Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 15th January 2012, 12:49   #1
Chuckles
Gets stuck in

NOW a Club Tourer was 1999 - 75 2.0Ltr Connoisseur SE petrol Saloon

Default V6 2.0 Connoisseur Start and alarms

I have just bought this beast. It is a 1999 model that originated in Guernsey, that I would think is very desirable in that it has brown leather/maroon interior with walnut and brown leather gear shift, wood trim steering wheel and moulded mud flaps!

Just thought I would throw that lot in and see if you chaps can throw light on why it has such a hi spec.

Anyway the problem.... (s)

It didn't want to start after a short run. The low fuel light did come on (coincidence?) That was yesterday - today started OK. But I am worried that I might get stranded. Any pointers to look at would be welcomed.

Air-Bag warning light: is this a diagnostics only way of finding a problem? I see from service records that this is not the first time and I found lots of wire stripping’s under the passenger seat indicating some rewire of sorts. I have until the end of the month to sort it before the MOT.

...and now low screen wash warning light despite the tank being full - BUT how on earth do you get at it. Already lost the blue cap in the abyss! never to be seen again....

I notice that the key sometimes will not go in the steering column due the flap in the key socket, but that may be due to lack of use.

One question that would be nice to know. The engine was replaced in 2006, would this mean that the later engine is more reliable?

Gosh! this started as a short note now it is an essay...

I am sure there will be a very good response here from all you knowledgeable chaps and chapesses! Thank you in advance

Chuck

Last edited by Chuckles; 15th January 2012 at 12:57..
Chuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2012, 13:00   #2
psicobra
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

First thing with any Rover is Check your plenum chamber for water there is a how to on here and if it is flooded it can damage your ECU and cause all kinds of problems. If the plenum chamber has fille dup the water can leak into the cabin and damage your side impact sensor and cause the airbag light on the dash.

long list of work done so long cant fit in signature so here is the link
psicobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2012, 13:28   #3
RN3212
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Classic SE 2.0V6 Auto Moonstone Green

If your car fails to start while the engine is still warm it could be the Cam Sensor.It's situated under the engine cover beside the Oil Filler Cap,and it's easily replaced.Might be worthwhile getting one from a Breaker to see if that cures it.The Windscreen Washer Reservoir Light on my car stays on for about 1 minute after starting and then goes out,this started after I cleaned the Filter in the Washer Bottle,probably a dirty connection.Try spraying the Ignition Barrel with Carbeurettor Cleaner,it should get rid of any dirt and free things up.Also it's Non Residual,so there's no danger of more dirt sticking after you use it.The Airbag Warning Light is common enough.Most people solve it by cutting out the Connector Blocks under the seats and soldering the wires direct.
Old 15th January 2012, 13:44   #4
chris75
same car since 2005

2001 Rover 75 2.0 v6 Connoisseur Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckles View Post
One question that would be nice to know. The engine was replaced in 2006, would this mean that the later engine is more reliable?

Chuck
In a word , No It will be the same animal .But then the early ones were never unreliable anyway
Cam belts renewal and Thermostat housings are the things to check with age; plenty on here about both.
Old 15th January 2012, 16:19   #5
Chuckles
Gets stuck in

Hey thanks for all that info, sure looks like this is going to be a great forum.

I will follow the advice diligently and report back on the success or otherwise.

As soon as the weather gets better I will add a photo avatar of the beast. I have never seen an interior like this one, that's why I bought it; trouble is, I was going to buy one with less miles with warrenty, and my Merc taken in part exchange, but couldn't resist this one.

Trouble now, I have too many cars!!!
Membership #1896
Don't take life so seriously.... it is not permanent!
Old 18th January 2012, 06:50   #6
Chuckles
Gets stuck in

Well after several restarts on the warm engine it never failed , however id spray some WD40 around the connector, perhaps that helped. Doing a small run today and see if it is still OK. The destination has another 75 with the same engine so at least if it does become a problem I have another sensor to play with.

The plenum was full of leaves (oak); damp, but no water. So a good clean out was done here. Also found a very manky pollen filter, then checked the air filter, then checked..... well you can see where I am going with this. A "well looked after and serviced car" was in fact no where near what I term as acceptable, any way it gives me some to while away my "spare" time!

I will be setting out to explore the undergrowth today - hopefully if there is enough hours - and check out the screen wash bottle for bad sensor (or more muck) and continue to find the air bag problem light source.

Is there any where to buy the Rover badges? My boot and rear door ones are poor.
Membership #1896
Old 18th January 2012, 07:48   #7
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Hi Chuck and to the club!
Quote:
I have never seen an interior like this one ...
It sounds as if you have the Aubergine interior. That's from the Personal Line range. Which paintwork do you have? If you search the forum you'll find an extremely comprehensive guide to all the trim & paint colours written by Reebs.
Quote:
Is there any where to buy the Rover badges?
Try X-Part and Rimmer Bros. to begin with. They both have banner advertisments at the top of this forum page.

Simon.
Old 18th January 2012, 23:30   #8
Chuckles
Gets stuck in

Thanks for the welcome Simon,

I believe it is called White Gold and yes I did see the info on the interior specs and it is the Aubergine.

It is in good order although as usual a well serviced vehicle is any thing but! Oil was like treacle! Changed all the fluids today and earmarked the water pipes in the lower front to be cleaned and painted/or replaced as there is signs of a leakage there. I did see the post on the "skinny" pipes and posted a query here, as mine must be the older type and if these new ones are the only ones available - can I adapt hoses to fit?

The only last job I have to sort is the air bag and screen wash warning lights - nightmare getting to that wash bottle!

My colleague and I are thinking of buying the fault analyzer. Any ideas on the codes/settings that we need or what type is recommended?

Many Thanks to all for their help.
Membership #1896