Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 27th November 2021, 17:54   #1
Stonybiosphere

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Another one bites the dust! Parts Salvage advice wanted.

Hello Everyone,

My family are long standing Rover fans, I currently own a 75 and a close member of my family does too! Unfortunately, in a recent check-up, their Rover 75 (51 plate) was found to be rusted to oblivion at the back end. To my horror, she's decided to scrap it and get a Peugeot 107 as a replacement.

I've not been able to change her mind, but she has offered me full pickings over parts before it goes to the scrapyard, where I believe she will get £100 for it. My first question is, is there anyone on this forum who would be willing to take this car and either keep it on the road or use the parts from it to keep others going? I would myself but I simply don't have room!

Offer aside, are there any parts that are highly recommended to get from a running car that are worth keeping in supply that aren't too difficult to remove? The swaps will be from a 51 to an 03 plate, same engine, both pre-facelift.

Currently my car has a few problems going on with the offside rear window (Rusty strut and window won't go down), so I'm taking parts for that, as well as some of the belly plastics and the cooling fan (Mine is the dreaded 3 speed (Not working), and I believe she has a perfectly functional 2 speed).

The car is currently sitting in North Yorkshire, and will be driven to a local scrapyard on Tuesday, where its fate will be sealed. Any advice about making the most from this would be appreciated. If I've posted this in the wrong place, please let me know and I'll move it!

Thanks,
Sam
Stonybiosphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2021, 18:20   #2
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

San,
if the car has an mot I would be willing to take it and use it to keep other cars on the road. I have space to store it but need the mot to drive it home. I have given spares away for free recently.
Can I ask if it is petrol or diesel, auto or manual?

macafee2

Last edited by macafee2; 27th November 2021 at 18:23..
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2021, 18:22   #3
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

There is a lot worth keeping, body panels, suspension, door parts, the list goes on. Easier to keep the car complete then strip it for parts instead of stripping it and then crapping the shell

macafee2
Old 27th November 2021, 18:51   #4
Stonybiosphere

Rover 75 Saloon

Hi macafee2,

The car is the 2.0 Diesel, manual. I would not say it's driveable at the moment, the rear tyres are bald due to the fault on the rear end, and all we could see was that it was rusted beyond what my family member was willing to spend money on. I thought it would be better if she could get same as scrap value for it but the parts go somewhere useful or is restored.
The wishbones have poly bushes fitted, which was no mean feat! So I definitely agree it's worth trying to keep what we can
Running wise the car is sound. The issues it has that have made my family member deem it a write off are as follows:
Rust to rear end, resulting in (we think) snapped rear links causing tyres to bald very quickly.
No centre locking and boot does not open with key (She did buy replacement parts for this, just never got around to having them fitted)
ABS light on, I believe a mechanic has diagnosed this issue and we have the part, but again it has not been fitted.
Other than that, the gearbox, engine, and electronics work fine and it would be much better to try and salvage the car than scrap it.

Hope this helps!
Sam
Old 27th November 2021, 19:01   #5
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thank you for the reply Sam. Unfortunately I have no no means of transporting the car so would have to pass on this.
For anyone that can transport it it is well worth having for spares.

good luck

macafee2
Old 27th November 2021, 19:02   #6
Stonybiosphere

Rover 75 Saloon

Correction! She went to have the swinging arm bushes replaced, which is what has caused the tyres to be in the state they are, and the mechanic saw rust in the chassis area around where he was doing the job, which he thought would be uneconomical to repair. I'm unsure of the exact state of the car, as I've not seen it recently, but it has an MOT until the 13th of December. It would fail on the ABS light and the swinging arm bushes and possibly the rust, but is currently driveable, although rather ropey on two bald tyres.
Old 27th November 2021, 19:11   #7
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Are they looking to give the car away if it is broken for spares and used to help members keep their cars on the road?

macafee2
Old 27th November 2021, 19:13   #8
Stonybiosphere

Rover 75 Saloon

The car does have a spare in the boot that isn't bald, so potentially a fix to make it driveable could be bringing a backup wheel and swapping the backs to drive on those. She managed to drive it for long enough to bald the tyres with no incidents, so I can't imagine it couldn't do one last journey to save it from the crusher.

The car definitely has potential as a more than spares car, just needs attention from someone with the time and the right mind.
Old 27th November 2021, 19:18   #9
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Sam I will send you a private message
macafee2
Old 27th November 2021, 19:19   #10
Stonybiosphere

Rover 75 Saloon

I've not spoken to her about the future of that car yet, I just know she was planning to get the scrap value for it and I know what happens to them when they go to a scrapyard as I've called more than a few looking for parts.

I would like to get the parts I need off it if it's just going to be used by someone else for parts, but if it was my car I'd be more than happy to give it away to someone who will get a few more miles from a piece from it, or get a car out of it at the end, than watch someone melt it down and forget it ever existed.

In that sense, I'd be happy to pay my family member if there's money they're hoping to get out of the car at scrap that someone who wants the car for an actual use, either restoration or parts, doesn't want to pay for.

Hope that makes sense!