Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 12th November 2006, 09:32   #1
driverjgp
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Club 2.5 V6 Auto

Question Bike rack

Morning all,

Just wondered, we was thinking of getting my daughter a bike for Xmas but my rear seats don't fold down to get it home (odd in this day and age) so can you get a rear mounted bike rack to fit on the 75? I don't have a tow bar fitted.

Jason Player
Woodbridge,
Suffolk

Money can't buy happiness. But it sure makes misery easier to live with.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Rover 75 Club Auto K-Series 2.5 Litre Quad Cam 24 Valve in Steel Blue December 2000 Cowley build.
driverjgp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2006, 09:43   #2
Mike
This is my second home

Rover 75 V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by driverjgp View Post
Morning all,

Just wondered, we was thinking of getting my daughter a bike for Xmas but my rear seats don't fold down to get it home (odd in this day and age) so can you get a rear mounted bike rack to fit on the 75? I don't have a tow bar fitted.
I haver used a Halfords rack that sits on the boot/bumper.

hth

Mike
Old 12th November 2006, 09:49   #3
driverjgp
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
I haver used a Halfords rack that sits on the boot/bumper.

hth

Mike
Hi Mike, does it put to much pressure on parts it is not meant to put pressure on?

It just I seen these sort on things on other people cars and it looks if the car was in pain with the weight on the plasic bumpers etc....

Jason Player
Woodbridge,
Suffolk

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Rover 75 Club Auto K-Series 2.5 Litre Quad Cam 24 Valve in Steel Blue December 2000 Cowley build.
Old 12th November 2006, 09:54   #4
Mike
This is my second home

Rover 75 V8

Quote:
Hi Mike, does it put to much pressure on parts it is not meant to put pressure on?

It just I seen these sort on things on other people cars and it looks if the car was in pain with the weight on the plastic bumpers etc....
No problem with the bumper at all but I was a little concerned that it might dint the boot. A better solution is to buy the OEM roof bars (come up all the time on ebay) and fit a bike rack. The bars are Thule so you won't have a problem getting a good bike rack.

MGR did an optional hydraulic 'lift' bike rack to go on the bars and They to come up on ebay, or rimmers might have them. Perfect solution.
Old 12th November 2006, 09:59   #5
driverjgp
Gets stuck in

Quote:
No problem with the bumper at all but I was a little concerned that it might dint the boot. A better solution is to buy the OEM roof bars (come up all the time on ebay) and fit a bike rack. The bars are Thule so you won't have a problem getting a good bike rack.

MGR did an optional hydraulic 'lift' bike rack to go on the bars and They to come up on ebay, or rimmers might have them. Perfect solution.
Thank you Mike sounds like a plan, the roof bars sounds like a better idea, when i get time I'll look on ebay, any idea what you would pay for them at xpart?

Jason Player
Woodbridge,
Suffolk

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Old 12th November 2006, 10:02   #6
Mike
This is my second home

Rover 75 V8

Quote:
Thank you Mike sounds like a plan, the roof bars sounds like a better idea, when i get time I'll look on ebay, any idea what you would pay for them at xpart?
New, if available you are looking at £130 for the bars.

Grab this bit while you can:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rover-75-MG-ZT...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 12th November 2006, 10:22   #7
driverjgp
Gets stuck in

Quote:
New, if available you are looking at £130 for the bars.

Grab this bit while you can:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rover-75-MG-ZT...QQcmdZViewItem
Thanks

Jason Player
Woodbridge,
Suffolk

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Old 12th November 2006, 20:59   #8
baxlin
This is my second home

Volvo C70 Convertible and JZR 3 wheeler

I have used the standard type of bike rack, that sits on the bootlid and bumper, and however careful I have been, and however tight I have it, it has always damaged the paintwork, as it inevitably moves slightly. Not too bad on the solid colour Carlton I had, where I could T-Cut the scratches out, but not good on metallic.

My favourite is a Harry Moss one that fits literally in seconds onto the Tow Bar ball, using a scissor action which locks on, and allows the boot to open. Cost just under 30 quid from the local Motorists Centre. Unfortunately very expensive if you haven't got a towbar, however. You also have to have a trailer board as the bikes obscure the number plate & lights.
baxlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2006, 16:36   #9
Neil Coupland
Gets stuck in

Range Rover Sport, MG TF 160 Aubergine

The hydraulic bike lift makes fitting bikes onto the roof a cinch. I got a couple off ebay last year at about £50 each, primarily to use on our Zafira (the only alternative was to carry step ladders around just to reach the roof!) I think that the original price was over £150 apiece.

The are designed to bolt straight onto the MG Rover roof bars, but can be modified to fit the set of Thule bars that I use.
Neil Coupland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2006, 20:38   #10
Simon
Banned

-

Quote:
Morning all,

What age of car do you have? Coz someone made a discovery that ALL 75's/ZT's have folding rear seats. You just got to know where to look

Most cars have two oval buttons just either side of the rear head restraints and the C-pillars. Press one of these down fully and the entire seat back will tip forward.

If you do not have these buttons, you need to find the "other way in". Sorry, but I can't remember the original person who made this discovery but basically you need to dig around inbetween where the vertical and horizontal seat cusions meet. Hopefully you will find two tabs, one on either side of the car. You may find them from the boot side rather than the interior side. Give these two tabs a good firm pull and the seat will tip forward too.

Hope this helps!
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote