Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 1st May 2012, 09:32   #1
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts
Default Tax refunds

I am certainly currently due a tax refund, so in readiness to make my claim, I did a bit of internet research and found they would send you a claim form, which I requested from what I thought was a department of HMRC.

The forms turned up in the post a few months ago and yesterday I finally got around to filling them in. This morning with the forms ready to send off, I read the cover letter which mentions they charge 17% of the rebate, reading a bit more it is a company offering a service for a fee rather than my making a direct claim for a refund from HMRC.

All looked very government official, until I spotted the 17% fee. Along the top of the forms it said 'The Entitlements Agency' and very official looking.

Rather than pay such companies 17% of any refund you might be entitled to you can get 100% of your refund, simply by contacting HMRC directly with a phone call. You could ring 0845 300 0627, which is their official number for such enquiries, but many of us are are free calls to normal STD numbers - the way around paying for the call is to dial 141 (to hide your number) then 01355 359022, which is their number for incoming calls from abroad. They will not like your using the number, because get get a kick back from the 0845 number use, but they will deal with your enquiry.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.

Last edited by HarryM1BYT; 1st May 2012 at 10:29..
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2012, 09:40   #2
Zeb
Banned

MGZT V8 & ZTT 190+LPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
I am certainly currently due a tax refund, so in readiness to make my claim, I did a bit of internet research and found they would send you a claim form, which I requested from what I thought was a department of HMRC.

The forms turned up in the post a few months ago and yesterday I finally got around to filling them in. This morning with the forms ready to send off, I read the cover letter which mentions they charge 17% of the rebate, reading a bit more it is a company offering a service for a fee rather than my making a direct claim for a refund from HMRC.

All looked very government official, until I spotted the 17% fee. Along the top of the forms it say 'The Entitlements Agency'

Rather than pay such companies 17% of any refund you might be entitled to you can get 100% of your refund, simply by contacting HMRC directly.

As I understand it, it is illegal for any company or organisation to misrepresent itself in such a manner....if you don't mind I'd be interested in following this up...

EDIT: Hmmm....semi-legal by the looks of it...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7785813.stm

Last edited by Zeb; 1st May 2012 at 09:45..
Zeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2012, 09:40   #3
mh007
This is my second home

MG ZT260 SE, MG ZT190+, MG ZTT 160, R75 Conn SE 2.0, R75 Conn SE 2.5 X 3, R75 Club SE 1.8, P5B Coupe

Very crafty, these d**n companies should be stopped in their tracks !
mh007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2012, 11:05   #4
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh007 View Post
Very crafty, these d**n companies should be stopped in their tracks !
I could not agree more. 17% of what I am likely to be claiming back, will be quite a tidy sum for doing not very much.

I originally did a Google for Tax refund and there they were at the top of the list offerening to send a tax refund form off to you. As said I got as far as filling the form in and ready for posting it back before spotting the 17%, the rest of the form looked very official.

Ten minutes on the phone to HMRC and my claim for a refund is under way and no percentage taken off the top.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2012, 12:20   #5
KEN BATTY
Avid contributor

75 contemporay

Exclamation Sites to beware

Another one to watch is the E1-11 Health Card they too are free but if you go onto the wrong website you end up paying for it I applied and got mine free, later my son asked me to get his and i inadvertently pulled up the wrong site i only realised summat was not right having recently got mine.
BEWARE
KEN BATTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2012, 14:59   #6
lady zed
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon

Thanked 1,210 Times in 716 Posts

Just like these companies who phone you and tell you they;re authorised by the ministry of justice to claim back any PPI you may be owed. You'd actually believe they're a government agency.............the cads!
Old 3rd May 2012, 15:37   #7
SapperGB
Posted a thing or two

2005 190 ZT-T SE

And those "calling on behalf of Sky TV" to sell you equipment insurance but are actually a private company.

think the last one i got was 79 quid, whereas a refurbished box from sky is only £49 - oh and they say the cover your dish but actually dont. (not that its likely to break anyway.
SapperGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2012, 15:43   #8
lady zed
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon

Thanked 1,210 Times in 716 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SapperGB View Post
And those "calling on behalf of Sky TV" to sell you equipment insurance but are actually a private company.

think the last one i got was 79 quid, whereas a refurbished box from sky is only £49 - oh and they say the cover your dish but actually dont. (not that its likely to break anyway.

Oh and microsoft now call you from Asia to tell you there's something wrong with your computer..............
Old 3rd May 2012, 16:12   #9
DerekS
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

Agree about the health card. I went to the official looking site and saw they wanted £14 funny I thought, the last time it was free .
All very official looking too.
Think Ill set up a site called 'The 75andZTowners club' and charge for admission.
DerekS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2012, 18:43   #10
Bolin
This is my second home

Rover 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE 4dr manual Wedgewood Blue 2 04-05/06/2001

Interesting. I am sadly due a refund but will look at filling out an R40 form like I did several years ago and posting it.

Strangly HMRC have recently decided that for a couple of recent tax years I somehow paid too much for one and too little for the other, both via PAYE?? So they sent me a cheque for £12. Very odd.
Bolin is offline   Reply With Quote