Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 13th November 2021, 07:57   #1
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts
Default Oh

Most of the trees in our front and back garden have a TPO on them. We have applied for planning permission to cut a lot of them back and yesterday a Tree planning officer came round.

We spoke to her about a tree we were not planning to do any work on and her response, take it down it's rotten.

Spoke to her about a tree we want to do work on, her response, take it down it's rotten. She advised us she told the previous owner about this tree in 2019

Neither look as healthy as the others but we did not know it was that bad.

She looked at another tree and read it its last rites, that too will need to come down at some point.

All the trees, Limes, need to be replaced as they have TPO's on them, one like for like but the other we can replace with something that will grow to a similar size so thinking of a Walnut tree. We may loose other trees as the condition the trees have is infectious. No idea how to or if we can stop the infection spreading, will be Googling later.

At least we will have wood for years for our log burner.

Never expected to be told that it is best to take the trees down. We only have to give 5 days notice due to rot.

planning officer did put to bed a rumour that previous owner took a tree down without permission that had a TPO on it. She advised se saw the tree down and it had blown down as the whole root base was up in the air.

macafee2

Last edited by macafee2; 13th November 2021 at 07:59..
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2021, 09:17   #2
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

tpo---?????????????????
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2021, 09:38   #3
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
tpo---?????????????????
Sorry, Tree Preservation Order.
Some councils are more touchy then others. The lady that came out at the end of last week has told us what work we can do without applying for planning permission, as they take a pragmatic view. Other councils may stick to the letter of the law.

Going to speak to someone later about taking the trees down, hoping to get them down via the "my mates" network.

macafee2
Old 14th November 2021, 09:38   #4
dave lincs
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
tpo---?????????????????
Tree preservation order = TPO
dave lincs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2021, 12:12   #5
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

That's treemendous news, if you wanted them gone.

Trees are wonderful, if you don't have to put up with the rubbish that comes from them all year round apart from the leaves.

All the trees that overhang our gardens, and my car, have a CCL exclusion with the owners, that's a Couldn't Care Less attitude.

Trees do encourage a wider variety of wild life, and the squirrels will love a walnut tree, and your lawn for it's nuts.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2021, 18:21   #6
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

To PLANENUT.

We have a variety of trees here in Warm France.--

Figs, cherries, plums, apples etc.

OH, and RED squirrels.----

( eat your heart out. Lol. )
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2021, 20:00   #7
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by planenut View Post
That's treemendous news, if you wanted them gone.

Trees are wonderful, if you don't have to put up with the rubbish that comes from them all year round apart from the leaves.

All the trees that overhang our gardens, and my car, have a CCL exclusion with the owners, that's a Couldn't Care Less attitude.

Trees do encourage a wider variety of wild life, and the squirrels will love a walnut tree, and your lawn for it's nuts.
No dont want them gone. The Limes at the front block the view into our kitchen and garden as well as help mother nature. The trees at the back, help mother nature. Now thinking to replace the tree at the back, with a Sweet Chestnut instead of a Walnut as the Chestnut will fruit before the Walnut.

macafee2
Old 14th November 2021, 20:29   #8
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
No dont want them gone. The Limes at the front block the view into our kitchen and garden as well as help mother nature. The trees at the back, help mother nature. Now thinking to replace the tree at the back, with a Sweet Chestnut instead of a Walnut as the Chestnut will fruit before the Walnut.

macafee2

Sweet Chesnut is a majestic tree, with shiny leaves, which I would recommend. We have two in the garden and they attract a lot of wildlife as well as producing masses of fruit after a hot summer.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2021, 20:29   #9
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

Climate change is causing all sorts of tree problems by encouraging pests and diseases that previously would not have coped in the conditions at the time.

Our neighbour has just had his "urban vandals" removed and our conservatory has sun all day now, which makes it a topcoat warmer and much lighter. He had professionals do the job and it took two days for about five trees. All the branches were shredded and the main trunks cut to lengths and carted away. When we moved in around 20 years ago, the trees were about five feet high but I reckon that they were about 30 foot when felled!

I suppose that three Irishmen could have done the job quicker (tree fellas)!
Old 17th November 2021, 16:19   #10
YHT
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

"All the trees, Limes, need to be replaced as they have TPO's on them, one like for like but the other we can replace with something that will grow to a similar size so thinking of a Walnut tree. We may loose other trees as the condition the trees have is infectious. No idea how to or if we can stop the infection spreading, will be Googling later."

Ref the above. Sorry about the trees being rotten. We have a walnut tree in the garden that was here when we bought the place in 1979. The shells are easy to separate with fingers; no cracker needed. We sow a few each year there is a bumper crop and if you want one (or 2) in pots or a handful of nuts to sow your own you will be very welcome (free!).
YHT is offline   Reply With Quote