Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 19th November 2021, 20:44   #21
Pete
Owners Club Director

Rover 75

I'd love to have another go on a RGV250, they're little crackers and I do love a 2-stroke - finger's crossed I'll soon have my BSA back on the road. But I've always had a hankering for a Ducati 750 Paso too, and I'd love to have my old 750 Monster back in the workshop again.

Follow The Club On Twitter
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2021, 20:56   #22
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rab60bit View Post
Now you've gone off thread reservation - electric start, all you could strain was a thumb
Ah now, it had a kickstart as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
The CX500 seemed to have a common fail point but for the life of me cannot recall what it was.
The plastic maggot Camchain tensioner was dodgy on early models and continued to be a problem.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2021, 00:21   #23
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevestrat View Post
I had a Norton, '72 750 Commando Roadster. The diameter at the end of the silencer was the same as the diameter at the cylinder head with very little inbetween, that was the standard system I couldn't start it in the (double) garage, it would trigger the alarm on my other bike and my father's car.
It was a brute of a bike, kickstart only and if you didn't do it right it would kick back, did that to me once and I couldn't walk on rough ground for a week.
I had a 650SS with featherbed frame, can't recall the reg. number but it was from some of the final production to come out of Nortons Bracebridge Street works. Traditional Norton black and silver, standard engine went like stink; had some Seeley production racer upswept silencers that boosted the bhp a little and improved 'scratchability'. Don't recall having any difficulty starting it but the later Commando and Atlas engines were 'harsh', weren't really Norton were they...?
rab60bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2021, 10:01   #24
Lovel
I really should get out more.......

P6B, L550, Imp, F56, Commando

It’s funny that this discussion has just come up. These last couple of days I have been in negotiations with the dealer to purchase this 1977 Commando 850 Mk3, however just been informed that someone has put a deposit down on it.

Lovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2021, 10:16   #25
Phil th Barrow
Gets stuck in

" NOW SOLD" :-( Rover 75 Conni Auto SE

You snooze you loose.... Nice bike though.

I own a Manx Norton. Its in th front room..

Old 20th November 2021, 14:46   #26
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovel View Post
It’s funny that this discussion has just come up. These last couple of days I have been in negotiations with the dealer to purchase this 1977 Commando 850 Mk3, however just been informed that someone has put a deposit down on it.
That's an Interstate (sometimes referred to as In A State!), mine was the Roadster, traditional black with gold lettering/pinstriping. It was reimported from California by a guy who was then flogging it (with others, mainly Japanese) through my local bike shop. Half fancied a Brit bike but never really liked Triumphs. Corrosion free but it was a bit of a dog, had to revert a lot of stuff back to standard, God awful mega silencers, velocity stacks, oversize carb jets, I was on RGM's best customer list The bikes (at the time Commando and Honda Goldwing) went when I got married

T4 Location Map
Old 21st November 2021, 17:42   #27
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldrover View Post
Still have the scar on my knee from kick starting the Velocette Venom I had, lovely bike wish I had it now.
Yup. Bought my Thruxton new in 1966, fresh from the factory price with a local dealership - £399 (come to think it might have been £299 and the engine number was VMT399, old age showing itself) on the road! I believe it's still in the hands of the second owner who got it for....£250 (from memory, or thereabouts) + an MZ 250 'roadster' in pretty good condition; both bikes were fairly low (>10K) milage. When sold it had been completely rebuilt, upgraded with Geoff Dodkin improvements (like a non-slipping/burning out clutch.. and a remote float that didn't froth the fuel!) and reverted by me to traditional Velo. black/gold from the god awful silver/blue the factory thought appealed to their dwindling public. Worst decision I ever made (well, the Mrs. made for me actually). A genuine Thruxton today is going for excess £27K
I recall a Thruxton won the IoM 500cc Production TT race one year and at a quiet time of day during race week there I was flat on the tank going up the Mountain Mile thinking "this was fast" (the clock showed 115mph 'ish and all my teeth were rattling) when a 750 Honda 4 went flying past me, owner sitting bolt upright with a billowing jacket behind him disappearing into the distance....definitely end of the line for the British big pot single.

Last edited by rab60bit; 21st November 2021 at 18:09..
rab60bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2021, 11:38   #28
YHT
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

1st bike was a James with a Villers 9F engine; must have pushed it as much as rode it. Then a 1947 Norton Model 18, Roadholder forks but solid back end. (Not new) At least it had an exhaust valve lifter to help get the piston in the right place for kick starting ad a stand that swung under the back wheel so no need to balance the bike while starting. Next was a Commando 750 twin which vibrated like a pnuematic drill. Not very reliable either; it didnt like rain that seemed to get into the ignition system. Gave it up when I got a car (Mk1 Ford Cortina) but when I went to colege bought a 125 Honda which was a bit gutless but did the job and lots mpg. Only problem was a hole in the piston when on the way to London one night. Bought it home to Suffolk on the engine cover of the wife's Hillman Imp, repaired in in a day and then back to college. Dint really want to back there; I have a R75 to keep me arm, dry, vibration free, economical etc.
YHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2021, 12:30   #29
Phil th Barrow
Gets stuck in

" NOW SOLD" :-( Rover 75 Conni Auto SE

Talking of kick starts... Inn th early 90's i had a 600 single, (full name Yam 600 SRX super single) twin carb 4 valve head with a dry sump arangement. This had a de comp set up and a pig to start if not used for a while. Did my fastest lap at IOM on this .... I darnt tell you what it was case it gives ya mad dreams. :-) Carrying corner speed was head of th to do list in them days.

Also on one clear day th magnets came adrift on th magneto going down to Creg ny Bar one day which was a worry... Put blue stuff on th threads latter and all was well.

Old 22nd November 2021, 13:44   #30
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Quote:
Originally Posted by YHT View Post
Next was a Commando 750 twin which vibrated like a pnuematic drill.
Shouldn't have been that bad . . . . provided the isolastic engine mounts were in good condition, set up and shimmed correctly.

T4 Location Map