Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 1st September 2020, 06:34   #1
Simondi
Regional Secretary

MGTF, MG ZS EV Exclusive

Thanked 3,563 Times in 1,857 Posts
Default Scenic drives?

So earlier this year Mrs Simondi and I were planning to do the North Coast 500 in the TF but due to COVID we had to postpone - that will be next year's treat.

Instead we are going to tour back up from my daughter's near Hull staying over in Whitby and Alnwick. We will be taking the ZT and I am planning the route from Hull any suggestions for the best scenic drive?
Simondi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2020, 18:39   #2
2Diesels
Trader

ZT 260SE, Connoisseur CDT

From Alnwick head for Rothbury, call in at the bakers for some delicious pies (the one up a height on the main street, follow the main road through Thropton, Hepple & Elsdon, then join the A696 & head north through Otterburn merging with the A68 & keep going over Carter Bar, or alternatively cut across to Bellingham & turn right to Lanehead then left & follow the road through Stannersburn, past Kielder Reservoir & on through Kielder village & Deadwater, turn left at the T junction at Saughtree & head out through Newcastleton to the A7 or turn right just before Newcastleton past the Whitrope heritage centre traaaiiiiiiinnnns up to Hawick
2Diesels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2020, 19:22   #3
skellum
Avid contributor

MG ZT

This would have been a great year for the 500. We're on the Isle of Lewis and I've been driving the TF top-down except for just 3 wet weeks in July.
Unfortunately I'm seeing a pretty nasty attitude on show, with visitors experiencing open hostility. With luck it will pass as the covid panic does down.
skellum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2020, 19:44   #4
Simondi
Regional Secretary

MGTF, MG ZS EV Exclusive

Thanked 3,563 Times in 1,857 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Diesels View Post
From Alnwick head for Rothbury, call in at the bakers for some delicious pies (the one up a height on the main street, follow the main road through Thropton, Hepple & Elsdon, then join the A696 & head north through Otterburn merging with the A68 & keep going over Carter Bar, or alternatively cut across to Bellingham & turn right to Lanehead then left & follow the road through Stannersburn, past Kielder Reservoir & on through Kielder village & Deadwater, turn left at the T junction at Saughtree & head out through Newcastleton to the A7 or turn right just before Newcastleton past the Whitrope heritage centre traaaiiiiiiinnnns up to Hawick
Thanks Colin, that sounds perfect. Pies and trains
Simondi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2020, 05:58   #5
2Diesels
Trader

ZT 260SE, Connoisseur CDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simondi View Post
Thanks Colin, that sounds perfect. Pies and trains
I thought that would appeal
2Diesels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2020, 09:24   #6
ricardo65
This is my second home

mgzt cdti 160.mgzt 1.8t mg6 1.8t

Thanked 1,652 Times in 969 Posts

Not too much choice from hull Simon for me I like the coast road to Whitby take the A 165 out of hull towards Bridlington worth a drive along the promenade B1255 Flamborough North South landing Bempton all worth a visit B1229 rejoin A 165 Reighton detour Filey and Filey Brigg back onto the A165 Scarborough were marine drive and sea front is must drive although can become busy at times at the Northbay pick up the A165 again burniston join the A171 Whitby at cloughton you can either stay on the 171 or take the road to staintondale and rejoin the 171 further on Robin Hoods Bay is a must detour on the way to Whitby i can vouch for this route as I did this on my way back to hull yesterday

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=213906
ricardo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2020, 10:42   #7
DRWMGTF
Loves to post

Rover 75 2.0 CDT Connoisseur, Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 1.8 Connoisseur SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardo65 View Post
Not too much choice from hull Simon for me I like the coast road to Whitby take the A 165 out of hull towards Bridlington worth a drive along the promenade B1255 Flamborough North South landing Bempton all worth a visit B1229 rejoin A 165 Reighton detour Filey and Filey Brigg back onto the A165 Scarborough were marine drive and sea front is must drive although can become busy at times at the Northbay pick up the A165 again burniston join the A171 Whitby at cloughton you can either stay on the 171 or take the road to staintondale and rejoin the 171 further on Robin Hoods Bay is a must detour on the way to Whitby i can vouch for this route as I did this on my way back to hull yesterday
If you are in that area I would definitely visit Runswick Bay parking in the car park opposite the Cliffemount Hotel and walk down the steps through the old village and down to the sea. Nice pub on the way down. Long walk back up though but there are seats to have a rest and enjoy the sea view.
After that you could also visit Staithes another pleasant walk down through the village to the sea.
DRWMGTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2020, 10:58   #8
DRWMGTF
Loves to post

Rover 75 2.0 CDT Connoisseur, Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 1.8 Connoisseur SE

Having had a look at your route north you could head to Malton (Hull to Malton is a pleasant route, North Yorkshire villages and countryside). Malton to Pickering again a pleasant drive. Pickering to Whitby North Yorkshire moors. If you are into the NT there are several properties along the way. I would then probably drive up the Northumberland coastal route, Alnwick, Alnmouth, Seahouses, Bamburgh, Holy Island, Berwick it all depends whether you have been that way before.
DRWMGTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2020, 11:20   #9
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRWMGTF View Post
Having had a look at your route north you could head to Malton (Hull to Malton is a pleasant route, North Yorkshire villages and countryside). Malton to Pickering again a pleasant drive. Pickering to Whitby North Yorkshire moors. If you are into the NT there are several properties along the way. I would then probably drive up the Northumberland coastal route, Alnwick, Alnmouth, Seahouses, Bamburgh, Holy Island, Berwick it all depends whether you have been that way before.
If you do as David suggests Simon, you could take the road from Pickering to Whitby over the moors known lically as Rosedale Chimney
Old 2nd September 2020, 13:24   #10
ricardo65
This is my second home

mgzt cdti 160.mgzt 1.8t mg6 1.8t

Thanked 1,652 Times in 969 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPWC View Post
If you do as David suggests Simon, you could take the road from Pickering to Whitby over the moors known lically as Rosedale Chimney
I always find the road from hull to Malton very lacklustre until you get to Pickering but turn left at the roundabout in Pickering on the A170 and turn off again to Hutton le hole once in Hutton le hole turn right towards the car park straight by next left this will take you to the top of Rosedale chimney as rich has suggested into Rosedale turn right towards egton bridge this is a road the ZT loves

Sent from my VFD 710 using Tapatalk

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=213906
ricardo65 is offline   Reply With Quote