Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 30th January 2021, 19:00   #51
BOZZ
Avid contributor

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ched View Post
Another simple test to do is remove the coolant cap, fill the tank to the brim, remove the spark plugs, remove the fuel pump relay, then get someone to crank the engine over, while you watch to see if any water starts spitting from any cylinder then its either hgf, a cracked liner or head.
Remove the plugs from the front bank and try it before you do the rears, I've heard and had it myself that the front centre is usually the one that goes.

I hope you don't have hgf, I've had 2 cars go with it, the second had hgf due to failing O rings on the long plastic pipe to thermo and subsequent coolant loss.
this trick it is very old school I will see what I can do tomorrow (don't think a lot ) but start prep my self for new engine
Old 12th February 2021, 19:01   #52
BOZZ
Avid contributor

MG ZT

Just quick small update , I return car back to garage so they can sort out pressure in the system , they find thermostat leak( new one) and bleed screw leak too , as they spent time to seal all to do pressure check I get report back at 93*C degree 70 kpa on idle but on idle I don't have a problem it is when I drive and revs come close to 4000 rpm. So they gonna do test drive on Monday. Will see what come.
Old 20th February 2021, 14:06   #53
BOZZ
Avid contributor

MG ZT

Small update , finally find problem and thanks to Ched for advice about front bank . Compression on hot engine was smaller then on cold remove head find out this.IMG-20210219-WA0001.jpg .Then skim head again as it was skimmed ones before this is 20 micronIMG-20210219-WA0002.jpg and this 80 micronIMG-20210219-WA0004.jpg , then check the liners IMG-20210219-WA0003.jpg now waiting for parts to arrive and then start build back together .
Old 21st February 2021, 11:02   #54
Ched
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT V8, MGZT 135 derv ,MG TF 135

Glad you found the problem.
Personally I think if the coolant level drops too low, the engine can probably cope with it happening once, maybe twice if it doesn’t drop too much, after that it’s hgf time.
Oh for a coolant level sensor for the v6.
I’ve had two engines go on me with hgf, both the same cylinder, and both through leaking coolant systems, the second one was faulty seals on the thermostat, after the third replacement hgf wasn’t very far away.
Ched is offline   Reply With Quote