Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 6th January 2017, 12:01   #1
MDMH757
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Default fitting a Catalytic Converter on 1.8 turbo

Hi All,

I was wondering if there is anyone out there who has replaced a Catalytic Converter on a ZTT 1.8T......

For some reason previous owner removed the cat and replaced with a straight pipe.... so obviously when came to MOT time it failed even though runs on LPG 99% of the time.

MOT Tester said I had a "Massive" leak of exhaust gases from downpipe, so decided to get good used downpipe and new cat pipe.....

My question is when fitting the new cat pipe into the mid box (I think that's what it is called) does the old one just pull out or is it welded into the box so would I need to cut and leave a section of the old pipe protruding from the box so I can join the new cat pipe and fit a pipe clamp.

Any advice/knowledge how/what to do would be gratefully received...

Many Thanks

Maurice
MDMH757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2017, 13:27   #2
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

The aftermarket catalysts come a three holed flange at the flexi end and a slot-on or butt join fitting at the rear.

I notice the Xpart supplied catalyst includes the middle box and uses a butt joint, though the one I fitted years ago didn't. It was more like the aftermarket ones.

This is the current Xpart catalyst.

There's a metal shim gasket in the flanged joint. The rear joint used a conventional U-clamp or one of the MGR compression sleeves depending on the type.

The original exhaust is a one piece system, so any replacement section means cutting the relevant section out.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote