Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 21st April 2019, 20:16   #1
fontaine666
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Head gasket Failure Maybe?

Hey all.

I did a post on here explaining my issue with coolant fluid gushing out of the car, the fans going mental and the warning light coming on etc.

So, I have taken the car, 75 petrol 2003, to a garage, they reckon that they did a test of some description and found out that it's a head gasket failure.

I checked the oil, no mayonnaise type stuff, and no other usual signs of HGF.

The car only cost me £650 but it only has 60k on the clock and no other issues before this, love the car.

Is there a way of definitively knowing that it's the HGF or not?

Also, what sort of price would I be looking at to get this fixed as opposed to scrapping it? The guy in the garage quote 800 quid odd, so clearly he is just trying to rip me off as i'd heard it shouldnt be more than 450 or so, is this right?

Thank you so much, you guys really are a great help.
fontaine666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2019, 20:49   #2
Tim JMGRs
Avid contributor

MG ZT

Is it a 1.8 or V6?
If it's a V6, try bypassing the oil cooler before spending any money on it.
Tim JMGRs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2019, 20:52   #3
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

£800?????

If I were carrying out a top end overhaul on a K series head, this is what I would be doing.

After checking the head material for hardness, I then remove camshafts, valves, valve stem oil seals, check the valve guides and recut valve seats, reface valves, then grind each valve into it's respective seat.

Reface the cylinder head, removing the minimum amount of material to ensure that the sealing face is devoid of imperfection, then rebuild using new valve stem oil oil seals, and camshaft oil seals.

The bottom end is prepared to ensure it's cleaned spotlessly after lapping the liner tops to ensure there are no inclusions or pitting present where the fire rings sit, and a new waterpump fitted.

Only when I'm satisfied it's completely right will I put it all back together, and the customer will not get the car returned until I've run it personally at least 500 miles to ensure everything is shaken down, checked, double checked and found to be ok.

Irrespective of what you have been told, to completely rebuild a K series cylinder head takes around 12 hours, plus parts, this does not include the time to remove the head from the car and refitting.

If you remove a cylinder head, fit a new cylinder head gasket without investigating the root cause of failure, the job is doomed to failure before you start.

If the cylinder head gasket is likened to a fuse, then the overload condition is not traced, the fuse will blow again in short order.

So what are you getting for £450, and what has the garage done to diagnose the failure and more importantly why?

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2019, 21:14   #4
fontaine666
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
£800?????

If I were carrying out a top end overhaul on a K series head, this is what I would be doing.

After checking the head material for hardness, I then remove camshafts, valves, valve stem oil seals, check the valve guides and recut valve seats, reface valves, then grind each valve into it's respective seat.

Reface the cylinder head, removing the minimum amount of material to ensure that the sealing face is devoid of imperfection, then rebuild using new valve stem oil oil seals, and camshaft oil seals.

The bottom end is prepared to ensure it's cleaned spotlessly after lapping the liner tops to ensure there are no inclusions or pitting present where the fire rings sit, and a new waterpump fitted.

Only when I'm satisfied it's completely right will I put it all back together, and the customer will not get the car returned until I've run it personally at least 500 miles to ensure everything is shaken down, checked, double checked and found to be ok.

Irrespective of what you have been told, to completely rebuild a K series cylinder head takes around 12 hours, plus parts, this does not include the time to remove the head from the car and refitting.

If you remove a cylinder head, fit a new cylinder head gasket without investigating the root cause of failure, the job is doomed to failure before you start.

If the cylinder head gasket is likened to a fuse, then the overload condition is not traced, the fuse will blow again in short order.

So what are you getting for £450, and what has the garage done to diagnose the failure and more importantly why?

Brian
Yeah i havent actually been quoted 450, the guy in the garage said 800, I thought I saw some posts saying it was more like 450 though, that's what im saying..
Old 22nd April 2019, 08:54   #5
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fontaine666 View Post
I did a post on here explaining my issue with coolant fluid gushing out of the car, the fans going mental and the warning light coming on etc.
John,

From the video you posted in your recent thread it is clear that you have a major coolant leak. This will be the cause of your radiator fan running at high speed and the 'high temperature' warning light illuminating. Overheating such as this puts the head gasket at risk.

What you should be doing is identifying the source of that leak, fixing it, then test driving the car. The outcome will be one of two things:
  • The problem is solved.
  • The engine continues to overheat and eject coolant confirming that the head gasket has failed.

Quote:
I checked the oil, no mayonnaise type stuff, and no other usual signs of HGF.
You then have the gasket renewed making sure that the correct type is fitted depending upon the condition of the head and block (the factors have been documented on the forum many times). You already know the cause of the problem (uncorrected coolant loss) so there should be no need for the extensive overhaul recently described, admirable though it is.

Consider using a different garage for any repair work since you reported that the current business was unable to identify the source of the torrent of coolant shown in the video you posted and that should be a warning to you.

Simon
Old 22nd April 2019, 18:01   #6
fontaine666
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

awesome replies thanks guys, however, I have decided to sell/scrap the vehice, too much headache for me. Can get 160 scrap so if anyone wants it for 180 then let me know, thanks!
Old 22nd April 2019, 18:45   #7
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

Wow............
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2019, 12:16   #8
Sheraton
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 1.8t

Quote:
Originally Posted by fontaine666 View Post
awesome replies thanks guys, however, I have decided to sell/scrap the vehice, too much headache for me. Can get 160 scrap so if anyone wants it for 180 then let me know, thanks!

at just 60k mileage is it not worth the effort ?

I've been at the point of giving up not long ago myself - I'm glad I didn't

the K-series is not a difficult Engine to work on - and with a little Investigation a Coolant leak like you have should be easy to locate - literally, bonnet open undertray off and having a look it should be obvious where the Coolant is escaping from

as per Simon's advice - locate/fix the Coolant leak, refill the system and test to check for any signs of HGF no drama...no headache....and since you have already considered scrapping the Car - you have nothing to lose and all to Gain

Paul.
Sheraton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2019, 12:51   #9
timon
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

Someone should buy this car. Seems like a steal.
timon is offline   Reply With Quote