Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 25th April 2019, 03:37   #1
Roker
Regular poster

2001 Connoisseur

Default ABS issue in Oz

Did a bit of rooting around in the forum and posted a request for info on a facebook site with mixed results per my issue. Any assistance greatly appreciated as this is the first time I have tackled what, for me at least, is normally left to the experts.
ABS light came on yesterday. No speedo now , fuel goes to full and the odometers stop working. Obviously a sensor failure, but am getting mixed messages as to whether it is front passenger, or front driver side. Can anyone assist please? Wouod rather not do both, but will buy two sensors in case it goes again.
Also, being a 2001 model and, not wishing to get the wrong one, are there any differences in part number of this item between the years of manufacture please?
I am being told to allow 1-2 hours to do the job and that the old sensor may fight me a bit getting it out and to be ultra clean when putting the new on in. Besides that, is there anything specific that I need to know, or is it one out, one in , start the engine and everything back to normal?

Just doing the Ebay thing and I find these things go for $20 up to $160. Obviously quality may be an issue with the cheapies. Any preference on brands for you guys that have done this in the past? What should be avoided ( presumably all things from the land of chop suey).

Thanks guys.

Last edited by Roker; 25th April 2019 at 04:32.. Reason: Further Spelling mistooks
Roker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2019, 07:45   #2
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roker View Post
Did a bit of rooting around in the forum and posted a request for info on a facebook site with mixed results per my issue. Any assistance greatly appreciated as this is the first time I have tackled what, for me at least, is normally left to the experts.
ABS light came on yesterday. No speedo now , fuel goes to full and the odometers stop working. Obviously a sensor failure, but am getting mixed messages as to whether it is front passenger, or front driver side. Can anyone assist please? Wouod rather not do both, but will buy two sensors in case it goes again.
Also, being a 2001 model and, not wishing to get the wrong one, are there any differences in part number of this item between the years of manufacture please?
I am being told to allow 1-2 hours to do the job and that the old sensor may fight me a bit getting it out and to be ultra clean when putting the new on in. Besides that, is there anything specific that I need to know, or is it one out, one in , start the engine and everything back to normal?

Just doing the Ebay thing and I find these things go for $20 up to $160. Obviously quality may be an issue with the cheapies. Any preference on brands for you guys that have done this in the past? What should be avoided ( presumably all things from the land of chop suey).

Thanks guys.
Given the back story of your car Alan, I would first of all check to mace sure the connectors to the back of the IPK are sound before you do anything else

Ir certainly won't hurt to break and remake the connections.........not literally of course

Brian

P.S. this has just reminded me, that I had something to collect from the land of red and white, that is assuming your sister hasn't hoyed the big cardboard box in the bin by now
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2019, 09:11   #3
Roker
Regular poster

2001 Connoisseur

Default ABS issue in Oz

How are you Brian?
I thought of that already and pulled out the IPK expecting to see a dangling connection. There was none, much to my dismay. I wiggled it and faffed with it a bit, but it changed nothing. So, I guess I must tackle the job of changing whichever is the offending item. Any info you can give me will be most appreciated.
Yes that box of bling should still be at my sister's. Let me know when you are passing down that way and I will make sure it is there ready. The set i have here is still sat in the box waiting to be fitted. No point in rushing things :-) Retirement is hard you know.....
Old 25th April 2019, 20:53   #4
victorgte
I really should get out more.......

MGTF, MGZT, Range Rover

I’m flying to Perth later this year to see my daughter. I’ll bring my tool box.
Old 27th April 2019, 03:16   #5
Roker
Regular poster

2001 Connoisseur

Default ABS Issue in oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorgte View Post
I’m flying to Perth later this year to see my daughter. I’ll bring my tool box.
Sounds like a rotten plan....

Last edited by Roker; 27th April 2019 at 14:28..
Old 28th April 2019, 11:52   #6
genpk
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon MGZT

hi alan, hows things out in the Vines?
I seem to recall reading somthing re the front drivers side Abs sensor failure causing symptoms similar to yours.
genpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2019, 12:28   #7
Roker
Regular poster

2001 Connoisseur

Default ABS issue in Oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by genpk View Post
hi alan, hows things out in the Vines?
I seem to recall reading somthing re the front drivers side Abs sensor failure causing symptoms similar to yours.
Thanks for that mate. Have to get a pair of these on order from Ebay. Running around with no ABS is no biggy, but no speedo when plod imposes double demerits on holiday weekends is not something I want to do.
Old 29th April 2019, 16:48   #8
Matt70
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roker View Post

Thanks guys.
Hi Roker,

I had the same problem solved today, you have to test the car with someone having T4 software.. In my case MOT failed because the dashboard indicate an issue with the ABS and I had to change the entire ECU.. . Please avoid to buy sensors or other things in ebay without testing your car with T4..

Cheers
Matt
Matt70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2019, 17:37   #9
Number 6
This is my second home

Rover 75 tourer Club CD/Limo Tints

Thanked 1,609 Times in 869 Posts

Avoid the cheapies like the plague,,,,, best off spending a bit more for peace of mind.

"I started out with nothing, and Ive still got most of it left!"
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2019, 11:01   #10
Roker
Regular poster

2001 Connoisseur

Default ABS issue in Oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 6 View Post
Avoid the cheapies like the plague,,,,, best off spending a bit more for peace of mind.
Just ordered 2 off from UK. Should be here in less than a week.Reg now in the big shed awaiting attention. Won't drive it without a speedo. Not with the overenthusiastic coppers in Perth.