Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 25th April 2019, 13:38   #11
kc13661
I really should get out more.......

Freelander Td4

Quote:
Originally Posted by another_clean_sheet View Post
Because people who have got points on their licence or expired points are more likely to get points again. So insurance companies want to look at the biggest time window possible.

Is this an opinion, or is there actual evidence documented to support this claim?

Growing old is compulsory.... Growing up is Optional
kc13661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2019, 13:41   #12
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Greg View Post
An alternative point of view is someone who has acquired points may thereafter become a more careful and responsible driver and therefore less likely to acquire more points in the future. The insurance companies view on this and their practices are somewhat of a blunt instrument.

This is not what data and experience shows.

The insurance industry employs the finest analytical minds from our universities to model risk based on historical data and current variables. This is what determines your premiums.

I have some of the lowest possible insurance costs for my cars yet high cost for my property insurance. It is not at all difficult to rationalise why that is the case.

Car insurance is a highly competitive business in the UK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc13661 View Post
Is this an opinion, or is there actual evidence documented to support this claim?

Fact.

Last edited by MSS; 25th April 2019 at 13:43..
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2019, 13:48   #13
Nick Greg
Posted a thing or two

Honda Insight Hybrid

And they also employ the finest accountants to rip us off.
Are all you lot employed by insurance companies or what?
Hows about sticking up for the consumer rather than defend these pariahs of customer exploitation?
Nick Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2019, 13:55   #14
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Greg View Post
And they also employ the finest accountants to rip us off.
Are all you lot employed by insurance companies or what?
Hows about sticking up for the consumer rather than defend these pariahs of customer exploitation?

The simple fact that the insurance companies do not make huge profits is ample evidence that they do not exploit . Some even make losses!

The average consumer wants everything to be paid for by someone else - a bit like the people who come on here complaining about having to pay VED on their 4th V6 car despite being a low earner!

Don't forget that the profits of insurance companies and the like underpin many pension funds that affect the majority of the population.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2019, 14:06   #15
Nick Greg
Posted a thing or two

Honda Insight Hybrid

Yep. Definitely an insurance company employee....
I have no sympathy for this point of view whatsoever. Insurance companies are not charities and are modern day pirates.
Old 25th April 2019, 14:17   #16
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

‘Fraid the market dictates Nick. And that’s the trouble with comparison sites. There can be nothing more beneficial for the money men than a mass movement to stir wallets.

Yes, some will take the trouble to schlep along the high street to a broker’s shop and sit there while he looks at those same sites too! A good professional will know the latest fluctuations and, more importantly, who has worthwhile policies on offer – it’s not always the cheapest that are the best - but you won’t know that merely by the crude trawl net of the comparison sites. They will always attract the bottom feeders. They do have a use but it is limited.

The trick is first to develop the broker relationship; try a home insurance to start. Then, at your motor renewal quote, see the same broker - by name if necessary. He will then know your renewal date and approach you first, direct. Not only can the broker ask questions, you can too and even if he cannot beat what you have found, at least you now have a new contact and friend!
Incidentally, I have never worked for a broker!
Old 25th April 2019, 14:19   #17
Nick Greg
Posted a thing or two

Honda Insight Hybrid

I do tend to use a broker to be honest. They seem a bit more attentive to the small print which is the all important bit.
Old 25th April 2019, 14:34   #18
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Another 'incidental'; the traditional insurance companies, if there are any now, are far from being public benefactors in the normal sense. They do however underpin the service and banking sectors insofar as our home based industries go. Their contributions to the country's finances are by far the largest sector. BUT, they are entirely profit based and there is no room for sentiment. Even the smallest credit card debt is fully insured against any possible loss to the issuer.

Boards of Directors are always vulnerable to takeovers and share prices and their only objective is growth and profit. A metaphor? Vultures with clipped talons and on heroin. Still with beaks, to grab your wallet. Insurers lobby parliamentarians even more than PC fanatics.

Last edited by wraymond; 25th April 2019 at 15:41..
wraymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2019, 14:59   #19
Split or Bust
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Struggling to see how someone can be “unfortunate to receive penalty points" in the first place.

https://www.gov.uk/penalty-points-en...penalty-points

And before you ask yes I do have points on my licence but then I was exceeding the speed limit so it was fair cop and I have no issue with the insurance companies asking for 5 years. If anything that's actually an added good reason to not be "unfortunate" in the future knowing it will likely affect my insurance costs for even longer.

So I guess the best way to avoid this perceived insurance scam is not to be “unfortunate” in the first place.
Split or Bust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2019, 15:52   #20
another_clean_sheet
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTI Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc13661 View Post

That is what the insurance companies believe or have evidence for. I used to do Community Speed Watch in the village and it was always the same people that used to exceed the speed limit.
If you look at the number of people that accrue 9 points it is 80000+ and there are 10000+ with 12 points or more that have not been banned. It was only a few months ago that a driver had 60 points on his license and had not been banned. So points do not appear to be a deterrent.

Last edited by another_clean_sheet; 25th April 2019 at 16:47..
another_clean_sheet is offline   Reply With Quote