Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 21st May 2020, 14:30   #11
KWIL
Precise

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5KV6 Connoisseur SE

My biggest "fright" or was it "fear for the other driver", was when overtaken by a Smart Fortwo on the north bound A1M!

My 2.5KV6 was not exactly hanging about

High speed in a paper bag, not for me.
KWIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2020, 16:19   #12
reworht
This is my second home

Honda HR-V 1.6 i-DTEC SE Navi 5dr Diesel Hatchback

Thanked 2,156 Times in 1,497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWIL View Post
My biggest "fright" or was it "fear for the other driver", was when overtaken by a Smart Fortwo on the north bound A1M!

My 2.5KV6 was not exactly hanging about

High speed in a paper bag, not for me.
The thought of being hit up the back of one of those doesn't bear thinking about

Rodney - you plonker!
... but more commonly known as Rod !
reworht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2020, 16:26   #13
coolguy
Coolguy

Rover 75 CDT Tourer Auto, Rover 75 2.0 Connoisseur Auto, MG ZT 2.5 Auto and MG ZT Cdti Auto (Monogra

My father had a Rover SD1 in white in the 1980s - it was great fun seeing everyone slow down and get out of the way. Must confess that the smallest car I have ever owned or driven is a Rover 45, which most think folk of as slow, but the CVT in 6 speed F1 mode surprises many. As a smallish car I have had 3 and still have one - they are far better than people made them out to be.
coolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2020, 18:06   #14
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

I get the impression I must be entirely invisible or at least not considered worth the aggro in my R75 bathchair. Possibly because I flatly refuse to go anywhere in a hurry so don’t present a target to the over representation of idiots in non-Rover cars.

Or maybe because I rather like letting others go first at pinch points (so they can get a better look at my car and enjoy some happy relief they maybe hadn’t expected).

That’s not to say I don’t enjoy inconveniencing others occasionally. As the lock down has been lifted on garden centres we decided to visit one locally today. No connection to me but Summerhills near me has a most impressive stock and is easily approached on the A127 dual carriageway where enthusiastic driving is grudgingly tolerated.

We bought 2 Wisterias and a gorgeous Lonicera periclymenum Serotina (Celia reckons that’s a Honeysuckle) and returned to the car. Now, the plants were Anthony Joshua tall and leafage abundant and it was then that we remembered we were in our MX5.

Celia planted (please, no pun) herself and graciously received the three triffids, one over her right shoulder and two over the left. Celia then appeared to disappear. Obvs, the roof had to go down so it looked like a mobile jungle with Nyoka in the trees.

As I bear little resemblance to Johnny Weissmuller I maintained a stiff upper lip and a determined forward view. Of course to avoid damage to the plants I had to keep to 40 all the way, thereby destroying the myth about sports car drivers (as well as R75’s by default). There is nothing worse than a snapped tendril. Curiously, not one toot of rage. Mind you, a glimpse of Celia in her glorious habitat was enough to quell any savage breast.