Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 31st March 2019, 20:18   #1
RogerHeinz57
I really should get out more.......

A Reasonably Priced Car

Thanked 1,064 Times in 712 Posts
Default Clutch Changed

After 7 years of ownership, and car totalling almost 145,000 miles it was time to replace the clutch. There was no slip, or loss of fluid but the engagement of 1st gear at standstill often challenged me.
I went with a Borg & Beck 2 piece kit and an LUK slave cylinder totalling just over £100. A new clutch sleeve, new lower ball joint nut and bolt kit for each side and 2 litres of MTF 94 oil. Total was £160 in parts.
The condition of the friction components seemed like they could easily continue for some time into the future, the slave cylinder came out in 1 piece, with no leaks, So it would seem the thing would have gone for maybe a good time, but the funds were available for the kit. The DMF was in good order too. The method of my madness was to keep the reliability of this car good. The outcome is great, & the clutch pedal is much lighter to use.
I must say that I have done plenty of these with a well known T-4 Dude, but these were changed working on the floor, not a ramp like today. It took time to do, but must say that there are less aches and pains this time !

My advice is . If you know your clutch is on it's way out, do it early before damage takes place, or the thing lets you down
RogerHeinz57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2019, 20:27   #2
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

It does make a huge difference John, and as soon as I've finished the anti fouling on the bottom of the old man's tourer and fitted up the refurbished rear subframe, along with the new upper arms and got it tested, I'm changing the clutch in the wife's car.

It's not that it's slipping, leaking, or generally not working, it's because it's as heavy as hell.

She took my car for a spin and nearly stamped the clutch pedal through the floor

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2019, 20:28   #3
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

well done that man. Took me an awful lot longer and loads more money.
the more I took apart the more problems I found.

Can I ask why you did not change drive shaft oils seals or drive shaft circle?
I changed mine, did I waste my money?

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2019, 18:03   #4
RogerHeinz57

A Reasonably Priced Car

My car was a total shed when I bought it, but underneath all of the farmyard crud lay an honest vehicle, the drive shaft oil seals from experience offer little in the way of problems unless somebody has been quite ham-fisted with the shafts.
The items that got replaced, just prevent failures in the future, the guide sleeve had no signs of wear either, so the sleeve may well find it's way to MB if he fancies it.
This car has been so brilliant and dependable it has been treated.
Old 1st April 2019, 18:07   #5
RogerHeinz57

A Reasonably Priced Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
It does make a huge difference John, and as soon as I've finished the anti fouling on the bottom of the old man's tourer and fitted up the refurbished rear subframe, along with the new upper arms and got it tested, I'm changing the clutch in the wife's car.

It's not that it's slipping, leaking, or generally not working, it's because it's as heavy as hell.

She took my car for a spin and nearly stamped the clutch pedal through the floor

Brian
The clutch guide sleeve has not been used matey, but I can send it up so you don't find yourself in emergency mode if Mrs MB's clutch sleeve is found to be below par. Just PM me.