Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 24th November 2021, 13:47   #11
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Oooh lots of very good points for me to try to answer.

Yes I know Ian and I don't disagree with you on your point that the meaning of "genuine" is open to interpretation.

I have no idea when the parts were made or the identity of the manufacturer, but then that also applies to parts bought for cars which remain in production at an assembly plant which is still trading. So I would ask, why make a big thing of it as far as MG Rover is concerned?

Ha, ha. No sweets I'm afraid but I'm not a fan of that sort of marketing anyway.

Hi Alan,

Rimmer Bros., BS Motors/E Car Parts and many ex-MGR main dealers are what I would call X-Part "agents" since they have an account with X-Part and obtain their stock from them. In that respect I suppose X-Part could be called a wholesaler but they will also sell direct to the vehicle owner without imposing wholesale minimum order quantities. You could say that's the best of both worlds!

Yes, I would agree with you there. Another example is the anti-roll bar ("drop") links.

Yes Andy, also in my experience China and the UK. But (politics aside) does it really matter where parts are made so long as they are functional, durable and are a reasonable price?

£6 was just the shipping charge.

Simon
The parts are genuine xpart parts with mgr labels, not genuine mgr parts. As I understand it, xpart have the rights to label and sell parts as mgr. These parts can be of whatever standard they set, and not what was designed or specified for the car.

Undotunately agents, I believe, also haveto sell at a set price to eliminate any competition within the co-OP.

Reminds me of an old.company I worked for, that was an a1 motor stores agent - which to be fair, some of their relabelled products were quite good, some were sung though, but all were sold at the price instructed.

Anyway it was the service that you were congratulating ultimately. For that consideration, eurocarparts always gets my vote- even if their parts and accuracy may not lol.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2021, 13:54   #12
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS View Post
Simon - I hope you have now realised why I gave you the opportunity to confirm if you had received free sweets from X-Part. Evidently they are important in opinion forming and development of camaraderie!

People posting responses. Please note what Simon actually wrote 'just to let members know that X-Part is another choice on which you can rely'. He highlighted a choice, which is yours to make.

I also feel that too many are once again confusing different terms. Simon did not use the term OEM, which would have indicated an item complying with the original manufacturer's specification and manufactured by the original manufacturer. He used the the term genuine, which is correct as the parts business of MGR was X-part and was sold on at the time of MGR's demise. So X-Part are technically the only source who can correctly claim that their parts for MGR cars are genuine. Age of the part is irrelevant in this context for who is to say that an OEM P, Q, R or non-genuine part is not 25 years old?

I am thrilled to note that a female (I assume Katy is one but we embrace all nevertheless) is employed to sell car parts by X-Part as opposed to the usual John, Nick, Tom etc. We need to embrace equality and in my view this alone would be a good enough reason to order from X-Part, as it is to order from Carole at Best of British.

Finally, and on the question of equality, there is nothing wrong with Indian made parts - we Indians are quite good at making things. Observe this the next time you tuck into a Balti!

Relax and buy from whoever you choose.
Ahh ref the balti, that is not necessarily the parts, but rather the sum of the parts (ie the car). And in saying that, stephen from carrickfergus, at my local Indian takeaway also makes a rather fine and apparently authentic balti I have been told (am not a curry fan lol).

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2021, 17:12   #13
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Simon - I hope you have now realised why I gave you the opportunity to confirm if you had received free sweets from X-Part. Evidently they are important in opinion forming and development of camaraderie!

People posting responses. Please note what Simon actually wrote 'just to let members know that X-Part is another choice on which you can rely'. He highlighted a choice, which is yours to make.

I also feel that too many are once again confusing different terms. Simon did not use the term OEM, which would have indicated an item complying with the original manufacturer's specification and manufactured by the original manufacturer. He used the the term genuine, which is correct as the parts business of MGR was X-part and was sold on at the time of MGR's demise. So X-Part are technically the only source who can correctly claim that their parts for MGR cars are genuine. Age of the part is irrelevant in this context for who is to say that an OEM P, Q, R or non-genuine part is not 25 years old?

I am thrilled to note that a female (I assume Katy is one but we embrace all nevertheless) is employed to sell car parts by X-Part as opposed to the usual John, Nick, Tom etc. We need to embrace equality and in my view this alone would be a good enough reason to order from X-Part, as it is to order from Carole at Best of British.

Finally, and on the question of equality, there is nothing wrong with Indian made parts - we Indians are quite good at making things. Observe this the next time you tuck into a Balti!

I hope people read your post and mine so they can make an informed decision about the part they are buying being genuine. Personally I think if the part is made in "2020" by a company that had nothing to do with Rover, there is no way on gods earth I will consider it genuine and I take a very dim view of any company calling it genuine. Makes it hard for me to buy genuine parts

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2021, 17:43   #14
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
I hope people read your post and mine so they can make an informed decision about the part they are buying being genuine. Personally I think if the part is made in "2020" by a company that had nothing to do with Rover, there is no way on gods earth I will consider it genuine and I take a very dim view of any company calling it genuine. Makes it hard for me to buy genuine parts

macafee2

If I go and buy a part for my Omega from Vauxhall, it will be genuine Vauxhall even if not manufactured by the OEM many years ago around the time that the Omega was still in production. Why would it be any different for a part sold by X-Part?

For me, a part described as 'OEM' with an appropriate extension will carry far tighter tolerance of expectation than a part described as 'genuine'.

You may care to read this thread I started on the very topic back in 2014.

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...d.php?t=201127
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2021, 17:46   #15
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

I have just bought and fitted, a genuine lambda sensor from Best of British from their eBay shop, next day delivery too 😎

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2021, 17:57   #16
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
If I go and buy a part for my Omega from Vauxhall, it will be genuine Vauxhall even if not manufactured by the OEM many years ago around the time that the Omega was still in production. Why would it be any different for a part sold by X-Part?

For me, a part described as 'OEM' with an appropriate extension will carry far tighter tolerance of expectation than a part described as 'genuine'.

You may care to read this thread I started on the very topic back in 2014.

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...d.php?t=201127
You are buying the part from Vauxhall who are now using a different manufacturer. Rover no longer exists.

macafee2
Old 24th November 2021, 18:06   #17
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
You are buying the part from Vauxhall who are now using a different manufacturer. Rover no longer exists.

macafee2

And here, you are buying parts from the business (now part of X-Part) that was part of MG Rover when it existed. It was sold off to Caterpillar/X-Part. I don't see how that is any different from the parts arm of Vauxhall, which is now part of Stellantis the current owner of the Vauxhall brand.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2021, 18:09   #18
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

As our cars get older, we will have to use whatever is available, this doesn’t stop us going to local suppliers for the likes of O rings, seals etc, as more of them than not these are of better quality than the ‘genuine’ parts offered by X part.
Old 24th November 2021, 18:51   #19
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
And here, you are buying parts from the business (now part of X-Part) that was part of MG Rover when it existed. It was sold off to Caterpillar/X-Part. I don't see how that is any different from the parts arm of Vauxhall, which is now part of Stellantis the current owner of the Vauxhall brand.
We are going round in circles, lets just disagree.

macafee2
Old 24th November 2021, 19:55   #20
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
... there is nothing wrong with Indian made parts - we Indians are quite good at making things. Observe this the next time you tuck into a Balti!
Absolutely Maninder but I'm surprised that Ian hasn't picked you up on this. Some sources say that the balti was invented in Birmingham by the Pakistani community. I've heard similar said of chicken tikka masala. So when is an Indian dish "genuine" and is it even correct to call it Indian? I understand that our restaurants are actually Bangladeshi. Oh dear, I'm treading on thin ice here!

As Pete Towshend wrote: "The simple things you see are all complicated".

Quote:

Simon