Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 13th April 2019, 09:05   #11
m2n
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 2004 Contemporary SE 2.5 Auto

My trip was from Preston to Reading hence the miles, it was just all the very slow motorway traffic stop/start from Birmingham to Liverpool(return trip), was only after Liverpool the traffic got back to normal....ish
She was the: 103,715th 75 to run off production line, out of 112,381
She was the: 382nd 75 2.5 V6 Contemporary SE to be made out of 686
She was the: 1,415th 75 in Firefrost Red (code CEV) to be made out of 2,089 Firefrost Red 75's
m2n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2019, 09:15   #12
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2n View Post
Because Sir, the age of the car and the likely hood of issues arising it is a pleasure for the car to exceed the progress of the 18 plate BMW with the hood up on the M6.....
It might have been raining, if I were in a BMW convertible and the conditions were inclement, I certainly would have the hood up too

Anyway it matters not a jot whether a car is 12 months old or 40 years old, if something breaks it will be broken.

I don't see why you were surprised, or otherwise that your car "made it" if it's well maintained it's not surprising, nor anything to gloat about.

I run mine as an everyday, and not just for pootling about, it has to earn it's keep, if it were not reliable I would bin it off and get another car that was reliable.

I like to think the reason it is reliable however, is the fact it's maintained properly, and not just employed as an appliance.

However I expected the same reliability when I was covering 1800 miles per week in a Marina 10 CWT pick up truck, so I'm not surprised at all.

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2019, 09:21   #13
Lee T
Gets stuck in

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by planenut View Post
You lost me with ...............................all equates to 300 mph? or am I missing something?
It's clear the 4 hours was to cover Birmingham to Liverpool, I have covered that in 1 hrs 45mns in a HGV. Given the age of our cars now and the reliability issues they do have, I think a journey of that distance without issue is worthy of comment. Lee.
Old 13th April 2019, 20:56   #14
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee T View Post
It's clear the 4 hours was to cover Birmingham to Liverpool, I have covered that in 1 hrs 45mns in a HGV. Given the age of our cars now and the reliability issues they do have, I think a journey of that distance without issue is worthy of comment. Lee.
I think if you are surprised, or think it's a major achievement that a car is able to perform a round trip of that described by the OP without breaking down, means you cannot expect much of your own car.

I personally think this is very sad, why on earth shouldn't you reasonably expect a car to perform a very ordinary day to day job it was designed to do?

You should also bear in mind, I tend to see the "unreliable" aspect of these cars to a much greater extent than the average owner, and do I think it is a miraculous undertaking that I've covered over 3200 miles since the beginning of April ??.

The answer is no by the way

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2019, 00:46   #15
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

I dont get this pessimism either. One of my previous cars was a 150,000 mile B4 Passat, 15 years old (same as my ZT is now), not once did it fail to get me where I was going. A broken spring, which I was not aware of ultimately took out the shock, only put it off the road for a couple of days. But then they were original shocks. The MAF again original failed at 135,000 miles, and that didnt put it off the road. In the two and a half years I had it, it was not serviced as it was meant as a £400 stopgap, but not once did I fear it wouldnt get me where I needed to go.

I would have less confidence in a brand new car and even less in a newly released model.

The only failures I can envisage on our cars are either going to be down to wear and tear, cheap parts or poor maintenance (which leads to the first issue). But the youngest is now 14 years old, so you have to expect wear and tear, especially if there is a lot of miles under the belt. So if you do not make a little observation as with any car (oil water, staining, tyre wear etc) and it fails, then it is the owners fault and not the car.

The car I had before my last, was a 5 year old X-Type with all my researched common problems taken care of. Yet it still failed, and even main dealer failed to resolve. It was chopped in against another Passat after 3 months, because I did not have faith in it starting, never mind getting me to where I needed to go.

If you cannot have faith in a car, why keep it?

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2019, 06:03   #16
2750 HP
Loves to post

ZT CDTI, 190+, 260, Triumph TR4, Rolls Royce, Bentley and Mercedes E220d cabriolet

My daily driver is a 2005 ZTCDTi. For the last eleven years I have averaged just over 25,000 miles each and every year mostly for work all around the UK. I never think of will it or won't it get me to my destination. It always does. It is properly maintained and occasionally has a wash.
2750 HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2019, 08:39   #17
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
I dont get this pessimism either. One of my previous cars was a 150,000 mile B4 Passat, 15 years old (same as my ZT is now), not once did it fail to get me where I was going. A broken spring, which I was not aware of ultimately took out the shock, only put it off the road for a couple of days. But then they were original shocks. The MAF again original failed at 135,000 miles, and that didnt put it off the road. In the two and a half years I had it, it was not serviced as it was meant as a £400 stopgap, but not once did I fear it wouldnt get me where I needed to go.

I would have less confidence in a brand new car and even less in a newly released model.

The only failures I can envisage on our cars are either going to be down to wear and tear, cheap parts or poor maintenance (which leads to the first issue). But the youngest is now 14 years old, so you have to expect wear and tear, especially if there is a lot of miles under the belt. So if you do not make a little observation as with any car (oil water, staining, tyre wear etc) and it fails, then it is the owners fault and not the car.

The car I had before my last, was a 5 year old X-Type with all my researched common problems taken care of. Yet it still failed, and even main dealer failed to resolve. It was chopped in against another Passat after 3 months, because I did not have faith in it starting, never mind getting me to where I needed to go.

If you cannot have faith in a car, why keep it?

Similarly, I take my 19-year old Omega estate on 500 mile trips to drop the kids off at uni - with the estate fully loaded - without any worry about reliability. I would happily drive it on a 1500 mile walking trip up to the Highlands - as I did when it was 15 years of age couple of times. I drive it on family holidays to Cornwall etc. as it is our largest car covering over 1200 miles in a week.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote