Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 5th November 2006, 17:06   #1
DavidJ
Avid contributor

MG6 & MG TF

Default Where is the Joy?

Is it better to own a car and do very few miles maintaining it's condition as you pass the years together. Or jack up the miles and enjoy driving it, take full advantage of what it has to offer you?

My opinion is the 75/ZT was made to drive, a mile muncher, a safe comfortable means from A-B. As a consequence the TF I bought on the same day as my ZT (support MGRover, or they will go bust.....not enough of us listened) has done 1/10th the mileage of my ZT. One car I will keep till my retirement, the other I will enjoy now.

What about you?

P.S. I hope to see close to or above 200,000 miles in the ZT (serviced every 10k and nursed on every journey - now doing 30,000 p.a. +). I hope to see 10 years plus in the TF and at the rate we are going it will have less than 20,000 miles by then, waxoyled every 10,000 miles (8 years to the second waxoyl service LOL).
DavidJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2006, 17:12   #2
JP53
I really should get out more.......

2004 Rover 75 1.8 Connoisseur SE saloon. 'Eliza'

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidJ View Post
Is it better to own a car and do very few miles maintaining it's condition as you pass the years together. Or jack up the miles and enjoy driving it, take full advantage of what it has to offer you?

My opinion is the 75/ZT was made to drive, a mile muncher, a safe comfortable means from A-B. As a consequence the TF I bought on the same day as my ZT (support MGRover, or they will go bust.....not enough of us listened) has done 1/10th the mileage of my ZT. One car I will keep till my retirement, the other I will enjoy now.

What about you?

P.S. I hope to see close to or above 200,000 miles in the ZT (serviced every 10k and nursed on every journey - now doing 30,000 p.a. +). I hope to see 10 years plus in the TF and at the rate we are going it will have less than 20,000 miles by then, waxoyled every 10,000 miles (8 years to the second waxoyl service LOL).
Drive it and enjoy. Thats what I bought mine for.
JP53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2006, 18:45   #3
Commodore
Loves to post

ex: Rover 75 2.0 V6 Club SE (2001 model on an 02 Plate). Now: MG Motor MG ZS Exclusive 1L Automatic

Absolutely - drive the thing into the ground and enjoy every mile.

Nothing worse than having a car you are terrified to drive in case you scuff/dent/dirty or total it.
Owners Club Member No. 86

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...ine=1163024370 Gone but not forgotten....The Tank
Rover 75 2.0 V6 Club SE (2001 model on an 02 Plate)
Commodore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2006, 21:39   #4
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

CDT, Drive it all the time as it is the cheapest and most comfortable per mile to run.

ZTT 190, drive it some of the time especially if swmbo has the CDT, it eats the miles though and I tend to go on very long drives in it.

V8 Save the planet so when I get one it will be used sparingly for odd business trips and plain good ol fun.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2006, 01:03   #5
BMC123
Posted a thing or two

2004 1.8 Connoisseur SE, 1999 XJ8

The way things are going, I say drive them all now while you still can...

It will not be long before the "powers that be" will start hitting us motorists hard again, more so those with big engines. I really get annoyed about that, as it is already well known that aircraft emit more "greenhouse gas" than cars, and they are only starting to notice them now.

I am lucky enough to have driven a number of nice cars in my life, but there are a number out there that I would like to drive before I shuffle off this mortal coil, and i am bleedin well going to make sure that i do
Old 6th November 2006, 11:43   #6
Colin Crossley

MG ZT

I am faced with this question every week.
I live in Cheshire and work in Surrey (230 miles each way Sunday & Friday).
Do I drive to work and enjoy the car, but pile on the miles?. Or do I leave it at home to enjoy at weekends, and use the dubious pleasures of our superb rail network to get to work ?.
If anybody has travelled from Runcorn to Sutton on a Sunday night by train - then I think I know what you would say!!
Colin Crossley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2006, 12:35   #7
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

Colin I am sort of in the same situation
My clients office is near Liverpool St. Station the train Journey requires three changes and the last time I went it was over £100

I tend instead to book a Hotel in Romford and go there by car as the train journey in is only 15 minutes but I couldn't do that every week!
Old 6th November 2006, 12:48   #8
Colin Crossley

MG ZT

Last night was perfect advertisement for NOT using public transport.
Left home 4.15, arrived in Surrey 11.15. 7 hours journey - standing from Crewe to Euston.
The only comforting thing is that the ZT is sat in the drive at home, having NOT covered another 230 miles !!
Colin Crossley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2006, 15:11   #9
PaulG
Avid contributor

75 2.5 Auto Connoissuer SE, 75 2.5 Man Connoissuer

An interesting dilema .... using them daily gaurentees stone chips, car park damage (why is it that you park in an area with few cars and by the time you get back are sourrounded by people who just throw their doors at you?) , but means that your daily journeys are enjoyable. Running something else and enjoying the 75 for high days and holidays does however help to make it even more enjoyable when you do take it out.

I wrestled with this for a while, having bought a 75 in 2000 with the intention of keeping it for the long term. 12 months later I found myself having to travel 140 miles a day to a different site. Common sense would suggest that using the 75 was the logical answer, so I went out and bought an 827 Sterling to use instead. That really made the weekend use of the 75 even more enjoyable!

Three years on the Sterling was starting to show its age..... a new dilema, throw money and time at something which isn't particularly enjoyable to use but is a comfortable motorway cruiser, or use a 75 which does the cruising better as well as being far more fun on the smaller roads. No contest ..... I bought another 75.

Best of both worlds ......use one and enjoy it everyday, have another for high days and holidays!

Paul
PaulG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2006, 15:55   #10
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

Well I have bitten the bullet so to speak
My youngest goes to school three miles away and the CDT does the school run every day with swmbo at the wheel no damage yet and as the car is designed to easily clock 200k plus without any major bills it will be the CDT that generally is going to be the one we use all the time.