Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 13th December 2015, 13:37   #1
ninaandphil
Avid contributor

MG ZT CDTi

Default Brake lights / side lights, more woes..

Hi... thought I would give this a bump as a new thread, apologies if I'm being naughty!

My brake lights are on permanently, as soon as the ignition is turned to position 2.... I have checked every fuse twice, I have replaced the brake light switch, I have tried shorting the new brake light switch with foil, nothing seems to make the lights go out.

In addition, with the headlight switch set to sidelights, I notice that the MG7 nearside tail light, and the corresponding front sidelight (LED) are much dimmer then the drivers side ones, plus, the brake light on the nearside rear is on, this is without the ignition on. Also, I notice that the screen of my DIN / Sat Nav is not a constant brightness, and is fluctuating.

I am unable to find any damp / water ingress, I've checked the BCU, and the boot... I am lost! Could it be the light control module, am I overlooking something really simple? I'm hoping one of the electrical wizzes can point me in the right direction....

Thanks & regards Phil
ninaandphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2015, 13:43   #2
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Thanked 4,247 Times in 3,025 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninaandphil View Post
Hi... thought I would give this a bump as a new thread, apologies if I'm being naughty!

My brake lights are on permanently, as soon as the ignition is turned to position 2.... I have checked every fuse twice, I have replaced the brake light switch, I have tried shorting the new brake light switch with foil, nothing seems to make the lights go out.

In addition, with the headlight switch set to sidelights, I notice that the MG7 nearside tail light, and the corresponding front sidelight (LED) are much dimmer then the drivers side ones, plus, the brake light on the nearside rear is on, this is without the ignition on. Also, I notice that the screen of my DIN / Sat Nav is not a constant brightness, and is fluctuating.

I am unable to find any damp / water ingress, I've checked the BCU, and the boot... I am lost! Could it be the light control module, am I overlooking something really simple? I'm hoping one of the electrical wizzes can point me in the right direction....

Thanks & regards Phil

sounds very much to me like you have one of the following 3-4 issues...

Bad earth (ground connection)
short circuit on the lighting loom
Water in the loom or header connector(s)
a failing LSM (light switch module....

I would begin by popping the lsm out and undoing / redoing the connector plug while checking dor damp ./ corrosion

then check the rear light clusters for bad connections / damp or dodgy wiring

then the same for the front lights and wiring, especially over the engine members and inner wings / near the PS pump pulley and belts
Old 13th December 2015, 14:53   #3
David Lawrence
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT-2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninaandphil View Post

Thanks & regards Phil
I had funny things happen with my lights when my FBH K bus wire was brushing against something. Check if you have a fuel burning heater, and if you do, disconnect it, the 2 pin plug first then the 6 pin.

If you dont have one the. Check in the battery compartment where you should finds its loom coiled up, and check if it is clean and dry.
David Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2015, 15:26   #4
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Have you got access to a different lsm, if so swap it and see if that cures the issue.
Old 13th December 2015, 15:46   #5
ninaandphil
Avid contributor

MG ZT CDTi

Have been checking cables etc, with no joy... checked all the connectors on the tail lights as well, so am going to buy a LSM of Ebay and see what Happens when I change it over... there is no corrosion on the pins of my current one, still has to be worth a go... thanks as always for the suggestions.. :-)
ninaandphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2015, 16:32   #6
Ched
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT V8, MGZT 135 derv ,MG TF 135

Put the original lamps back in to eliminate the mg7 lamps as the cause and swapping the lsm over will require a T4 session unless you then put the original back .
Ched is offline   Reply With Quote