Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 29th June 2011, 12:19   #1
Z T Top
Gets stuck in

MG ZT+ SE 131

Default Was 37.1 MPG now 53.3 MPG - Is a Synergy box that good?

I fitted my new Rover Ron Synergy box with pitsburg Maf which I bought second hand from member MadRus.

I have both switches on and the knob set to 7 (I think) and although there does not seem a massive difference in performance, I have bone 100 miles today (50% in towns / 50% motorway) and my average MPG (according to the dash computer) has gone from 37.1 MPG which has been the average over the past months, to 53.1 MPG over the last 100 miles.

CAN THE SYNERGY KIT HONESTLY BE THAT GOOD

My car averaged about 42 MPG when I bought it but over the last three and a half years and 155,000 miles this has reduced to 37.1 MPG despite changing the Maf.

If my true MPG is now 53.1% that will be amazing especially as I do 40k miles a year.

But what do members who have used one of these before think?
Old 29th June 2011, 12:28   #2
mark_bonsai
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 CDT Saloon

Unfortunately, I think the Synergy affects the IPK computer and doesn't give a true reading. The best way to tell is brim to brim.
Re-mapped. EGR bypass. De-catted. 18" Apex's. ZT190 brakes & suspension. Xenon projectors. Powerfold bullets. Electric rear sun blind. Auto dipping rear view mirror. Wood and leather steering wheel. Wood handbrake handle. Full leather sports seats. Harman Kardon speakers & sub. Navall 2 double din through 500w Kenwood amp. Fully chromed front grill.
mark_bonsai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2011, 12:32   #3
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Resetting the computer to check the new consumption data requires rather more than 100 miles' driving to get the most realistic figure. I'd suggest you simply watch the result without resetting it over the next 1,000 miles or so. The data will be far more meaningful, comparatively speaking. The accurate mpg figure needs the computer data to be correctly factorised using the Diagnostic Mode routine based on brim to brim mileage figures. Details are in the latest edition.
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2011, 13:01   #4
rotrex
Passed Away

mg zt cdti se 150+. mg ztt 190 lpg. rover 75 cdt club se.

ZTTOP.
I'd suggest you leave it for a mont then compare to last month, assuming its ish same conditions, ie motorwa.town. speed ect ect.
I tent to leave mine for 1000mls at a time. althou sometimes reset before. example I restet mine a few days ago when we were leaving edinburgh for moffat show and have no reset since. looked last night and mls covered was 260 av speed 46 av mpg 49.3. that was a mix of 60mph coundty a roads and motorway 85mph then back and forth short local runs starting from cold.
I have a mafam with ebay tuning box which were on car when I bought it. last 75 I had synergy 2 on it. this one is faster however it is a 135 to start with, last was a 114 to start with. tam.

Last edited by rotrex; 29th June 2011 at 15:30..
rotrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2011, 13:22   #5
Z T Top
Gets stuck in

MG ZT+ SE 131

Thanks Guy's, I will check it over the next 1000 miles and do a brim to brim test

I hope it is right, just worked out I will save over £2000 in fuel this year if it is
Old 29th June 2011, 13:29   #6
Rolled1
Avid contributor

MG ZT CDTi+

The Synergy definitely affects the IPK, mine became very generous in its mpg readings immediately after fitting the Synergy even though my actual fuel consumption rose, my readout was always mid 40's as I did mainly short journeys and mixed conditions and my brim to brim figures were pretty close to that too, however I took full advantage of the extra power available with the Synergy and always had it on top setting, my brim to brim calculations fell to low 40's while the readout was showing mid 50's so quite a way out, I dont know whether this feature is built into the box to make you think you are getting better economy?
Rolled1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2011, 17:19   #7
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

You have to adjust the OBD factor to bring the mpg with Synergy back into the correct area. That can only be done correctly using a series of brim to brim calculations. The OBD will then be bang on.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2011, 19:05   #8
Thomas
This is my second home

MG6 1.8T GT SE

Moved to technical help forum for better coverage.
Old 3rd July 2011, 13:24   #9
tvpcop
Loves to post

MG ZT CDTI 135+

No sadly you won't suddenly be getting 15 mph more. 1-3 seems to be the norm if you don't use the extra grunt too much. the synergy effects the ipk reading to a greater or lesser extent depending on which setting is used. use brim to brim calculations for a true test.
MG ZT CDTI+ 135 Drivers Intel pack, spec: full heated leather, parking sensors, auto dip mirror, traffic master, xenons, harmon kardon system, kenwood mp3, bluetooth, refurbed gridspokes, Decat Longlife Stainless exhaust, 190 brake conversion, Synergy2 + Pierburg, intake mod, FK-452's, Jules gold resistor

To-do, Leon splitter, have drivers seat re-upholstered to repair rip.............the list never ends!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
tvpcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2011, 14:45   #10
kissifer1972
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Conn Tourer & Rover 75 CDT Conn SE Saloon

Don't forget guys he has also fitted a Pierburg MAF, so presumably the one he had when he was getting 37MPG was duff.

A properly functioning MAF could easily improve your MPG to where it should be, but not to 53 MPG. I would think the 53MPG will come down with the miles.

I get around 40MPG with my mixed driving commute and on a good motorway run 50 - 55MPG. That is with the X-Power upgrade and a Synergy set to 1, and no that's not a mis-type just so happens the T4 reckons 1 gives the best fuel air ratio on my 75.
Genuine Rover Xenons - now removed and sold
Kenlowe fan
Synergy 2
EGR Bypass

Last edited by kissifer1972; 3rd July 2011 at 14:47..
kissifer1972 is offline   Reply With Quote