Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Overseas Club Members Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 12th June 2016, 15:29   #1
Astraeus
Regional Secretary North Scotland

MG ZS Exclusive 1.0T Auto 2022

Thanked 1,855 Times in 1,058 Posts
Default V6 fuel consumption on LPG

I have been interested in recent questions about the V6 and its fuel consumption figures. Over the past couple of weeks I have been recording things very carefully. This includes a wide mixture of driving including commuting, leisure weekend stuff and a 260 round trip from here to visit our son in RAF Lossiemouth.
As my car runs on LPG I was particularly interested in the comparisons between it and the diesel unit.

Now the facts over just short of 500 miles. This has worked out at exactly 23.8 miles per gallon. That perhaps does not sound great but that has been the truth. However as this was running on LPG this equates to an equivelant in cost comparison with the diesel of

Lpg @0.49 p per litre equals £2.23 per gallon
Diesel @ 1.08 per litre equals £4.92 per gallon.

Given some folk claim to get 48 MPG figures overall on diesel I will base it on that

Roughly speaking the cost of running my V6 compared to running a diesel is actually ( talking purely fuel here) about the same.

This is more or less what I expected. Given that LPG returns slightly less MPG shown in the 23.8 ( with petrol a bit more)

So there you go ....about exactly the same as a diesel, if anything a bit better..

Given that V6 purr that is...
Footnote...this includes the cost of and mileage of petrol used! In summer months mine runs on petrol for maybe 1 minute before switch over first start in morning almost instant thereafter.

Chris

Last edited by Astraeus; 12th June 2016 at 15:33..
Astraeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2016, 18:05   #2
andymc
Posted a thing or two

Wedgewood Connie SE / Black Club SE

Thanks for that, I have often had thoughts of getting a V6 on LPG as I'd love to have the six-cylinder experience without the associated penalty in fuel costs. Must keep an eye out for the price of gas in my area (north Antrim) over the coming week, as there really seem to be some quite significant regional variations - greater than those for petrol or diesel. A brief online search for the most recent info for gas prices around here shows that it was around 63 pence per litre back in February. Would it have been as high as that where you are?
A Nigerian mother of three
andymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2016, 23:26   #3
Ravinder
This is my second home

Rover 75 saloon x2, Rover 75 Tourer x2, Rover 220 Coupe Turbo

Thanked 2,852 Times in 1,718 Posts

how does this compare to the 2.5 V6?
Ravinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2016, 07:52   #4
StewartIngram
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connoisseur 2.5 V6 auto

One argument often put forward for not converting is the (non)availability of lpg in your area, and/or the price at the local petrol stations.
Do take note that with lpg you have far more choice that garage forecourt pumps. The main names I think of are Calor, Autogas, Flogas; do a Google for suppliers. You will find outlets at many distributors, or caravan dealers, at prices below forecourt suppliers, and where there are no forecourt pumps in the area.

Stewart
StewartIngram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2016, 08:22   #5
buckyhill
Loves to post

mg ztt and mg rv8 and mgtf

My v6 runs on LPG which is getting locally hard to find. A couple of garages have removed the LPG option when they have had a refit. I find that the cheapest is at a colour gas supplier in Bow on the Blackwall tunnel approach road. And them figures quoted are about the same as my findings.
buckyhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2016, 15:19   #6
MDMH757
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

A useful app on google playstore is FILLLPG...... gives fuel stations around your local area.... site details/prices are updated by registered members....

For comparison, I have a ZTT 1.8T converted to LPG with the Prinz Silverline system (Excellent), The car does appear to run smoother on LPG.

I am lucky to work for an Environmental company who offer a 2yr interest free loan as a employee incentive!!!.. I get around a 73 litre tank in spare wheel well, I get around 255 miles on a tank (50 litres useable - due to expansion), I am averaging around 25.5 mpg (mainly town driving etc), have had 27.5mpg (when did a bit more motorway driving).... had it since about March,
Generally pay less than 50p litre although have paid as little as 45p a litre.
MDMH757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2016, 18:45   #7
andymc
Posted a thing or two

Wedgewood Connie SE / Black Club SE

Drove past the nearest filling station to me that supplies LPG, they're advertising it at 63.9ppl. That's Calor, I'll try to keep an eye out for any others along my usual routes.
A Nigerian mother of three
andymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2016, 20:56   #8
Astraeus

Default Asda

Asda seems to be the cheapest in my experience but shell stations tend to match that if near.

Price and availability are a consideration of course. Although I have never had a problem finding it even when on holiday. Even at 63 p a litre it is significantly cheaper than petrol/diesel.

Re 2.5 against the 2.0 V6 common opinion seems to be that there is not much difference in consumption but as I don't have a 2.5 I cannot say with certainty.

Interesting what was said about smoothness. My V6 is without doubt smoother with LPG than petrol but of course I have adjusted the spark plugs for LPG use so perhaps not ideal for petrol.

Chris
Old 13th June 2016, 20:58   #9
Astraeus

Default Bear in mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymc View Post
Drove past the nearest filling station to me that supplies LPG, they're advertising it at 63.9ppl. That's Calor, I'll try to keep an eye out for any others along my usual routes.
Remember to compare like with like. What is the cost of diesel/petrol there? If £1.08/1.10 then 63p is still just over half the cost.

Chris
Old 14th June 2016, 08:24   #10
MDMH757
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

I go to morrisons mainly as is the nearest.... usually around 47.9 to 49.7p a litre... also if you got the match and more card.. I get around 400 points when I fill up for around £20.. and when you collect 5000 points you can exchange for a £5 voucher.... so saving even more

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
MDMH757 is offline   Reply With Quote