Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 11th May 2015, 09:56   #1
Stag>75
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon 2.5

Default Why wouldn't my car start?

First time this has happened to me. R75 2.5 KV6. Drop about 8 km without issues and parked the car. The road was at quite an angle to the kerb so the car was on a tilt to the left. I came back to it about 1/2 hr later and it turned over fine but would not fire. I tried a few times but to no avail. I lifted the bonnet to determine if there was anything obvious but didn't have any tools with me. I wasn't able to tell if it was fuel or spark related. After leaving it for about 5 minutes it started fine.

My concern is that it might happen again in a less convenient place. Any likely candidates?
Stag>75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2015, 10:27   #2
Dorset Bob
Senior Citizen

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur SE,Chrysler 300C,124 Spider, Daytona 955i,Honda XL250 & Royal Enfield 650GT

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,686 Posts

If it happens again, my money would be on the camshaft sensor.
I had this with mine, fine when starting from cold but didn't like warm start ups.

Let the good times roll............

Dorset Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2015, 10:46   #3
cunny44

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stag>75 View Post
First time this has happened to me. R75 2.5 KV6. Drop about 8 km without issues and parked the car. The road was at quite an angle to the kerb so the car was on a tilt to the left. I came back to it about 1/2 hr later and it turned over fine but would not fire. I tried a few times but to no avail. I lifted the bonnet to determine if there was anything obvious but didn't have any tools with me. I wasn't able to tell if it was fuel or spark related. After leaving it for about 5 minutes it started fine.

My concern is that it might happen again in a less convenient place. Any likely candidates?
I've just had the same happen to me on my diesel - see my thread just put up - the RAC reckon it is the in tank fuel pump - so I'm wondering if it is an easy fix.
cunny44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2015, 11:59   #4
t5tart
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT cdti

was the fuel low ? could have just been not hitting the pickup
I had this with a Volvo of mine moved it off the drive fine only 20 feet then it wouldnt start.. the fuel was low stuck a gallon or 2 in it and it started fine

check your sunroof drains and plenum drains http://www.buddy-icons.info/img/smile/1609.gif

t5tart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2015, 12:09   #5
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorset Bob View Post
If it happens again, my money would be on the camshaft sensor.
I had this with mine, fine when starting from cold but didn't like warm start ups.
Listen to Bob. You can test the theory by make sure there's plenty of fuel in the tank (well above a quarter full) warm the car up to temperature and stop. Leave it a minute and then try and start it. If it starts turn off straight away and try again. The problem with the camshaft sensor is that without it working correctly the starting will be erratic with a warmed up engine. If it's a fueling issue then it's quite different to the diesel (cunny44 is referring to a diesel which has a different pumping arrangement).

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2015, 12:20   #6
Stag>75
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon 2.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avulon View Post
Listen to Bob. You can test the theory by make sure there's plenty of fuel in the tank (well above a quarter full) warm the car up to temperature and stop. Leave it a minute and then try and start it. If it starts turn off straight away and try again. The problem with the camshaft sensor is that without it working correctly the starting will be erratic with a warmed up engine. If it's a fueling issue then it's quite different to the diesel (cunny44 is referring to a diesel which has a different pumping arrangement).
Plenty of fuel in the tank and it drove fine after it started. From reading other threads on the sensor I'm wondering if the angle it was parked perhaps flooded the sensor with oil and whether that may have been the cause.
Old 11th May 2015, 12:32   #7
MangoMan
This is my second home

Looking....

Thanked 1,111 Times in 868 Posts

I would go with Bob here - definitely sounds like the Cam Sensor on the way out... Mine played up when I first got the car, replaced it and it's been fine since.

Old 20th May 2015, 22:16   #8
Stag>75
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon 2.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stag>75 View Post
Plenty of fuel in the tank and it drove fine after it started. From reading other threads on the sensor I'm wondering if the angle it was parked perhaps flooded the sensor with oil and whether that may have been the cause.
So to finish to story I made plans to get a new sensor and on the day I had to get it the car wouldn't start any time it was warm ....

New sensor in and everything is now fine.

Thanks everyone.
Old 22nd May 2015, 12:34   #9
Dorset Bob
Senior Citizen

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur SE,Chrysler 300C,124 Spider, Daytona 955i,Honda XL250 & Royal Enfield 650GT

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,686 Posts

I am glad that you got it sorted.

Let the good times roll............

Dorset Bob is offline   Reply With Quote