Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 23rd April 2019, 15:01   #1
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

2005 Connoisseur SE 1.8 Turbo,2004 45 1.8 Connoisseur and my beloved 1998 VVC Coupe.

Thanked 1,016 Times in 739 Posts
Default Whitby woes

Seems Whitby has become a victim of it's own success.I love the place but I'm glad I didn't visit over the Easter holiday.What with the place being left like a tip by the record number of visitors, and parking meters on all the surrounding streets, I fear a last bastion of British seaside quaintness is coming to a an end.
VVC-Geeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2019, 16:33   #2
BoroRover
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75

Whitby is my favourite place. I have visited there hundreds of times over the years, but, as you rightly say, it is swiftly becoming a victim of its own success.
I visit mid-week,( I'm fully aware lots can't do this), even during Folk Week, my favourite week of all.
There has been much debate in local papers re the problem of litter, bins provided such as they are, are quickly filled to overflowing, with no staff to deal with the issue.
It will be a wise head indeed that solves that particular problem.
A local photographer posted a shot of the Swing Bridge almost impassable due to crowding.
It is slightly misleading though, the bridge had opened to allow a vessel to pass through, leading to a huge build up both sides of the bridge, who surged forward on the re-opening.
Still got the best fish and chips has Whitby
BoroRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2019, 17:51   #3
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoroRover View Post
Whitby is my favourite place. I have visited there hundreds of times over the years, but, as you rightly say, it is swiftly becoming a victim of its own success.
I visit mid-week,( I'm fully aware lots can't do this), even during Folk Week, my favourite week of all.
There has been much debate in local papers re the problem of litter, bins provided such as they are, are quickly filled to overflowing, with no staff to deal with the issue.
It will be a wise head indeed that solves that particular problem.
A local photographer posted a shot of the Swing Bridge almost impassable due to crowding.
It is slightly misleading though, the bridge had opened to allow a vessel to pass through, leading to a huge build up both sides of the bridge, who surged forward on the re-opening.
Still got the best fish and chips has Whitby

It's people like you then causing the problems!

The chip shop had burned down last year. Has it reopened?
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2019, 18:02   #4
BoroRover
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post
It's people like you then causing the problems!

The chip shop had burned down last year. Has it reopened?
I'm happy to report the Magpie Cafe is up and running again.

I'm not part of the problem....I'm part of the solution
BoroRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2019, 18:14   #5
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

2005 Connoisseur SE 1.8 Turbo,2004 45 1.8 Connoisseur and my beloved 1998 VVC Coupe.

Has anyone else spotted the white 75 Limo on the taxi rank opposite the railway station? I haven't seen it in a while though so may have been moved on.
Old 23rd April 2019, 19:05   #6
rontug
Loves to post

rover 75 Club SE cdt 2001

I am in Whitby at the moment.glad to say its back to normal,(no litter) the traders had a brilliant easterweekend to star the year,The reason the bridge was so crowded in that photo was due to the bridge breaking down and people and cars were unable to cross
rontug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2019, 11:10   #7
Briodyjl01
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer, Rover 75 Saloon

Good place to park is the road down the back of the station keep on it to the end and there will be a steep hill infront to some cottages and the road turns to the right. to the left you can walk to the railway crossing.... theres parking down the side of the bushes for about 4 or 5 cars not many know about it.
Old 25th April 2019, 13:03   #8
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

I park about a mile along from West cliff.Only takes around 20 mins to walk back to the harbour, it's much better than feeding a meter £6 for the greedy council.
Old 25th April 2019, 17:27   #9
reworht
This is my second home

Honda HR-V 1.6 i-DTEC SE Navi 5dr Diesel Hatchback

Thanked 2,156 Times in 1,497 Posts

The Park & Ride system works well - although I haven't used it on a Bank Holiday - I always give Whitby a wide berth on such days. Because I'm fairly local (half an hour ower the moors) and retired, we either pop in late afternoon, by which time a lot of the crowds are leaving to go home, or go mid-week and use the Park & Ride, which drops you right in the centre near the Co-op Supermarket.
As regards fish'n'chips, the Magpie isn't the only place that produces good grub - Trenchers, Hadleys and The Quayside are all worth trying - to name but a few

Rodney - you plonker!
... but more commonly known as Rod !
reworht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2019, 07:41   #10
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

We went on Saturday - It was heaving. (glad we weren't in the car) Still managed to get a pint in the jolly sailor, a nice piece of fish and a lemon top . Won't be going back on a bank holiday again though.

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote