Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 25th April 2019, 18:48   #1
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts
Default Coach/bus HGV drivers.

This Sunday, I have to give up my lie in and a day off to attend the first module of the 2019 driver cpc. What a load of absolute cack!! 5 days, 35 hours 5 modules of listening to someone telling me how to do the job I have been doing now for 16 years. I can understand it for those new to the coach and haulage industries, but why the hell should we seasoned drivers be forced to do it, just to keep hold of our livelihoods?Every 5 years this has to be done, the stupid thing about it is, you can do 5 of the same module, or mix and match 3/2, 4/1, rather than doing the 5 different sections..
As a part time/casual employee, I am having to fork out the cost myself. £56 per module x5 =£280 The instigators of the scheme were the Germans, supposedly to route out "cowboy drivers", but when the plan was blueprinted( for want of another word), they threw it out, as did the French, Belgians, and another E U country. The UK? no we'll have some of that, it will create jobs for people, and we can get money out of the working man once again. It absolutely boils my pish.!! Anyone else believe it's pointless?
End of rant.

Last edited by RPWC; 28th April 2019 at 11:31..
RPWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2019, 19:24   #2
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

I believe it's a total joke from drivers I still know in the game.
Much after my time on class 1's I'm happy to say. the job got done without all that BS and the micro analysing of drivers hours, driving where heavy braking poor mpg figures will get you a reprimand.

My mate who's been driving HGV's for 30+ years failed a driving assessment because he didn't keep the dial on the dash in the green section of the dial

I'm glad I'm out of it to be honest. Nobody bothered you back then as long as the job got done.

We had proper licences too, none o that plastic credit card type licence

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2019, 19:31   #3
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Back in the good old days Ian.You are right about beaurocratic bs, I have to have a DBS check, as I sometimes work transporting special needs kids, this is kept up to date with a payment every year. This means I can work for any coach company/local authority in the country, and they have instant online access to my trustworthiness, but the local council has now introduced a further hurdle.
I have to sit an online test ,by watching a video on safeguarding, then answering questions about it. Not only that , but I will have to go to to the local council office, and listen to a lecture on the same subject, lasting 1 hour. Its like being back at school, actually no its not, there was none of this bull 35 years ago when I was at school.
Old 25th April 2019, 19:45   #4
Groundhog
Posted a thing or two

Citroen C5 Aircross

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPWC View Post
This Sunday, I have to give up my lie in and a day off to attend the first module of the 2019 driver cpc. What a load of absolute cack!! 5 days, 35 hours 5 modules of listening to someone telling me how to do the job I have been doing now for 16 years. I can understand it for those new to the coach and haulage industries, but why the hell should we seasoned drivers be forced to do it, just to keep hold of our livelihoods?Every 5 years this has to be done, the stupid thing about it is, you can do 5 of the same module, or mix and match 3/2, 4/1, rather than doing the 5 different sections..
As a part time/casual employee, I am having to fork out the cost myself. £56 per module x5 =£280 The instigators of the scheme were the Germans, supposedly to route out "cowboy drivers", but when the plan was blueprinted( for want of another word), they threw it out, as did the French, Belgians, and another E U country. The UK? no we'll have some of that, it will create jobs for people, and we can get money out of the working man once again. It absolutely boils my pish.!! Anyone else believe it's pointless?
End of rant.
Totally agree Rich

Especially when the “instructor” was a middle aged woman telling me how to drive an artic economically and she didn’t even possess an HGV License.

As you rightly say it’s just another money making racket from the corrupt EU dictatorship.
Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2019, 19:47   #5
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Totally agree Rich

Especially when the “instructor” was a middle aged woman telling me how to drive an artic economically and she didn’t even possess an HGV License.

As you rightly say it’s just another money making racket from the corrupt EU dictatorship.
But we have been told even if we did leave the EU, the Uk would still continue with it. I would imagine a lot of the "trainers" don't possess HGV"PCV licence, the original cps I did in 2013, had 2 instructors, one of them covered module 3, the legislation, and he did a bit of relief driving for the post office on the artics, trained their drivers, and did a lot of training for the fire and ambulance services. he was really good, knew his stuff.

Last edited by RPWC; 25th April 2019 at 19:51..
RPWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2019, 19:53   #6
Groundhog
Posted a thing or two

Citroen C5 Aircross

Quote:
But we have been told even if we did leave the EU, the Uk would still continue with it.
Of course they will

The transport industry is just not worth the hassle.

The U.K. will never change it’s policy of screwing the working class.
Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2019, 19:57   #7
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Of course they will

The transport industry is just not worth the hassle.

The U.K. will never change it’s policy of screwing the working class.
And they complain that the transport industry is well short of drivers! My gaffer said why would anyone want to come into it? Be it haulage or passenger transport, the hours are cr@p, as is the money, and the cost to obtain your licence is horrendous, and the amount of bs you have to go through, once you get it, who would blame them?
Old 25th April 2019, 19:57   #8
Snetty
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75

Quote:
End of rant.
Have to agree.
Another idea thought of by some desk bound numpty who has never sat in anything bigger than his Corsa. I have done my 5 days 4 of which were mind numbingly boring the other was interesting and actually informative, us lucky sods on that day were treated to a first aid course most useful you might think until my employer refused to issue first aid kits.
In the last few years I have been assessed by a tracked telematics system using a computer program to try and change my 30 year old driving habits, which failed even with the incentive of a daily bonus. To having forward facing and in cab cameras where the footage can be seen at base if requested within minutes and the latest tachograph head units where DVSA can read your tacho graph without even stopping you.
And they wonder why there is a shortage of drivers.
Snetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2019, 20:10   #9
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snetty View Post
Have to agree.
Another idea thought of by some desk bound numpty who has never sat in anything bigger than his Corsa. I have done my 5 days 4 of which were mind numbingly boring the other was interesting and actually informative, us lucky sods on that day were treated to a first aid course most useful you might think until my employer refused to issue first aid kits.
In the last few years I have been assessed by a tracked telematics system using a computer program to try and change my 30 year old driving habits, which failed even with the incentive of a daily bonus. To having forward facing and in cab cameras where the footage can be seen at base if requested within minutes and the latest tachograph head units where DVSA can read your tacho graph without even stopping you.
And they wonder why there is a shortage of drivers.
Exactly Adi, the only part I found interesting the first time was the legislation side if it. Even though my self employed work is my main job, in the eyes of the DVSA, its classed as part time work, and I have to keep a diary of the hours I work for myself, to produce if asked for.
Another waste of time, I could write anything down in the diary, and neither myself or the commissioners could prove it was true or false, my van doesn't have a tachograph.
Old 28th April 2019, 11:32   #10
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Quote:
End of rant.
Bored!!!!..