Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > The Valeting Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 6th January 2014, 12:37   #11
Heddy
This is my second home

None

Thanked 1,161 Times in 924 Posts

The technique is probably more important Clyde TBH. Use a mitt and not a sponge (picks up grit into the fibres) Also rinse the mitt between re-soaping.
Heddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2014, 16:05   #12
Supervinnie40
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 1.8 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heddycdt View Post
The technique is probably more important Clyde TBH. Use a mitt and not a sponge (picks up grit into the fibres) Also rinse the mitt between re-soaping.
As a detailer I have to agree with this.
I can get much better results with cheap polish then a novice with the best polish available.
Technique, equipment and knowing what you do gives 90% of the result.

Also, when you're looking at a proper polish (not talking about the so called 'polish + wax' products) it also depends what kind of paintwork you've got. You might wanna use PCW intense polish on a Ford Focus, but you'll want to use Menzerna on a VW or Audi.
Washing properly, claying with the right products, removing iron fallout etc. is just as important but gets looked over quite often. I can sometimes spend a good 6 hours on just cleaning the paintwork before I think it's clean enough to start polishing properly.

For those that are looking for a quick fix, try some glaze like Blacklight or Black Hole on dark colors and White Diamond on a lighter color.
It will mask the swirls and make the paint look a lot better.
(this is just a quick fix, even with a proper coat of wax covering it, it will still only last a couple of weeks....)
Old 6th January 2014, 19:06   #13
Saga Lout
This is my second home

MG ZT and Rover 75,

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,037 Posts
Default I Use..

Turtlewax...or Autoglym. The secret is always to make sure the coating is ready to wax, this can involve a cutting compound on older paint or a bar on newer finishes. I can put a glass finish on most cars if the paint is in a fair condition, usually they are but dull due to powerwashing and TFR in those washes.
I never polish a car with a buffer if it needs a deep clean, I do it by hand and it can be hard but worth the effort. The car must be squeaky clean for a cutting session, degrease the door jambs and really hose out the arches to remove the dried mud, pay attention to the tyres, as the arch mud lands on them and can find its way back to the car.
If you want to T Cut a car, it's hard and I'd say do it in twelve inch sections, the cutting polish can be hard to remove, here's the trick to get it off, wipe it over with the polishing off cloth, then get another cloth and go over it with the wax, rub it well into the cutting polish, let it dry and then it will buff off easily. After the whole car has been cut and buffed once, do the whole car with a well rubbed in wax polish..removing it is sheer joy as the gleaming paint reveals itself. My ZT is coming along very nicely, I'm hoping to get it very good for the coming season...

Last edited by Saga Lout; 10th December 2015 at 12:47..
Saga Lout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2014, 01:15   #14
Jules
This is my second home

ZT 260 SE Twilight and 10 other 75 ZT's :O

Thanked 1,116 Times in 763 Posts
Default Only 2 products used

Have to say I don't use many products at all on Mrs Jules ZT !!
And it still looks like this.

Pressure Wash with a PH neutral snow foam
Then micro fibre cloth gentle wipe.
(anything stronger will strip any polishes off !!)
I use baby wipes or similar for the alloys (4 wipes per alloy to minimise scratching)

Once a year R222 Carnauba Wax

Mrs Jules still loves her Ignition Blue CDTi.

It came with some nice factory extras too and has been 100% reliable.
Apart from servicing all I had to fit was my uprated fan resistor kit when we first bought her 5 years ago!

Remote Webasto and Timer
Cruise
Rain sensor
Blue Axis Half Leather Seats
Message Center
Traffic Master
Smartnav

Newbies do now!!
1. Plenum drains..all 3 or 4 year dependent
2. Cooling fan..All speeds functioning
3. Bonnet cable divider block
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2014, 18:18   #15
sytneraudi10
Banned

Rover 75 Jap Spec V6, MG ZT 1.8T 160

I have always used the original blue Mer's products for everything. Even used the clay kit they did.

However when it all changed to black I switched to Menzerna and was disappointed. Its a pro product but I am not a valet so my results wear far from what I expected but when the products been used by a pro the results are flawless.

The SF stuff is the business. I then used AG because the valets at work use it and it was rubbish for me.

So had to bite the bullet and bought the new Mer's black deep finishing wax and what can I say. It stinks and turns your hands pick but it makes my cars shine like new every time and last for ages.

I'm still not a fan of the reduced Mer's range but the deep finishing wax is perfect and not to expensive.

I did once try the TurtleWax Ice Wax and to be fair it was more a sealer/protector. It would be perfect if you used a good quality wax before and just used the Ice stuff to keep the protection ongoing as it was super quick to apply and buffed off well and also lasted a long time.
sytneraudi10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2014, 11:32   #16
Tatts
This is my second home

MG6 TL

Over the years I've tried loads of different polishes, but for the price & ease of use (I use a Megs DA polisher), Auto Glym Super Resin Polish is hard to beat. Topped off with Nattys Poor Boys Blue wax.
Tatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2014, 16:58   #17
Jules
This is my second home

ZT 260 SE Twilight and 10 other 75 ZT's :O

Thanked 1,116 Times in 763 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatts View Post
Auto Glym Super Resin Polish is hard to beat.
Mmm have to disagree there Tatts!
My neighbour tried some on his brand new Black Audi A3 few years back and it actually put swirl marks onto a test area.
This was using a brand new microfibre cloth (also tried different cloths)

Auto Glym Super Resin is actually abrasive (very fine grade) but depending on how perfect a finish you are trying to achieve is prob ok for an every day car.
For a show car it's a no no.

Newbies do now!!
1. Plenum drains..all 3 or 4 year dependent
2. Cooling fan..All speeds functioning
3. Bonnet cable divider block
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2014, 17:04   #18
FrazzleTC
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer

Thanked 1,178 Times in 920 Posts

I tend to use Zymöl car shampoo, or Meguiar's Gold Class shampoo for washing, and, when using a wheel cleaner, I use heavily diluted Bilberry wheel cleaner. I usually dress the tyres with Meguiar's endurance tyre gel, even when just washing the car. I dry the car with a drying towel, which I find very effective indeed.
In terms of polishing, I tend to go for Autoglym Super Resin polish, and it's topped with Collinite 476S. For the inside of the arches, I dress them with Autoglym vinyl and rubber care (only during the summer, if the weather's nice. No point during the winter). I do any exterior plastics with Autoglym bumper care, which beads nicely for a long time.
Here's how my 75 looks after a wash during the winter.
2013 Mercedes SLK250 CDI
FrazzleTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2014, 18:17   #19
Tatts
This is my second home

MG6 TL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
Mmm have to disagree there Tatts!
My neighbour tried some on his brand new Black Audi A3 few years back and it actually put swirl marks onto a test area.
This was using a brand new microfibre cloth (also tried different cloths)

Auto Glym Super Resin is actually abrasive (very fine grade) but depending on how perfect a finish you are trying to achieve is prob ok for an every day car.
For a show car it's a no no.
Thats odd! I used SRP & a cutting pad to de-swirl my black SLK.

Most polishes are by definition slightly abrasive & many contain fillers, but I've never heard of SRP causing swirls. I've seen some spectacular results by pro-detailers using AG products.

Think I'll email AG & see what they say.
Tatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2014, 21:00   #20
Zafonic
Banned

Rover 75 Conni cdt 160

There is far better products around than AG

Last summer I used the Auto Finesse and Sonax Extreme ranges and every variant surpassed everything from AG, the Sonax Plastic/trim restorer is ground breaking stuff as is the QD
Zafonic is offline   Reply With Quote