Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 3rd August 2021, 08:23   #21
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave lincs View Post
I did one of these last week and it was leaking on the seam as I've seen many times before ...
Dave,

You didn't test yours on the bench to verify your theory did you. You assumed that it was because of what it looked like. Had you filled it with water as I recommended, you would have found out that the seam wasn't leaking after all.
Quote:
You should not tell people not to change it saying it will be the seals unless you or someone has physically looked at it and made a diagnosis
You should not tell people to change the thermostat saying that the seam is leaking when you haven't proved it.
Quote:
Surely if you are doing the job you might as well change it ...
Definitely not Dave. Firstly "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" and secondly you'd more than likely end up with an incorrect 82˚ thermostat replacing your perfectly serviceable and correct 88˚ original part. Where's the sense in that?

Simon
Old 3rd August 2021, 08:34   #22
biffa75
Trader

Mk1 2004 tourer cdti + MK1 2003 Saloon CDT

Lightbulb

If it is the original thermostat (depending on how bad the leak is) if you can take it for a drive using the onboard diagnostics to show the coolant temp as you drive. If It does run at the constant higher temp I would then be inspecting the thermostat as Simon states, it can be down to just the o ring. With the thermostat removed, block off some of the ports and put some water in it and duct tape a bicycle pump and block any other ports off etc and apply a little bit pressure using the pump and see if the seam does leak. If it doesn't.. you could.just replace the o ring.

If it has broken at the welded seam... Order up a new one but as I and others have found. New thermostats for the kv6 open at a lower temp and run at lower temperatures. I have been reassured that this won't cause any issues if you do have to replace it. It doesn't appear to matter where you order one from either the results are the same wether they are sourced through x-part agents or not.
Old 3rd August 2021, 08:43   #23
dave lincs
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Dave,

You didn't test yours on the bench to verify your theory did you. You assumed that it was because of what it looked like. Had you filled it with water as I recommended, you would have found out that the seam wasn't leaking after all.

You should not tell people to change the thermostat saying that the seam is leaking when you haven't proved it.

Definitely not Dave. Firstly "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" and secondly you'd more than likely end up with an incorrect 82˚ thermostat replacing your perfectly serviceable and correct 88˚ original part. Where's the sense in that?

Simon
Simon

I did not test it as per you recommended as over the years i have done loads of these and have seen lots that have split on the seams as im sure other members have as well

What is the point of refitting and old unit back which will almost certain leak?, There is no point mincing about spending ages trying seals etc when i can change all the parts and bleed it up in just over an hour so quite simple Simon really to me job done owner happy?

Dave
dave lincs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2021, 09:35   #24
bluebird
Passed Away

Trophy Blue ZT T

Well Simon I don't normally comment on these sort of post but I've been reading through other post u have commented on and I must say I will definitely NOT buy or let u repair any of my cars if u want to tell people cam belts don't need changing torque settings etc then I suggest u stop as this will put other members cars in jeopardy unless ur prepared to pay for repairs

Yes I am female and don't come back with what does a women know because I know a lot more than u think
Old 3rd August 2021, 10:36   #25
Dorset Bob
Senior Citizen

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur SE,Chrysler 300C,124 Spider, Daytona 955i,Honda XL250 & Royal Enfield 650GT

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,686 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Hello Stephen,

..Cars deteriorate rapidly when they're not used, even if in dry storage. New faults will magically appear so that if or when you come back to the Rover in several years' time, the task will be even worse than it is now....
I agree with you Simon, this is also true of low use (low mileage) ones.

Rather proves the point of time based maintenance, that is laid down by every manufacturer on the planet, doesn't it?

Let the good times roll............

Dorset Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2021, 12:57   #26
StephenEssex
Loves to post

2000 Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur

Quote:
Hi
Did you get your thermostat done? If not there must be a local member on here who could pop over and do it for you

Dave
Hi, no I haven't touched it. I did pop the garage door up about 3 weeks ago and one of the front tyres had gone flat. It was looking rather sorry for itself and it was tipping down with rain so just closed the garage door again. My intention is when finances allow to find someone local to where the car is stored to look at the coolant leak, run it up to temperature and check all the fluids.

It needs an MOT, the sills looked crusty last time it was jacked up, the primrose paint is very bad and faded on all vertical panels i.e. Bonnet, Roof and Boot. Electric seats, sunroof and mirrors don't work.

I saved this from going to the scrappy in 2015, the rear box was being held up with some rope and had no MOT! all these bodges have been rectified but it now needs a real going over and that will cost lots of money, I guess £2000 or £3000 with all the paint.
StephenEssex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2021, 16:35   #27
dave lincs
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenEssex View Post
Hi, no I haven't touched it. I did pop the garage door up about 3 weeks ago and one of the front tyres had gone flat. It was looking rather sorry for itself and it was tipping down with rain so just closed the garage door again. My intention is when finances allow to find someone local to where the car is stored to look at the coolant leak, run it up to temperature and check all the fluids.

It needs an MOT, the sills looked crusty last time it was jacked up, the primrose paint is very bad and faded on all vertical panels i.e. Bonnet, Roof and Boot. Electric seats, sunroof and mirrors don't work.

I saved this from going to the scrappy in 2015, the rear box was being held up with some rope and had no MOT! all these bodges have been rectified but it now needs a real going over and that will cost lots of money, I guess £2000 or £3000 with all the paint.
Hi Stephen

Im sure there must be someone on here that would take a look for you and perhaps even do it if its just the thermostat leaking, if not next time i get down that way i would gladly take a look for you and sort out the seats mirrors and sunroof at the same time

Dave
dave lincs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2021, 09:14   #28
StephenEssex
Loves to post

2000 Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur

Quote:
Hi Stephen

Im sure there must be someone on here that would take a look for you and perhaps even do it if its just the thermostat leaking, if not next time i get down that way i would gladly take a look for you and sort out the seats mirrors and sunroof at the same time

Dave
Thank you that is a very kind offer. The sunroof has never opened even from new, the Rover garage in North London could never get it open (I know the original owners and they recall Rover being at a loss with it)

I would gladfully pay a trusted member to take the keys to carry out some work, the car is locked away in a garage in Deal in Kent.
StephenEssex is offline   Reply With Quote