Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 18th June 2009, 11:11   #11
eskezz
Loves to post

rover 75 saloon

Same happened to me. Have a closer look at the filter canister where the pipe goes into the top as torque movement can seperate the cap only slightly which can be enough to release pressure that causes the starting problem. Make sure that the cap is screwed tightly onto the base -that's really tight-and fit the 'orange clip' from Rimmers.
eskezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2009, 11:30   #12
Keith James

Rover 75 Saloon 1.8T club SE /53 plate

Hi eskezz

Not sure what you mean can you please give more explanation

Thank's

Have recieved the remainder of your message understand now.

Last edited by Keith James; 18th June 2009 at 11:34..
Keith James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2009, 11:56   #13
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

For anyone wondering, see: http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...ead.php?t=9108

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2009, 20:25   #14
Keith James

Hi all

I had a rover mechanic call to see the car this afternoon and his diagnosis is its fuel pump thats gone seem a bit much having the car only done 17,000 miles and that car needs to be towed to the garage for repair.
I did check the fuel filter for a second time and its tight and in one peice, also when switching the ignition on can't here the pump working only a slight humming noise from the tank when taking the fuel cap off.

Any idea what the part number for the pump and cost is, and would it be possible to fit myself.

Thank's
Old 18th June 2009, 21:20   #15
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith James View Post
his diagnosis is its fuel pump thats gone
Possible, but unlikely IMO. The petrol pump is not known to be a problem. I know lots of petrol pumps get changed in the shotgun type approach to problem solving used by some garages. Most of these pumps are OK and the problem was the filter all along.

Quote:
I did check the fuel filter for a second time and its tight and in one peice
Means very little. Unless you fit the Fabled Orange Clip, the filter will unscrew as you replace it in the tank mounting. Unless you fit the clip, you cannot eliminate FFS, it's that simple.

If you have starting issues after fitting the clip, think about the main O-ring in the filter cap. Replace that and try again. I went through all this and believe me, the problem is almost certainly in the filter.

Quote:
when switching the ignition on can't here the pump working only a slight humming noise from the tank when taking the fuel cap off.
Yep, humming is the pump running. Save yourself a possible expensive folly and fit the clip first.

TC
Old 19th June 2009, 08:22   #16
Keith James

Hello T-Cut

Many thanks for your help in this matter much appreciated.
As previously mentioned l am no mechanic and feel a little apprehensive in carrying out this procedure without causing more problems.
As to the humming this happens when ignition is switched on and lasts for about twenty seconds or so so and by your reckoning the pump is ok.

I have taken the fuel lead off from the front of engine compartment hardly any fuel is being pumped.

It's getting very frustrating but will try follow your instructions in fitting the orange clip and also the 0-ring if needed.

Will order the parts over the weekend, any idea what the part number is for the O-ring or do you have to the order full set

You don't know anyone in the Worcestershire, Herefordshire area that might
be willing to give a hand

K.J

Last edited by Keith James; 19th June 2009 at 08:31..
Old 19th June 2009, 08:38   #17
Greeners

MG-ZTT

Thanked 1,249 Times in 1,036 Posts

Keith

the 75 system is clever in that if it can't detect fuel pressure, it stops the pump from running, hence no fuel at the engine.

I can't recall a single petrol pump failing, and T-Ct is spot on with the diagnosis.

The orange clip and the seal are the two weak points.

You don't need mechanical skills, just some common sense, and the procedure is well documented.
Greeners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2009, 09:05   #18
eskezz
Loves to post

rover 75 saloon

When I unscrewed my top from the base both the o rings inside the cap were 'as new' and I reused them without any problems Fitted the 'orange clip' and started 1st time (done at 16K miles). Good luck.
eskezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2009, 10:27   #19
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith James View Post
any idea what the part number is for the O-ring or do you have to the order full set
Rimmer info:
Part Number WJC000230
Description CLIP-FUEL FILTER
Retail Price £5.70 inc. VAT (£4.96 exc. VAT)

The O-ring is not available separately, so you have to buy the filter element kit.
Part Number WFL000090
Description FILTER ASSEMBLY-FUEL
Retail Price £49.31 inc. VAT (£42.88 exc. VAT)

If you buy the filter element kit, PLEASE would you measure the internal diameter and thickness of the large O-ring? I'm sure suitable alternatives are available for a few pence rather than spending a lot of money on the filter, which is very rarely needed.

If you get the dimensions,please report them on this thread. Many thanks.

My easy find terms for this thread are FOC (Fabled Orange Clip) and FFOR (Fuel Filter O-Rings)

TC

Last edited by T-Cut; 19th June 2009 at 10:33..
Old 23rd June 2009, 09:19   #20
Keith James

Hi

I purchased the orange clip from Rimmer Bros and fitted it, the filter was tight and had not come apart as the clip fitted easily, re-connected the battery turned ignition on engine turning over but still no petrol getting through.
took petrol cap off and turned ignition to position 2 and could here pump in the tank buzzing for about 10 secs or so, should l also be able to hear the front pump working the one attached to the battery case, or should l be looking for something else.

Getting desperate car been off the road now for nearly 2 weeks, any further help would be appreciated.

Last edited by Keith James; 23rd June 2009 at 09:35..