Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 30th July 2017, 15:03   #21
MDMH757
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Asbestos cement profile roofing sheets contains only about 10 - 15% asbestos so is deemed a low risk material

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk
MDMH757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2017, 15:08   #22
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teflon View Post
We have an old wooden shed with a corrugated asbestos roof. I've always assumed (rightly or wrongly) that it's of no harm whatsoever all the time it's in one piece and have so far left well alone. Obviously, when \ if we remove the shed some professional advice would need to be sought.

Are my assumptions correct?

Cliff
Hi Cliff, The corrugated roof is not harmful as long as its in good condition, any potential danger only occurs when the sheets have been broken, damaged or are deteriorating. Some people use an asbestos corrugate roof sealer to encapsulate the sheets, can be done professionally or by yourself if you know what you are doing.
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2017, 21:45   #23
LeRich
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Cont SE 1.8T

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDMH757 View Post
As it appears Asbestos insulation board was used in place of plasterboard????
Often found behind plasterboard too particularly around stairwells and lift shafts in non-domestic buildings from the mid 20th century. It can be easily missed on surveys.

Asbestos cement sheeting on garage roofs isn't a major problem if in good condition and left undisturbed. It's possible to remove it yourself under controlled conditions, and councils usually have provision to receive it (provided it's correctly wrapped) as waste at household waste recycling centres.
LeRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2017, 19:22   #24
Nantwich 75
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Asbestos found even on your ironing board.
Nantwich 75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2017, 19:53   #25
breakfastinsmethwick
Gets stuck in

Maintainer of sons ZT M47r

We had a full survey done and they did not mention the ceiling in an outbuilding being asbestos.

I had a sample done and it is asbestos insulation board (chrysotile). It's around 7 m2 and we are looking at £2000 to £2300 to have it removed by a licensed contractor under controlled conditions.

I have just taped up the building and left it for now.

There is at least one commentator that claims white (chrysotile) is very low risk and can be removed by yourself. Others claim that such opinions are funded by asbestos exporting countries. The HSE is very clear that chrysotile is very dangerous in insulation board form as its dusts very easily. The WHO list it as a carcinogen.

I prefer to treat it with extreme care and am saving to get it removed professionally.

During my search for information I have come across conflicting information from test houses which I won't go in to here, I would just say that I think you need to choose carefully where you get advice from. I wonder how many true experts there are.
breakfastinsmethwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2017, 20:13   #26
MDMH757
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakfastinsmethwick View Post
We had a full survey done and they did not mention the ceiling in an outbuilding being asbestos.

I had a sample done and it is asbestos insulation board (chrysotile). It's around 7 m2 and we are looking at £2000 to £2300 to have it removed by a licensed contractor under controlled conditions.

I have just taped up the building and left it for now.

There is at least one commentator that claims white (chrysotile) is very low risk and can be removed by yourself. Others claim that such opinions are funded by asbestos exporting countries. The HSE is very clear that chrysotile is very dangerous in insulation board form as its dusts very easily. The WHO list it as a carcinogen.

I prefer to treat it with extreme care and am saving to get it removed professionally.

During my search for information I have come across conflicting information from test houses which I won't go in to here, I would just say that I think you need to choose carefully where you get advice from. I wonder how many true experts there are.
Asbestos Insulating board (AIB) generally contains between 25 - 40% asbestos, and not only comes as Chrysotile (white), but I have come across AIB being Amosite (brown) & Crocidolite (blue) mixed with chysotile or sometimes on their own.
there is no such thing as "Safer Asbestos" as Chrysotile is sometimes wrongly identified as.

There are two types of Asbestos, Amphiboles (Amosite & Crocidolite) - short straight fibres & Serpentine (Chrysotile) - curly fibres. These 3 are most common found in the UK, however there are 3 lesser known types (tremolite, Anthopyllite & Actinolite) - these 3 are also Amphiboles..
MDMH757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2017, 17:25   #27
Dallas
This is my second home

Rev, How did your asbestos survey go yesterday?
Old 3rd August 2017, 18:57   #28
Rev Jules
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer+

Thanked 3,929 Times in 2,051 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas View Post
Rev, How did your asbestos survey go yesterday?

Hi Dallas it was the damp survey yesterday, the asbestoss one isn't till next Tuesday.

Cheers

Rev
Rev Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2017, 19:03   #29
Dallas
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Jules View Post
Hi Dallas it was the damp survey yesterday, the asbestoss one isn't till next Tuesday.

Cheers

Rev
Oh I see, I'm getting ahead of myself.

Hope it goes well for you.