Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > V8 Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 4th September 2012, 07:22   #31
tomcat22
Avid contributor

some MG-Rovers

Isnt there any possibility to sell it abroad?

In Germany you can buy back cars from insurances not matter how bad hey are damaged
tomcat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2012, 08:33   #32
Dominic22
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 V8 Plus Others

Yes, but there is the problem that a buyer needs a dismantling licence to get it.

I am waiting for LV to get back to me. It is being reviewed. I have actually requested that they "gift" it across to a group to conserve and keep. I have also got some PR set-up with Birmingham Papers if it comes off so it should help LV. I will chase up tomorrow as if this does not work I need a few days to go for other options as we have until the 15th to sort.
Dominic22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2012, 16:07   #33
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quite frankly if he had insisted he would have been able to retain the salvage himself.
It is however at the end of the day merely another old car to an insurer, they won't change their minds over classification, and it won't be returning to the roads ever.
What should have been done in hindsight is to have not made the claim in the first instance, the car at all times belongs to the owner, until he or she accepts an offer from an insurer.
At this point the insurer as the new owner can do with the car whatsoever they wish, and in this case they have decided it is going to be broken for spares, sad but no amount of huffing and puffing is going to change their minds.
Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2012, 21:02   #34
rover54
Retired

rover 75 v6 Auto Conn. SE 54 plate LPG and 2006 Rover 75 v6 Auto LPG , 1.8 r75 Manual

Has the current owner started to strip it or is it mothballed for the moment pending representation to the insurance Co that cat B'd this car.
rover54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2012, 18:36   #35
hotrodinstraycat
Loves to post

2003 X-Powewr Grey MG ZT190

Default v8

My heart bleeds...not much else i can say
hotrodinstraycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2012, 15:02   #36
Dominic22
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 V8 Plus Others

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
Quite frankly if he had insisted he would have been able to retain the salvage himself.
It is however at the end of the day merely another old car to an insurer, they won't change their minds over classification, and it won't be returning to the roads ever.
What should have been done in hindsight is to have not made the claim in the first instance, the car at all times belongs to the owner, until he or she accepts an offer from an insurer.
At this point the insurer as the new owner can do with the car whatsoever they wish, and in this case they have decided it is going to be broken for spares, sad but no amount of huffing and puffing is going to change their minds.
Brian
Glad to say Brian you are wrong. Will update later but no-longer a cat B

Last edited by Dominic22; 6th September 2012 at 15:14..
Old 6th September 2012, 15:40   #37
bigcar
Loves to post

Sep 2003 Rover 75 Club SE, 105000 Miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic22 View Post
As some might recall Phil had his Rover 75 V8 wrote off after going through a rather large puddle. Well I traced the ****** think for ages with Phil's help and after all the work it has appeared at a salvage resellers in Ireland http://www.ppp-group.co.uk/Catalog/19151892X.html (awful website by the way)

I emailed them and called in reference to it and have been advised it has been classed as a Cat B i.e cannot be put back on the road. I will keep an eye on it to see what is it's final fate but it looks like it will be broken up in Ireland. Seems a terrible shame as, it could be rescued but it is not be be. They worry about the electrics, the engine had suspected hydrolock but we are not sure and had a feeling it could be sorted. Even if not a new engine & auto box and complete front stuff up is available for less than £1000.

This car was a development 75V8 as it went down the line as a ZT260 and was then taken & turned into a 75 V8. So it does have a bit of history to it also.

Photos in it's better days
You say this happened because your friend went through a very large puddle. Well my buddy did the same with his BMW and went through a big puddle and water was sucked up through the air intake which I believe is at the front of the car, to the right and very low down? His car was also wrote-off. This has made my rather worried because I haven’t a clue where the air-intake is for my 2003 Rover 75 se 1.8ltr petrol, can you tell me is it the same setup as the BMWs? I must have just been lucky, because I have gone through some rather large puddles in the last few months here in Glasgow. Now when I say I must have been lucky, that’s not quit true, I have just had HGF and the garage is having problems getting things right again, I’m keeping my fingers crossed, everything will be OK. Anyway back to my query, where is the 75s air-intake?
Old 6th September 2012, 15:57   #38
MrDoodles
Banned

MG ZT+ V6 190

Thanked 1,196 Times in 818 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
Brian
Have to say that they were my thoughts as well, but I didn't post that in case the owner was on the forum.
MrDoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2012, 16:00   #39
Dominic22
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 V8 Plus Others

The huffing & Puffing as Brian puts it has now taken the death sentence of it. I am waiting for the report but it is no longer a Cat B and is a cat D

Last edited by Dominic22; 6th September 2012 at 16:08..
Old 6th September 2012, 16:03   #40
MrDoodles
Banned

MG ZT+ V6 190

Thanked 1,196 Times in 818 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic22 View Post
The huffing & Puffing as Brian puts it has now taken the death sentence of it. I am waiting the report but it is no longer a Cat B and is a cat D
Fantastic news!
MrDoodles is offline   Reply With Quote