rover 75 Connie Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post
I agree wholeheartedly.

But then it's fashionable to knock everything and anything if it's beyond the end of one's nose or ability to comprehend the value of.

I still find Haynes extremely useful despite the excellent forums.
Beyond the end of the nose is quite right, that's why the 75 was under appreciated when it was launched.
alanjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2015, 21:44   #5
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Its really not Haynes fault. The manuals used to be able to cover the entire car, but cars became many times more complex, with many more engine options, gearbox options and an horrendously complex electrical systems.

How can a company hope to document a car in a small book, which is several thousands times more complex, when compared to say the likes of a Ford Cortina and do so at an affordable cost?

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2015, 21:51   #6
Gemsathome
Loves to post

MG ZT-T

Completely agree, I used to run Les Smith car accessories in Kingston in the early 1980's, we used to sell at least 30 a week! Car parts were a massive part of our turnover compared to luxury items like stereo's. Mind you, this was pre-computerised engine management etc!!
Gemsathome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2015, 21:51   #7
Dorset Bob
Senior Citizen

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur SE,Chrysler 300C,124 Spider, Daytona 955i,Honda XL250 & Royal Enfield 650GT

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,686 Posts

I am also a fan on the Haynes manuals.

Haynes is shutting down the "home user" workshop manual side of the business, anyway.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-24209425

They have invested quite heavily in their Motor Museum and will definitely be worth a look, for those attending the National.

Let the good times roll............

Dorset Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2015, 21:53   #8
Ched
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT V8, MGZT 135 derv ,MG TF 135

Where else can you learn to take a car apart without getting your hands dirty.....
Ched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2015, 22:26   #9
Gino
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer

I always buy a Haynes manual for whatever car I have at the time. Yes they do have bad points, but on the whole they have been invaluable.

MODS DONE;

plenum spyhole, bonnet cable divider block (previous owner), chrome wing mirror covers, gold fan resistor (previous owner), s/s bumper bolts, uprated under tray fittings
silicone intercooler hose, Viton O rings, Crofts door finishers, boot badge, wood dash, Phil-t4's magic wand, wood wheel, mk2 repeaters, HK tweeters & Angel eye projectors.
Gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2015, 22:46   #10
neilb740
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT 1.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
Its really not Haynes fault. The manuals used to be able to cover the entire car, but cars became many times more complex, with many more engine options, gearbox options and an horrendously complex electrical systems.

How can a company hope to document a car in a small book, which is several thousands times more complex, when compared to say the likes of a Ford Cortina and do so at an affordable cost?
The Haynes for my GT6 and my ZT are about the same thickness.

To put that into context - the fuse box on my GT6 has 4 fuses in it lol
neilb740 is offline   Reply With Quote