Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 8th April 2019, 19:35   #1
spillybert
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTi

Default Bonnet cable

Hi guys the weekend i will be attempting to change the bonnet cable the short one from the splitter to inside the car including the handle got from the scrappy in good nick what worries me is the plastic panel does it come off easy and go back easy can you advise guys many thanksbowdown:
spillybert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2019, 07:44   #2
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Piece of cake this job

The lower a pillar trim needs to be removed, to do this pull the door seal away from the part next to the bonnet pull, then hook your fingers behind the trim next to the throttle pedal and tug toward the centre of the car, which releases the fir tree clip at the front of the panel, then repeat with the lower rear edge of the panel where it meets the carpet, which will release the panel from it's clip in the A pillar, allowing it to me manoeuvred away from the bonnet release pull, and the boot release button switch unplugged.

The bonnet pull itself is secured to the a pillar with two M6 bolts, and the cable disconnected from the pull by rotating it to align with the slot in the pull.

From inside the bonnet, unclip the shuttle divider box from the inner wing, remove the shuttle and disconnect the single cable end, then remove the rubber finisher from the upper wing edge, the offside plenum cover, and release the outer cable from it's clip just under the plenum cover.

Once this has been done, release the grommet from the inner bulkhead, and withdraw the cable forward out of the car.

Refitting is similar to removal, ensuring the cable is routed correctly inside the car to avoid kinking, and once the forward outer cable ferrule is refitted to the outer casing of the shuttle box, wind a few turns of insulating tape to the ferrule to increase it's diameter to make it impossible for it to disengage from the tapered slot........this being the primary reason for the bonnet failing to open

Finally, once everything is reassembled, with the help of an assistant, make sure that repeatedly pulling the bonnet release, results in the "half moons" of the striker plates in the slam panel retracting and returning fully before the bonnet is closed

It's not bad, just approach it methodically and you will be fine

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2019, 11:12   #3
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

I would also advise giving those”half moons” a good service.

On all my 75’s I’ve removed them, cleaned all the muck out and re lubed them before re fitting.

Makes pulling the bonnet release a dawdle.
Jim Jamieson is offline   Reply With Quote