Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 9th April 2020, 21:04   #11101
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sworks View Post
Mrs sworks said, “have you got the removal keys handy”
I have about 300 genuine sets should you need some
Old 10th April 2020, 17:17   #11102
Andy24601
Regular poster

Rover saloon

Default bodger, no badger

So, with Terry Thomas (my wife's name for the '75') up on ramps, I've been strenuously avoiding looking too closely at the 'metal' between the rear wheel arch and the jacking point. It was all a bit suspiciously lumpy and a quick pass with the flap wheel on the grinder resulted in a cloud of 'pudding' dust. Rather than replace rusty metal with good steel, the previous owner had decided to fill in the gap with some of plastic padding's finest (or 'bog' as the Australians so quaintly call it). Admittedly it was the good stuff, complete with glass fibre strands for the extra illusion of strength, but still...
I live in Southend, where even without a pandemic, getting anyone to weld car bodywork is seemingly impossible or insanely expensive. Oh well, a very minor problem compared with evrything else that's going on in the world (blooming bodgers!!)
Andy24601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2020, 19:53   #11103
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Took all the wheels off and brake calipers so I could clean everything up. Been standing since September last year, so some surface rust was inevitable. Wire brushed the calipers and noticed that the offside ones are more rusty than the near side ones? Strange that.Took the brake pads out of calipers and cleaned up the bearing areas which the ears of the pads sit in on the calipers,and put a smear of copper ease on the ears so they slid in the calipers nicely. Put a smear of the same on the piston face to brake pad.Checked the pistons were free in the pot, they were.Put them all back and now everything works as it should. Did a bit of Waxoylepainting on exposed parts underneath on chassis and subframe. Still have to do the brakepipes which seem ok but have not really had a good look at them yet.
Old 11th April 2020, 13:44   #11104
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Fitted my new wireless to the ZT

Much moderness

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2020, 14:19   #11105
skellum
Avid contributor

MG ZT

Had a very good morning.
Sealed the bottom of my rear screen following the tips on here: Eased up the chrome finish strip, prised out and cleaned most of the retaining clips, then refitted with bathroom-grade sealant round the holes which accept the clips. The car will stay covered for a day or two to keep off any rain while it cures.

Replaced failed rear light cluster-it had filled with water and ruined the contacts. 10 minutes to swap the lamp holder unit for a replacement one, sorted.

Replaced nearside front-to-back brake pipe, using CuNiFer and stainless unions.

Then got stopped in my tracks. The bleed nipple on the O/S rear caliper is absolutely seized. I'd obtained a replacement caliper, so planned to swap caliper, fit new pipe, and bleed.
Wrong caliper!
Removed the original, and as soon as I offered up the replacement saw it was similar but the 'jaws' are too wide. Far too loose over the new pads, with a good 10mm of play.
A bit disappointing.
skellum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2020, 15:47   #11106
bluebird
Passed Away

Trophy Blue ZT T

Quote:
Originally Posted by skellum View Post
Had a very good morning.
Sealed the bottom of my rear screen following the tips on here: Eased up the chrome finish strip, prised out and cleaned most of the retaining clips, then refitted with bathroom-grade sealant round the holes which accept the clips. The car will stay covered for a day or two to keep off any rain while it cures.

Replaced failed rear light cluster-it had filled with water and ruined the contacts. 10 minutes to swap the lamp holder unit for a replacement one, sorted.

Replaced nearside front-to-back brake pipe, using CuNiFer and stainless unions.

Then got stopped in my tracks. The bleed nipple on the O/S rear caliper is absolutely seized. I'd obtained a replacement caliper, so planned to swap caliper, fit new pipe, and bleed.
Wrong caliper!
Removed the original, and as soon as I offered up the replacement saw it was similar but the 'jaws' are too wide. Far too loose over the new pads, with a good 10mm of play.
A bit disappointing.
Sounds like a vented caliper from a 180 or a 190.
Old 11th April 2020, 16:13   #11107
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
Fitted my new wireless to the ZT

Much moderness

Brian
Much modernness next to a CK3100. How do I upgrade to an AyePhurn

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2020, 18:23   #11108
sewerman
Gets stuck in

MG ZT+ CDTi

Changed the oil and filter in the ZT straightforward except the bl#$dy bonnet wouldn't open after much firkling under the wheel arch got it open. All 3 cables fine and moved freely? And had had the turning it round mod done to the cable block. So reassembled it and all fine, fingers crossed 🤞 it stays that way.

Have put a cable tie around the 2 cables though to make it easier to get them if it happens again.

Might do the drop links tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk
sewerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2020, 19:28   #11109
Oldmanlogan
Avid contributor

Rover 75 tourer

Default 75 CDT tourer

Changed front drop links what a horrible job to but satisfying once completed,then tried the rears bolts utterly rusted on hell of job to remove,then whilst both wheels off wire brushed entire rear sub frame and all suspension parts then red oxides everything I could reach,then Dulux primer metalsheild over everything ,then 2 coats of black gloss,then onto changing my wing mirrors to mirror chrome ones ,find this quite challenging as small bolts ,nuts big fingers 😂👍,then full interior clean,Hoover and a full wax on outside,I have also purchased some rather tatty gridspokes but with pretty decent tyres on them I will be just rubbing down primering and black gloss I know not exactly traditional
Oldmanlogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2020, 19:34   #11110
75driver
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 saloon, manual. Rover 75 Tourer, Auto.

Drove the tourer to the shop to free up the rusty looking brake discs.

Drove the silver saloon to the mechanic, to replace the rear arms, as the drivers side is creaking. 😱

The missus followed to pick me up in her Jeep Grand Cherokee, that has a drivers door that won’t open.😓

Collected the duotone/ batten-burg/jam & coconut car from other mechanic who was changing the passenger side front and rear calipers.

Helped father In law change a front window in a Ford P100.

Cars eh..🙄

All done socially distancing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2006 75 Contemporary SE diesel manual (#1)

2003 75T Connoisseur SE diesel auto (For Comfort)
2005 75 Connoisseur SE diesel auto (Marmite duotone )
2006 75 Connoisseur SE diesel auto (The last one?)

2009 E220 (For a change)
2018 L200 (For Big & Heavy Things)
1976 W114 250 Manual (For Sundays)
75driver is offline   Reply With Quote