Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 19th June 2009, 20:04   #1
TheBishop

75 Tourer CDT Auto. In Gorgeous GOLD!

Question CDT Autos- Caravan Towing Advice, Please.

I've found lots of threads praising the towing capabilities of the Diesel Automatics- one in particular quoted "Using 'D' all the time, never needing to use the manual change options..."

I've read that these Jatco Autoboxes ( (I assume my 114ps 'Tourer' 'box is the same as the CDT/CDTi Saloons?) 'know' when they're towing, and adjust themselves accordingly! I just hate not knowing HOW!! And I imagine there to be a few other Caravanners in the Club who may be interested too.

As I'm planning to do my first tow soon, have just had my automatic fluid changed, and am planning my first towing practice for the next few days, (Yes, I KNOW I need my cooling fan sorted for towing if the 'Summer' continues!

I'm getting my questions in before breaking anything.

I'd be really interested to discover if anyone can offer some more detail on:

1. How 'They' know they're towing? ('Their' recognising an abnormal prolonged drag has been suggested;

2. How do they 'Adjust themselves,' i.e. what do they actually do to e.g. gearchange speeds/revs, engine braking, temporary engine 'remapping' (for more power/torque?) Torque Converter changes or what?

3. Might there be any advantage/disadvantage/risks in using "Sport Mode' instead of 'D' for normal towing?

4. I'm guessing that 'Snow Mode' should be avoided like the plague (or even like Swine Flu!) because even I can see that Clutch friction material/Band slip would be increased when pulling off in second- as well as adding unwanted heat to the Torque Converter!

5. As I'm saving up for a 'RonBox' can anyone comment on:

a) The difference the extra power makes to towing? (A Bailey Pageant, or equivalent particularly?)
b) Any risk of overstessing parts (especially the AutoBox,) when towing with Ron's Max Thrust selected!!???:lol:

Any other Towing suggestions and info. which can't be easily found OnForum- especially re. Auto Diesels- will be most welcome!!

Blessings,
PAP.
TheBishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2009, 14:43   #2
Wolds_lady_2006
Loves to post

MG ZT

Bishop,

I tow regular...

Mine is the CDT and i have a twin wheeler 25 foot German van.

I leave her in D and I regularly return 22/3 MPG

With the combination of weight from the car and auto-box, the ratio's are well within the printed limits for the tourer.

Dont forget your mirrors....
Wolds_lady_2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2009, 23:30   #3
TheBishop

Thanks Wolds Lady.. ( I was expecting to see Gloucester/Cheltenham/Burford as your address... CotsWOLDS???!!)

I didn't realise 'Our' cars could handle Double-axle 'vans!

I notice your 'label' says CDTi (130BHP). Do you use this as well, as you say 'yours' is a CDT. My CDT is a sluggish 114bhp, and an auto at that, but planned for upgrading to 130bhp or similar! I'm only getting about 28mpg myself without a caravan, so 23-24 would be good! Oh, is yours a Manual?

Thanks for the reassurance and bothering to reply!
Best,
Paul.

Just remembered 'Your Mirrors!' tried my general Purpose ones on last week- Don't fit very well, do they??!!! Still, bit of double-sided tape will have to do for this season!!!

Last edited by TheBishop; 22nd June 2009 at 23:32.. Reason: Forgot 'Mirrors!'
Old 22nd June 2009, 23:37   #4
Dragrad
This is my second home

None * DROWNED

Thanked 1,664 Times in 1,081 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBishop View Post
Just remembered 'Your Mirrors!' tried my general Purpose ones on last week- Don't fit very well, do they??!!! Still, bit of double-sided tape will have to do for this season!!!
You can borrow mine (genuine Rover . ) if you want Paul

Andrew
Ich Dien
Problem solving is... lateral thinking

SEARCH FIRST ...ASK LATER...

Dragrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2009, 06:24   #5
GrahamP
Loves to post

Rover 75 2.0 CDT Club Automatic

Quote:
My CDT is a sluggish 114bhp, and an auto at that, but planned for upgrading to 130bhp or similar! I'm only getting about 28mpg myself without a caravan, so 23-24 would be good! Oh, is yours a Manual?
Auto box is much better for towing as you don't have to slip the clutch on hill starts. I'm towing a 5 berth Coachman with the same CDT as you without problems with 2 adults and 2 teenagers in the car.
Fuel consumption when towing averages 32 - 35 mpg, without its in the low 50's. if you are only getting 28mpg without a caravan that is very low.

Quote:
I use the Milenco GrandAero's they attach with 2 clamps to your mirrors outer case they give you a full height view of the van.
http://www.milenco.com/mirror-grandaero.html

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
GrahamP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2009, 12:15   #6
James.uk
Passed Away

2002 Pale Blue. Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur auto. 170K miles

Bish? Paul? If your car is only doing 28 mpg then you not only should NOT be towing anything, you should get your car fixed asap!

Before I bought my Ronbox, my "bog standard" 116 bhp CDT could have been described as "quite nippy" it certainly out performed my 2 litre Honda Accord!.. So if yours is "sluggish, then something is seriously wrong with it!

As for towing, I would advise buying an old Citroen Xantia diesel auto off ebay for about £600 and sell it again when the caravan season is over.
James.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2009, 12:52   #7
actros
Subscribed Member

20lt 75conny se Damson red

Quote:
Thanks Wolds Lady.. ( I was expecting to see Gloucester/Cheltenham/Burford as your address... CotsWOLDS???!!)

I didn't realise 'Our' cars could handle Double-axle 'vans!

I notice your 'label' says CDTi (130BHP). Do you use this as well, as you say 'yours' is a CDT. My CDT is a sluggish 114bhp, and an auto at that, but planned for upgrading to 130bhp or similar! I'm only getting about 28mpg myself without a caravan, so 23-24 would be good! Oh, is yours a Manual?

Thanks for the reassurance and bothering to reply!
Best,
Paul.

I also tow a 16' caravan with CDTI auto and i get 28/30mpg and have no trouble at all pulling the vanjust leave it in (D) and let do its own thing.
Old 23rd June 2009, 22:45   #8
TheBishop

So many ideas, so many explanations needed (from Me!)

My 29mpg consumption is only recently improved from 26.4(!) thanks to Dragrad's help with new EGR Bypass, PCV upgrade, 'Viton' o-rings- creating an actual SEAL for the flexible Turbo Pipe- rather than the previous total blow-by, AND with a temp repair of said Pipe... and I seem to have a pretty well-stuck-open Thermostat..! And this latter doesn't help with my most regular trips- 2 miles to and from my daughter's on a cold engine- Seeing the Temp gauge move upwards at all on the way there is quite a thrill!!

When properly warm i actually got 42mpg on the run!!

And with all this, checking the acceleration, -in the rain in 'Sport' mode, even BEFORE dragrad did the bits, I achieved a 0-60mph time of 13.2secs! That's faster than the 15 secs of my (petrol!) Corsair GT of 1967 vintage!! So no slug when pressed, though very deceiving to someone used to high-revving petrol engines- like my son- when the diesel engine changes up at so much lower revs!

But at least now that I know about these faults, I can (at least temporarily,) live with them and again, courtesy of Dragrad and friend, (Good Club, this!!) I already have some of these jobs in hand and none of them, I'm sure you'll agree, James.uk threaten impending engine meltdown! (at least I hope!!)

GrahamP- Thanks for the Milenco' Mirrors idea- (same Brand as my 'van wheel clamp!)- but they are ugly though, aren't they???! And fitted to a s-m-o-o-t-h car like ours... well!

And as to temporarily buying another car -especially a Citroen... after our disaster with a diesel BX...
1. I'd prefer to live! and,
2. I already have a (complained-about!) taxable XJ40 on the drive, and,
3. I'd really like to celebrate 42 years of reasonably-happy marriage in August- with the same wife!

Roll on the final icing on my cake- 'One Day...' the RonBox!!

Thanks everyone for all your interest, reassurance and contributions!

Look out Caravan Sites everywhere!

Paul
Old 23rd June 2009, 23:49   #9
GrahamP
Loves to post

Rover 75 2.0 CDT Club Automatic

Quote:
GrahamP- Thanks for the Milenco' Mirrors idea- (same Brand as my 'van wheel clamp!)- but they are ugly though, aren't they???! And fitted to a s-m-o-o-t-h car like ours... well!
Maybe but when you are trying to reverse 24 foot of caravan you need all the rear view you can get, especially as the drive is an up hill slope and only 6 inches to spare either side.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
GrahamP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2009, 13:47   #10
Roverowner
Retired

CDTi Tourer 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamP View Post
Maybe but when you are trying to reverse 24 foot of caravan you need all the rear view you can get, especially as the drive is an up hill slope and only 6 inches to spare either side.

But there must be something a bit more attactive than these. Remind me of the stainless fixtures used for alining multiple fraktures:lol: No accounting for taste though! My van is just the right size, so I don´t need extra mirrors Alan
Roverowner is offline   Reply With Quote