Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 31st August 2021, 09:06   #1
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool Broken down, again

Getting my money’s worth out of the AA.

Went to start Banana, going up to Matt’s to get the throttle body changed over and getting him to check the handbrake shoes as advised by the AA last Saturday.
Turns over bur refuses to fire. Cannot hear the pump working. Tried slamming the boot, locked the car up, unlocked, locked up again. Unlocked but still no joy.

Used the AA app and help will be here before 11am.

232750. Be patient Banana, we will soon be back together and enjoying the shows again.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2021, 09:31   #2
Ian G
This is my second home

Small

Thanked 2,991 Times in 1,431 Posts

Maybe the car just likes being around other yellow vehicles Bob maybe get some AA stickers for it. At least it happened at home this time.

Last edited by Ian G; 31st August 2021 at 09:34..
Ian G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2021, 09:46   #3
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

I can see the opportunity for a "how to" coming up Bob. How to grin and bear it, though I doubt some of us could. Good luck.
Fred (planenut)
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2021, 10:05   #4
coolguy
Coolguy

Rover 75 CDT Tourer Auto, Rover 75 2.0 Connoisseur Auto, MG ZT 2.5 Auto and MG ZT Cdti Auto (Monogra

With patience, all cars can get sorted - just hope yours doesn't wear thin.
coolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2021, 11:11   #5
Norfolk Ninja
Avid contributor

Landrover Freelander 1

I just passed a 21 plate Volvo stranded beside the M25 with the hard shoulder live! Its not just our old cars. Regards Graham
Norfolk Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2021, 11:27   #6
coolguy
Coolguy

Rover 75 CDT Tourer Auto, Rover 75 2.0 Connoisseur Auto, MG ZT 2.5 Auto and MG ZT Cdti Auto (Monogra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norfolk Ninja View Post
I just passed a 21 plate Volvo stranded beside the M25 with the hard shoulder live! Its not just our old cars. Regards Graham
It will get worse in the future - there's more stuff to go wrong.
coolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2021, 12:07   #7
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 260, Rover 75 Connie SE auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolguy View Post
It will get worse in the future - there's more stuff to go wrong.
Yes. All that extra tech means many more slowly oxidising low voltage connections.
edwardmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2021, 12:43   #8
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool

As I was not a priority breakdown this time as I was parked at home. So the Yellow van finally arrived at 11.15. Very nice chap tried to start Banana, but no sound from the pump. So he took the rear seat out. Checked the filter then the pump. No power to the pump, his box of tricks that was plugged into Banana told him that there was a mis-fire on 2 cylinders. How? We had no engine running. Daft!

So he then removed the ECU as he said most times they are under water, but Banana’s plenums are perfectly dry. But he still removed the ECU and sprayed contact cleaner on all the contacts. Still no power to the pump.
All the fuses checked under the bonnet and under the glovebox, all ok. Next all the relays were taken out and swapped around. And the relays under the glovebox were removed and put back.

We now had power to the pump, and she started. He then set about putting Banana back together again, but he dropped one of the scuttle clips into the engine bay. But he left looking for that till the end. With everything back he then carried on looking for the elusive clip. In the end he took the under tray off and the clip fell out. So the under tray was put back.

Before shutting the bonnet he wiped everything down, removed a few grubby marks. He then made sure that all his tools were removed from under the bonnet before closing it. Then he typed out his report.

Now for the interesting part. He is AA mechanic but is normally based in Gloucestershire, where he lives. But for the school holidays he brought his motor home down to Looe with his family, wife and two kids. Towed the Yaris behind for the wife to use. He then collects the AA van from a local depot and carry’s on working as per normal but just covering Cornwall and Plymouth. What a marvellous idea. He said that he works every other weekend.

And he loved Banana till I showed what the Bear had under her bonnet. “ Oh! That is the first one I have actually seen. I knew they existed. A very nice rare motor, better still it has a supercharger”.
And he finally left at 13.05.

Certainly getting my money’s worth out of the AA.

232750. Be patient Banana, we will soon be back together and enjoying the shows again.

onen hag oll
Old 31st August 2021, 13:09   #9
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Hi Bob. Banana is certainly taking the biscuit this year. I reckon she is getting the jitters about having a party for when she gets to the moon.Do you think she is worried that you will leave her on the moon when you get there? ������
Old 31st August 2021, 13:14   #10
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
Hi Bob. Banana is certainly taking the biscuit this year. I reckon she is getting the jitters about having a party for when she gets to the moon.Do you think she is worried that you will leave her on the moon when you get there? ������
She just wants her money’s worth out of the AA. We might have had a few choice words this morning, but she will have her party once she gets to the moon.
Many a person would have given up on her by now but she means so much to me. So I’ll keep her for awhile longer.

onen hag oll