Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 4th February 2018, 10:36   #11
elefsis
Avid contributor

Rover 75 CDTi Club SE Saloon

Dear Gatekeeper,

I have never dealt with Radioguy at all. My first visit to Jeff was to install a Chinese wince DD I had purchased from Chinavision. It worked all the way home but the following morning on attempting to play a CD the CD just jammed and I could not get it out, so I drove up to Heathrow and called into the London office of Chinavision and returned the unit, They refunded my money.

I then spoke to Jeff, once again and he said he had a wince unit with walnut trim already on so I went up to Clacton and he very kindly fitted it and also a rear camera for reversing. ON the way back home and testing the Navi system I noticed that I could not hear my music at the same time. He told me what settings I needed to alter and this worked, but I have since forgotten how to do it and any case now I cannot operate the touchscreen.

I have scoured the Internet for possible solutions to this seemingly very common occurrence but to no avail.
Old 4th February 2018, 18:28   #12
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by elefsis View Post
Dear Gatekeeper,

I have never dealt with Radioguy at all. My first visit to Jeff was to install a Chinese wince DD I had purchased from Chinavision. It worked all the way home but the following morning on attempting to play a CD the CD just jammed and I could not get it out, so I drove up to Heathrow and called into the London office of Chinavision and returned the unit, They refunded my money.

I then spoke to Jeff, once again and he said he had a wince unit with walnut trim already on so I went up to Clacton and he very kindly fitted it and also a rear camera for reversing. ON the way back home and testing the Navi system I noticed that I could not hear my music at the same time. He told me what settings I needed to alter and this worked, but I have since forgotten how to do it and any case now I cannot operate the touchscreen.

I have scoured the Internet for possible solutions to this seemingly very common occurrence but to no avail.
If I may suggest, your next step is to send Jeff a private message and take it from there. Is that ok with you Jeff? I know your out of the business but your knowledge is the penultimate and your the best to know what’s what

Last edited by Gate Keeper; 4th February 2018 at 19:06..
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2018, 19:05   #13
coolcat
This is my second home

Audi Q3 TDI S-Line Quattro

Thanked 12,235 Times in 8,232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by elefsis View Post
Good morning Jeff. After 12 hours with the battery disconnected there is no change at all from that, so I tried the reset button with a modified paperclip and that just switches the unit off and again not working on starting the unit up again.

The mode buttons work switching between radio, Aux and SD card but will not accept any of my fingers touching the screen.

I have also with the battery off noticed that I cannot play my SD card with the Igo8 Navi open. You did tell me how to do that before but of course I now cannot get into things like Settings.

Any further ideas that might unfreeze the touchscreen.

John
Hi John,

It does as Phil posted sound very much like the touch membrane is faulty and would need replacing.
Sean does have another chap doing repairs now so maybe if you can PM me your email I'll forward it on for you so they can get in touch.

Cheers,

Jeff.
Old 5th February 2018, 09:01   #14
elefsis
Avid contributor

Rover 75 CDTi Club SE Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat View Post
Hi John,

It does as Phil posted sound very much like the touch membrane is faulty and would need replacing.
Sean does have another chap doing repairs now so maybe if you can PM me your email I'll forward it on for you so they can get in touch.

Cheers,

Jeff.
pm sent, Jeff and Thanks.

John
Old 7th February 2018, 20:57   #15
mystabe
Posted a thing or two

Mazda 6

Serious advice? remove unit from car, open bin, drop unit in and just walk away.

If you do find someone who can fix/source screens for 10 year old Chinese DDin things though there are quite a few of us who would like his number. Sadly I won't hold my breath.
mystabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2018, 09:29   #16
jordimussol
Avid contributor

2005 MG ZT & 1996 MGF

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystabe View Post
Serious advice? remove unit from car, open bin, drop unit in and just walk away.

If you do find someone who can fix/source screens for 10 year old Chinese DDin things though there are quite a few of us who would like his number. Sadly I won't hold my breath.
What he says...

Bin it and get another one. They are rather easy to install, ISO connectors make it easy enough. Get an Android one.
jordimussol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2018, 10:46   #17
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Quote:

Oh the skills are out there. Before I had a Rover 75, I had media units from Kenwood and Sony, fitted in the other cars, not that expensive and the guys who did the fitting also installed extra security like immobilizers, trackers, sat nav - fairly standard and based in Walthamstow, been there for years. But even spending £300-£400 on a media centre, your advice for folks to throw them away when the unit stops working is not uncommon.

When I had the touch screen membrane pack up on my video camera, the replacement including the new screen and labour was £40. Considerably cheaper than throwing it into the bin and buying a new one. But that’s Kenya for you, where we are much closer to life and death, and we don’t live in a ‘throw away society’....

Last edited by Gate Keeper; 8th February 2018 at 10:48..
Old 14th February 2018, 07:11   #18
coolcat
This is my second home

Audi Q3 TDI S-Line Quattro

Thanked 12,235 Times in 8,232 Posts

Hi John,

I have sent you a PM reference Sunday Sir
Old 14th February 2018, 11:23   #19
mystabe
Posted a thing or two

Mazda 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate Keeper View Post
Oh the skills are out there. Before I had a Rover 75, I had media units from Kenwood and Sony, fitted in the other cars, not that expensive and the guys who did the fitting also installed extra security like immobilizers, trackers, sat nav - fairly standard and based in Walthamstow, been there for years. But even spending £300-£400 on a media centre, your advice for folks to throw them away when the unit stops working is not uncommon.

When I had the touch screen membrane pack up on my video camera, the replacement including the new screen and labour was £40. Considerably cheaper than throwing it into the bin and buying a new one. But that’s Kenya for you, where we are much closer to life and death, and we don’t live in a ‘throw away society’....
I'm sure the skills are out there, it's the replacement parts that aren't with these, Kenwood, Sony etc is a whole different kettle of fish. My bin suggestion was based on experience rather than wanting to encourage people just to throw broken things away.

As it happens I haven't followed my own advice and I still have two Navalls in my filing cabinet at work waiting for the day someone pops up and says they know who can fix/replace the screens (I'm not holding my breath obviously ) because I just can't bring myself to take them to the tip when they cost me around £800
mystabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2018, 07:02   #20
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Quote:
I'm sure the skills are out there, it's the replacement parts that aren't with these, Kenwood, Sony etc is a whole different kettle of fish. My bin suggestion was based on experience rather than wanting to encourage people just to throw broken things away.

As it happens I haven't followed my own advice and I still have two Navalls in my filing cabinet at work waiting for the day someone pops up and says they know who can fix/replace the screens (I'm not holding my breath obviously ) because I just can't bring myself to take them to the tip when they cost me around £800
I can empathise with what you are saying and I am wondering if someone in your region, who understands these things can do the installation. When I am next in the UK I must make time to see Jeff, as I have acceleration whine on the Wince.
Even though Jeff is no longer an installer, he said he will help his good mates out who are in a jam. The ones who ran him down and drove him off the forum have no chance, a viewpoint I support