Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Touring Boating Camping & Caravan Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 19th April 2012, 18:47   #1
Canonite
This is my second home

BMW 330d Tourer, MG ZT 180 SE XPG, VW Polo 6R 1.2 TDI Bluemotion

Default Roof Boxes

Been looking at increasing the load carrying capacity due to recently acquiring a rather large special needs rehabilitation pushchair. This is much larger than our old one and doesn't fold down too well, making it swallow up pretty much all of the boot space.
With selling either car at the minute not being an option we decided to look at roof boxes and agreed it would be a decent solution. As most of our holidays are in the UK we do tend to lug all our stuff around with us so think a roof box could be just the thing for us.

I'm just concerned about it blowing off the roof or becoming unlocked and having to retrieve my mucky socks and underpants from the dual carriageway. Are they good to have? I can think of a load of reasons to have one and a couple for not having one.
Was looking at the prices of the Rover ones in the accessories brochure which were nearly £300. Thought thaty was expensive until I visited Halfords and saw the prices of theirs.
Canonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2012, 19:58   #2
Nobby09
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Connie SE Tourer Auto

Thumbs up

Hi Alan,

Check out www.roofbox.co.uk, or www.roofracks.co.uk, I personally used the former and found them to be good value, hope this is a help.

I have used my roofbox for a couple of years now, and when attached properly, is very dry and secure, carrying loads all round Europe with no problems.

regards

Garry

Last edited by Nobby09; 19th April 2012 at 20:08..
Nobby09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2012, 20:01   #3
windrush
This is my second home

December 2004 Rover 75 2ltr CDTi Connoisseur SE HL Tourer

Thanked 3,015 Times in 2,347 Posts
Thumbs up

Yes Alan I brought from the Roof Box Co and got very good service and advice
Club Member No. 96 / Forum User No. 111
REGISTRATION to the club as a member FREE, FULL MEMBERSHIP is £10

WE WILL REMEMBER THEM
windrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2012, 20:12   #4
Canonite
This is my second home

Thanks chaps. I'll take a look. Be nice to get a proper Rover one. Who made them?
Old 20th April 2012, 07:02   #5
Roverowner
Retired

CDTi Tourer 2005

I bought 2 Rover ones from LES (SMC). They are a bit flimsy compared to the Thule on from the 90s that we also have. They were still in their boxes behind his place and it was a right old rigmerol to get both on the roof. Mainley because we were in the Pre-production saloon and it doesn´t have any -bung- holes in the roof strips. Got the strips off and LES gave me a bolt so that I could clean the threads out, yes they were there. After what seemed half a day, with the wife and 1 year old Brian -loving- the countryside, managed to get both of the mounted, sid-by-side. Of course had to rotate one of them so the lock faced outwards. Anyway, we ended up going back to Sweden with the car aswell and the boxes we full of stuff (been to Corins) These boxes have 3 fixing points along the edge where you shut it up. If you get one make sure that all these are home otherwise it could be a problem. With them properly closed an locked they are as stable as any other. We drove to Harwich from Bournmouth and then from Esberg in Denmark to Linköping in Sweden without a hitch. We didn´t go all that slow

After getting home I got them off and checked them thoroughly. No damage and no stress points in the plastic. They have a nice -quick release mechanism to get them off without much hassle. So if you can get one..... do. I´ve sold one to a Swede for 75 pounds which I thought was fair as it had only been used once. LES sold these 2 for 40 quid each because of -space- problems. I could get the manufacturer if you like as it says on the inside of the lid.....
Roverowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2012, 08:37   #6
jimn
Avid contributor

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

I've got a Thule roof-box (actually bought from Halfords a good ten years ago) and, as long as all the fixings are tightened up correctly, I've never had any concerns about it opening or flying off. This one has locks on both sides so you can open it from either side which is very useful.

(I've just noticed that the roof-box looks tiny in this picture but I think that's more down to the size of the 75 )

Now I just need to find some roof-bars that don't whistle when the roof-box is not on the car. The current ones were from Lidl!
Replace broken window switches, fit warning triangle, remove mobile phone aerial & wiring, replace boot cover (now includes 'dog' net), new clutch (122,740 miles), Jules' plenum guard, replace Harmony, new Bosch MAF (129,597 miles)

To Do
Fog lights (bought, to be fitted), aux power (bought, to be fitted)
jimn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2012, 09:05   #7
Tim
Feel the size of my Quads

MG ZT 440SE, MG HS PHEV & MG3

I've got the same and its a great load carrier. Think your box could go back 150mm Jim. My bars don't whistle and they look to be the same as yours, oval Thules.

Last edited by Tim; 20th April 2012 at 09:08.. Reason: added a picture
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2012, 09:11   #8
guru
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT, Rover Sterling, MG ZS EV & BMW X5

We used ours for a 2 week camping tour last year

If fitted properly they're very secure and to be honest when driving I just forgot it was there. As long as you're tall then getting stuff in and out is easy however my wife (5'3") did struggle a bit, so after a while I got up and gave her a hand
Old 20th April 2012, 11:17   #9
Canonite
This is my second home

Thanks for all the advice guys.
I am now the proud new owner of one of these, a Rover one, unpainted.
Old 20th April 2012, 14:42   #10
Tim
Feel the size of my Quads

MG ZT 440SE, MG HS PHEV & MG3

Nice one. Would look good the same colour.
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote