Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 10th April 2019, 18:39   #1
Andrewh15

Rover 75

Default Clutch

Hi friends,
I recently purchased a Rover 75 Classic from a very decent fella who assured me that it had recently had work done on the clutch, replaced along with the flywheel. Some members may recall I asked for advice re bleeding the clutch as the pedal was very low and 1st and reverse gears were sometimes difficult to engage. I have followed the advice to the letter and now I find I can't get it into gear at all. I have now resorted to what the local garage owner calls the stick trick (holding the pedal down with a length of wood overnight). I'm now more than a little concerned and cheesed off as I'm getting nowhere fast, please can anyone help I really hope I haven't bought a dud !!!
Andrew.
Andrewh15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2019, 19:03   #2
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Sounds like a slave cylinder issue to me, do you know what parts were used in the clutch change?
Old 10th April 2019, 19:16   #3
Andrewh15

Rover 75

Sadly I have no idea re the parts used in the clutch change I don't have any paperwork to prove it was done just the guys word really.
Andrewh15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2019, 20:23   #4
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewh15 View Post
Sadly I have no idea re the parts used in the clutch change I don't have any paperwork to prove it was done just the guys word really.
Remove the air filter housing and take a picture of the slave cylinder pipework that exits the gearbox at the top.

Post the picture here, we will e able to tell you if it's on the original slave cylinder or not.
Old 10th April 2019, 21:02   #5
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Even easier to photograph, as he has a diesel no need to take off the airbox.

I'm still curious as to where in Durham Andrew hails from, bearing in mind I was in Chester Le Street today, Peterlee yesterday, and Brandon village on Monday, I'm generally kicking about and don't mind taking a look for him

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2019, 21:04   #6
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
Even easier to photograph, as he has a diesel no need to take off the airbox.
Yep, it sure would be
Old 10th April 2019, 21:52   #7
RogerHeinz57
I really should get out more.......

A Reasonably Priced Car

Thanked 1,064 Times in 712 Posts

When doing clutches on these, we always emptied out the master cylinder using an old piece of slave cylinder pipework plugged into the slave feed pipe, bled out all of the contaminated fluid, some were discharging plenty of black fluid containing particles. This is essential to do as the contaminates will only collect into the slave and do damage rendering the unit eventually as a failure.
This exercise took place doing mine two weeks ago, flushed out 4 reservoirs full before it came clean. As we know the main failure seems to be the slave cylinder for a number of reasons.
Hope you can sort it !
RogerHeinz57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2019, 22:18   #8
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerHeinz57 View Post
When doing clutches on these, we always emptied out the master cylinder using an old piece of slave cylinder pipework plugged into the slave feed pipe, bled out all of the contaminated fluid, some were discharging plenty of black fluid containing particles. This is essential to do as the contaminates will only collect into the slave and do damage rendering the unit eventually as a failure.
This exercise took place doing mine two weeks ago, flushed out 4 reservoirs full before it came clean. As we know the main failure seems to be the slave cylinder for a number of reasons.
Hope you can sort it !
Behold the Frabtel Master cylinder Bleedomatic 2000 (TM)

I go one step further John, and remove the master cylinder piston, clean out the make up valve, and wash out the reservoir with brake cleaner, then rebuild with a smear of red rubber grease.

Followed on by two bleeds, both using an easibleed, first one with the fluid shaken to aerate it, which scours the interior of the pipework then a second bleed with new fluid until it runs clear.

I generally then leave the master pressurised while I have a cuppa, to make sure there are no leaks from the piston, before finally disconnecting the quick coupler.

The master once the condom is replaced, which I tend to do by compressing it against the lid , then blocking the vent hole to prevent it from decompressing, this ensures only the minimum amount of fluid is actually displaced when refitting the lid, can be treated as prefilled "as new" and connected up to the slave.

But as you say, many slave "failures" are actually as a result of not flushing the master first

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote