Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Technology Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 3rd March 2019, 10:12   #1
humphshumphs
I really should get out more.......

No longer a Rover Owner

Location: As far east as you can go in the UK and not get wet feet.
Default Software to produce and Application

I need to write a very simple application for a family member, and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for what program to use.

A little background:

Application to run on a Windows 10 PC as a standalone application (not really wanting to run something else first)
Needs to store information in a database
Needs to print a single page report when required.

What do you use or recommend (want free or cheap if possible, as not likely to write too many applications lol)

No longer a 75 owner as my tourer made it to the moon, and died on it's way back. But 1/4 million miles ain't bad.
humphshumphs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2019, 15:05   #2
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

MS Access sound like an ideal platform.

Alternatively, how about Excel macros?
MSS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2019, 21:02   #3
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by humphshumphs View Post
I need to write a very simple application for a family member, and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for what program to use.

A little background:

Application to run on a Windows 10 PC as a standalone application (not really wanting to run something else first)
Needs to store information in a database
Needs to print a single page report when required.

What do you use or recommend (want free or cheap if possible, as not likely to write too many applications lol)

A bit of a chicken and egg question - If you don't know where to start then you've got a whole lot of learning to do first. By which time you'd have enough idea to make a better question and ask at the right forum for software development. If all you want is a simple report based on some data, then Excel might be all you need. A more complex solution might require a proper database - and there's many different ones to choose from. And any programming language to write the application in - some will be better suited than others...

Do you know how to design a database? How much data are you considering working with? how many tables (at a guess) etc.. etc.. Where will the data come from, how will it get into the database? What prior experience (relevant to software engineering) do you have?... and more.

Throwing any solution suggestion out without more information than 'produce a report from some data' is really quite meaningless I'm afraid. You can develop in many programming languages/ data driven environments for many solutions. Choosing the optimal solution is the tricky bit, that requires a lot more information & research.

If you think that what you are attempting is simple requiring very little data manipulation then try a spreadsheet. - Although that wouldn't strictly meet your 'standalone application' requirement.

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2019, 06:31   #4
humphshumphs

No longer a Rover Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avulon View Post
A bit of a chicken and egg question - If you don't know where to start then you've got a whole lot of learning to do first. By which time you'd have enough idea to make a better question and ask at the right forum for software development. If all you want is a simple report based on some data, then Excel might be all you need. A more complex solution might require a proper database - and there's many different ones to choose from. And any programming language to write the application in - some will be better suited than others...

Do you know how to design a database? How much data are you considering working with? how many tables (at a guess) etc.. etc.. Where will the data come from, how will it get into the database? What prior experience (relevant to software engineering) do you have?... and more.

Throwing any solution suggestion out without more information than 'produce a report from some data' is really quite meaningless I'm afraid. You can develop in many programming languages/ data driven environments for many solutions. Choosing the optimal solution is the tricky bit, that requires a lot more information & research.

If you think that what you are attempting is simple requiring very little data manipulation then try a spreadsheet. - Although that wouldn't strictly meet your 'standalone application' requirement.
I do know where to start with the production of this application, but it was more of a 'what do people use themselves to write an application' sort of question.

As with most software development, I am not going to give information away that the client doesn't want in the public domain so to speak (even though that client is family).

But to give a little more...... the data will be entered by the client as needed, and reports printed based on the entered data. Oh, and it needs to be accessible by more that one PC at a time, so Excel isn't suitable.

No longer a 75 owner as my tourer made it to the moon, and died on it's way back. But 1/4 million miles ain't bad.
Old 4th March 2019, 08:30   #5
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Quote:
I do know where to start with the production of this application, but it was more of a 'what do people use themselves to write an application' sort of question.

As with most software development, I am not going to give information away that the client doesn't want in the public domain so to speak (even though that client is family).

But to give a little more...... the data will be entered by the client as needed, and reports printed based on the entered data. Oh, and it needs to be accessible by more that one PC at a time, so Excel isn't suitable.

Well, you can let us know how you get on and what tools and languages you settle on using then. I thought the OP was an honest request for some helpful suggestions... And your last sentence may be incorrect btw.

Where?:
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
Old 4th March 2019, 12:42   #6
humphshumphs

No longer a Rover Owner

Quote:
Well, you can let us know how you get on and what tools and languages you settle on using then. I thought the OP was an honest request for some helpful suggestions... And your last sentence may be incorrect btw.

Excel may allow multiple people to access the data, but every time I have, one opens in read/write, and the rest in read only which is a pain.

I was after suggestions as to what software others used. I am in the process of writing the required application in WinDev. Can use multiple versions of SQL amongst other things, and allows rapid application building.

Good product, just bleeding expensive.

Old 4th March 2019, 15:37   #7
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Quote:
Excel may allow multiple people to access the data, but every time I have, one opens in read/write, and the rest in read only which is a pain.

I was after suggestions as to what software others used. I am in the process of writing the required application in WinDev. Can use multiple versions of SQL amongst other things, and allows rapid application building.

Good product, just bleeding expensive.

Twice the price of Visual Studio.... Of course both of these have free versions for non-commercial use...

Where?:
Mods/Retrofits:

To do:
Old 4th March 2019, 20:01   #8
humphshumphs

No longer a Rover Owner

Quote:
Twice the price of Visual Studio.... Of course both of these have free versions for non-commercial use...
The free version of Windev time limits the applications made (they stop working after a few weeks).

I have the Visual Studio community edition for playing with websites, but like Windev for producing applications as can also make them 'mobile' in a couple of clicks.

Over the years I must have spent more on software than I have on cars